• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Mid Game Cutscene!

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'm really amused by how you assume Link automatically has to talk just because others do. That's not the case. Just look at Metroid Prime 3. Samus didn't talk, but everyone else did. And it worked tremendously and didn't feel invasive. Nintendo would never make Link talk. They know not to, and for the reasons you stated.

Conversely I think even having the NPCs talk would be a hindrance to Zelda's immersiveness. Voice acting would disallow us from putting our own emotions into the game as spoken words tell us what we're supposed to think, contrary to written text. Granted, VA could work out with this franchise as it has with others, such as Metroid and Starfox even, but I personally never want to see it touch Zelda because 1) it doesn't quite fit and 2) it would ruin the series over time, IMO.

If they spoke everything that was written they would be given lengthy speeches- remember, people read faster than they speak.
...I'm assuming you've never played a game with voice acting, then, if you're going to pretend there is never a long speech in a game

I just love the way Ghirahim is moving while he speaks to Link about how he's ruining his plans.

Plus, I can't help but feel sad for Link at the end, if it hadn't been for Ghirahim, he'd be with the girl he loves right now.

Kazumi

chagy
This is a pretty awesome cut scene. The Goddess' Harp is really fun to play with the Wii remote. It's quite an interesting addition.

Conversely I think even having the NPCs talk would be a hindrance to Zelda's immersiveness. Voice acting would disallow us from putting our own emotions into the game as spoken words tell us what we're supposed to think, contrary to written text. Granted, VA could work out with this franchise as it has with others, such as Metroid and Starfox even, but I personally never want to see it touch Zelda because 1) it doesn't quite fit and 2) it would ruin the series over time, IMO.

Anyway, to respond to this. I don't mean to sound rude, but the statement that voice acting would reduce the immersiveness of Zelda is ridiculous. Since when has voice acting ever made something less immersive? The point of being immersed in something is that it seems real, that it's believable, and above all, that it's like real life. In real life, people speak out loud. Text boxes don't appear in front of them as their lips move awkwardly when want to say something. All of the most immersive games out there, in my opinion, have voice acting, and good voice acting at that. This is because voice acting reflects a lot more on real life, and makes you believe that you are actually a character within that world a lot more than a block of text. I understand that it's a "tradition" for all of the characters in Zelda to be quiet, but it's not a very good one. I cringe a bit every time there is a conversation with a character in Skyward Sword and I see their lips awkwardly moving, and no speech comes out. I'm just forced to read the text. I don't have a problem with reading, but it just seems a bit silly to hold onto this tradition.

I also don't understand how voice acting will "ruin the game over time". Have games such as Final Fantasy, which adopted voice acting at the earliest opportunity, been ruined because of it? The first FF game to have voice acting was Final Fantasy 7 for the PS1, and FF games have had voice acting ever since. If anything it's just enriched the story of the Final Fantasy games and made it more interesting and believable. Again, this is just my opinion. Sorry if I come off a little harsh.

C

cjc1997

Here's the case for you derps out there:
Voice acting=good
link talking=bad
voice acting=immersive
text=un immersive (takes you out of the experiece, dont you hate when you see a beutiful cutscene, but then it completely pauses if you dont press A to scroll text?)

Now, lets get back on topic, shall we :3

I am going to hope/assume that you play games that are not made by Nintendo. I will also assume those games have voice acting. Do you feel those games are "less immersive" because you can hear what they're saying?

T

themaddoughnut

holy crap! mt favorite scene ive seen so far of ss is this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom