• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mini Ice Age On It's Way

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
So since this should be a mini ice age, do I need to take notes from the movie Ice Age to learn how to survive when this happens?? :)

I find these demands for papers to be really funny. Considering it COSTS MONEY to read them.
You just need a university login to access them. Trust me, NOBODY in academia pays the price you see for unsolicited access to an article.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
You just need a university login to access them. Trust me, NOBODY in academia pays the price you see for unsolicited access to an article.
Yeah, sure. A University login that costs, at minimum $10,000 a year, at least, probably more, to have. Once you're out of college, or if you never could afford it, you can't have that login. But can we please stop talking about this in here? We can continue it in the other thread actually about global warming.

I'm still waiting for someone to start discussing the issue of the status of the persistant storms in the other parts of the solar system after this happens. I also wonder what influence it's going to have on Earth storms. That's incredibly hard to predict of course. But storms do need both hot and cold air. Maybe this would mean that certain things like Tornados might happen in places they didn't before. But I'm not sure anyone can be sure about that.

Yeah, sure. A University login that costs, at minimum $10,000 a year, at least, probably more, to have. Once you're out of college, or if you never could afford it, you can't have that login.
Most universities allow you to keep your email address and accompanying system login for life these days - I just assumed you would still have yours, assuming you're of college age.

Also I'm not talking about the global warming debate at all. I think this is an important side note to anyone wanting to research anything.

Diego

Donger King of leis
I'm still waiting for someone to start discussing the issue of the status of the persistant storms in the other parts of the solar system after this happens.
Duuuuude, I found that topic really interesting, and it seriously catches my eye, but for real: that's super-offtopic! :)
This is a joke-ish thread about a possible Ice Age, not about Solar-Cycles and how they affect the outer planets :3

I'm cool with it

anything having to do with Climate change is going to get heated.
Can we chill with the puns?

Anyway I've lived in Florida for nearly a decade and I welcome a mini ice age with open arms. Hopefully we end up learning something during this period for the benefit of Earth and science in the long run.

From the article:

The conditions predicted have not been experienced since the last "mini ice age" which lasted from 1645 to 1715, called the Maunder Minimum.

No, this is wrong. There will indeed be a minimum in sunspot activity. However, conditions will not be like they were during the Maunder Minimum, because anthropogenic climate change has radically altered our planet's system. We are headed for an accelerated increase in global temperature; the solar minimum will only have a small effect in comparison.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/07/13/3679662/global-warming-speed-up-not-ice-age/
http://www.skepticalscience.com/grand-solar-minimum-barely-dent-AGW.html

Grand_Solar_Min_1024.jpg

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
From the article:

No, this is wrong. There will indeed be a minimum in sunspot activity. However, conditions will not be like they were during the Maunder Minimum, because anthropogenic climate change has radically altered our planet's system. We are headed for an accelerated increase in global temperature; the solar minimum will only have a small effect in comparison.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/07/13/3679662/global-warming-speed-up-not-ice-age/
http://www.skepticalscience.com/grand-solar-minimum-barely-dent-AGW.html

Grand_Solar_Min_1024.jpg
We're not going to be able to get around this involving climate change are we? I thought we weren't going to discuss this? Ughh...... I guess we can't avoid it now if people are going to try to undermine this finding in the name of climate change alarmism. These articles are frauds. They are using the OLD models of solar activity from five years ago, and not the one developed for this study that made this prediction, note that nagging "2010" in the corner. While the model for this latest news is very recent and couldn't have been used in that graph. Proponents of man-made climate change belief have always disregarded the impact the sun has on the climate. Funny thing... the sun is the source of all of our climate. If the input changes, it'll drastically change the result. And the input is going to significantly change. I figured climate alarmists would immediately try to debunk this study the moment that they realized it shattered their mythology. There's still the issue they're disregarding that this model has a 97% match with previous solar cycles while the previous models did not and the climate models have never been right and can't even match what's already happened. They're lying to you, you know what the truth is? The truth is no one has any idea what is going to happen. But there is no way there will not be a cooldown because the input is going to signifcantly drop. By how much though is uncertain and we do not have the ability to be certain. All we can do is wait and see.

We're not going to be able to get around this involving climate change are we? I thought we weren't going to discuss this? Ughh...... I guess we can't avoid it now if people are going to try to undermine this finding in the name of climate change alarmism. These articles are frauds. They are using the OLD models of solar activity from five years ago, and not the one developed for this study that made this prediction, note that nagging "2010" in the corner. While the model for this latest news is very recent and couldn't have been used in that graph. Proponents of man-made climate change belief have always disregarded the impact the sun has on the climate. Funny thing... the sun is the source of all of our climate. If the input changes, it'll drastically change the result. And the input is going to significantly change. I figured climate alarmists would immediately try to debunk this study the moment that they realized it shattered their mythology. There's still the issue they're disregarding that this model has a 97% match with previous solar cycles while the previous models did not and the climate models have never been right and can't even match what's already happened. They're lying to you, you know what the truth is? The truth is no one has any idea what is going to happen. But there is no way there will not be a cooldown because the input is going to signifcantly drop. By how much though is uncertain and we do not have the ability to be certain. All we can do is wait and see.

I recommend clicking the first link that I posted instead of just seeing the plot, zeroing in on the 2010 in the right-hand corner and instantly saying "five years old, therefore false!", because then you'll see this:

Whatever near-term jump we see in the global temperatures is thus likely to be followed by an accelerating global warming trend — one that would utterly overwhelm any natural variations such as a temporary reduction in solar intensity. A recent study concluded that “any reduction in global mean near-surface temperature due to a future decline in solar activity is likely to be a small fraction of projected anthropogenic warming.”

The recent study (date of publication in Nature: June 2015):
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150623/ncomms8535/abs/ncomms8535.html

The authors note that the effect on Earth's global temperature due to the sunspot minimum is only a fraction of the effect of anthropogenic warming, although there will be temperature drops on a smaller regional scale due to the Arctic and North Atlantic Oscillations, corresponding to a dip in winter temperatures in Europe and North America (essentially the equivalent of adding another five days of frost per year in some parts of the northern hemisphere during the minimum). This science blog elaborates on the findings of that article in more detail:

http://www.carbonbrief.org/blog/2015/06/solar-minimum-could-bring-cold-winters-to-europe-and-us/

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Oh, fudge this...
It seems that it is impossible to have a non-serious thread about anything anymore :(
I'm content to make it non-serious and disregard the..... other stuff that is irrelevant and not worth the time. Have any ideas? Should we make iglos? Big snowshoes? Parkas?

Aku

Well, since I live up north (Pennsylvania), whatever is cold, will get colder. I'm betting we'll get lots more minus F weather, probably down into the -20s if it gets severe. :P

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
There's really nothing we can really do in just 15 years. About all we can do is wait and see what happens. Then we'll see who was right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom