• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Mirrored Maps

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Ok, I apolagize in advance if I'm stealing someone else's thunder by posting this, but I want to know!! Why are the maps mirrored in TP's two different games??? (GC and Wii)

It doesn't make any sense. In case you're confused, a "mirrored map" is the game's layout being reversed; east becomes west, and vice versa. What is the point of this?????:S

Please explain. Thanks.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
TP was originally developed for the Gamecube, with Link being left-handed as is traditional. But then Miyamoto upended the teatable and they began working on the Wii version to make use of the Wii Remote. To do this, they needed Link to be right-handed so it felt natural to players. The game was so far into development though that it would be a huge pain to make new models, so they just flipped everything. Aonuma explains it a little better:

Next, the motion sensor. I had been thinking about direct controls like swinging a remote to have Link swing his sword and wanted to push the experience of playing even further. When we tried changing the camera perspective from one that normally is in third person to one that switches to Link's first-person perspective in battle. Please watch this movie. For this prototype, all we did was change this perspective to the first-person view we currently had. We haven't tweaked things like the spacing between Link and enemies, so it's really awkward, but having played this version in first person, we didn't think this was the most effective way of presenting battles. Link normally has a variety of movements, but when he enters into battle with his enemies, which has come to be known as core scene in Zelda, if that variety is lost, it feels very strange.

So, we brought the camera back to the third-person view and swung the Wii remote like a sword. This time we saw problems that we hadn't noticed when the camera was in the first-person perspective, and we made the decision to abandon using the motion sensor to swing the sword. The reason for this is that the player character of Link is left handed. You see, when a player had the Wii remote in his right hand and swung it, it felt strange because on the screen Link would swing the sword that was in his left hand, and this was something that couldn't be avoided. This might seem trivial, but the act of shaking the remote is a control that the player physically experiences, and if it doesn't match up with what is happening on the screen, then it becomes something that has no effect at all, and ultimately this becomes something that is considered extraneous control.

Because the sword control was the most direct in Zelda, it was the one that we most wanted to implement, so we were very disappointed that we could not use it. We settled upon the assigning sword swinging to the B trigger played in the past. ...

Key assignment doesn't seem like a big deal if you look at it objectively, but it was a great challenge to assign the same number of functions with significantly fewer keys to work with, and once we assigned one, we had to reassign another. That thing happened when we decided to assign items to the B trigger button. Until then, we had been using the B trigger button for the sword control, but actually, ever since we started reconsidering the key assignment for the sword at E3, we already decided that we had to go with another control, the control that users wanted to perform. I'm talking about the motion sensor swing. When we were developing the E3 version, we knew that it felt strange for Link to be left-handed, so we removed that, but if we still wanted to implement that control, we would have to make him right-handed. However, in order to do this, we would have had to redo Link's character in the game, which, with only four months left in development, would have been impossible.

It was at that time that we thought if we flipped the entire world laterally, so that left and right were reversed, Link would be right-handed, and that decision to use this bold solution was made. Some of the staff members criticized the idea, saying that it wasn't the final course layout that they designed and that the composition would be thrown off. They had a hard time with it at first, but after personally playing the game, the feeling of strangeness was gone after only a week, and in contrast, the original GameCube version started to feel strange. I knew that end users would feel the same way and I convinced my staff of this as well. Of course, the effect of these changes was immense, and giving the player the ability to swing the remote to make Link swing his sword was imperative to this game.

You should read the whole GDC 2007 keynote while you're at it. It's very enlightening.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
TP was originally developed for the Gamecube, with Link being left-handed as is traditional. But then Miyamoto upended the teatable and they began working on the Wii version to make use of the Wii Remote. To do this, they needed Link to be right-handed so it felt natural to players. The game was so far into development though that it would be a huge pain to make new models, so they just flipped everything. Aonuma explains it a little better in an interview that I'll find for you.

Ohh, I see. Untill I see that interview, however, I shall remain under the impression that they only needed to flip Link, not the whole map! If that's possible. I dunno. Either way, thank you. This is very enlightening.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Ohh, I see. Untill I see that interview, however, I shall remain under the impression that they only needed to flip Link, not the whole map! If that's possible. I dunno. Either way, thank you. This is very enlightening.
Yeah, I also think that would've been enough. But then again maybe some cutscenes would've looked weird with a normal environment and only flipped Link. I don't think that any puzzles in the game really rely on Link's handedness.

Flipping Link means they have to flip the enemies, because the enemies hold their weapons a certain way to defend and attack Link. They also wanted to Wii version to have a different feel, and it actually does feel different playing it mirrored. It's kind of cool to experience both ways. Really it was just much easier to flip the game then flip each individual enemy.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
I am guessing they did it so he looked natural in the cutscenes. I Link was in the wrong position, it would look weird. But I got messed up when playing, because I was watching some walkthroughs for the Lakebed Temple and everything was backwards. I didn't get the hint until I started playing...........and got totally lost. But the Lakebed Temple is confusing anyways, so that didn't help.

zachev2kool

Hero of Winds
I've played through the Wii version of Twilight Princess four times now and I've always been interested in playing the GameCube version just to see what the game's like flipped. I just might have to hop on Craigslist sometime and see if I can find a copy for cheap.

Pen

The game is on!
Old Man - Legend of Neil, Season 1, Episode 5 - Map Questing

When using the map, you should use all of it! Now maybe these are your favorite parts, but this is important too. Maps show you were to go, and on maps things are smaller than they really are! If you were on a map you would be this big. This, you'd be like this! Buh, buh, buh. Buh, buh, buh, buh, buh. This is the room that holds the Triforce! And you will need this to complete this level!

Haha! :lol: Unbeatable quote from Legend of Neil!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom