• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Merger Hypothesis

Evil Space Fish

Hyrule's village Jester
Okay, before I begin, I am new here and I thank those that have welcomed me. I've been playing Zelda games pretty much all my life. I don't claim to have the correct timeline (like the OcarinaHero10 video) but a good friend of mine and myself have dedicated the month of November and still going on thru December to play and beat all the games in the series per a timeline he and I set. This actual thread won't break down my entire timeline yet as I do want to make a good balanced video about our findings which after our quest through the games, we'll make and post on YouTube or something.

Also before I begin, I have started this debate in other timeline threads and I figure what better way to develop my theory than to get feedback and critisism for it. I welcome all who have opposing views (which there will be a lot lol) to post your thoughts and views on this subject.

With that said, here's a hypothesis I've been working on.

You can see my timeline theory in my signature. I'm not trying to debate the positioning of that yet, just the end of it where I place the Oracle games. The idea I've got going thru my thick brain is that the Seasons take place at the end of AT. That side of the timeline is just cursed with bad things happening (ie. The Great Flood, LoZ's rough landscape to name a few) as well as enemies from LoZ (Gleeok, Manhandla, etc). I place Ages on the CT because of the "ages" of the hero that seems to be the theme (ie. a new Link in TP, a new Link in MC, and a new Link in 4S) However, I place ALttP on the CT opposite of the original series. Whether you believe this to be true or not isn't neccesary right now, just humor me in a "what if?" situation.

So let's say that you've got two different quests with two different Links on two different timelines happening at the same exact time. I think this is at least plausable to grasp and I'll explain. At the end of AoL, Link wins the ToC and at this point, the ToX is complete thus sending Link on his quest to Holodrum. After Ganon's defeat at the end of ALttP, he aquires the complete ToX and also after his quest from Koholint, the ToX summons him to travel to Labrynna. Now what we have are 2 Link's on a simultaneous quest given by the Triforce. It's been argued; how can you have two Link's become one if the timeline merges up. Well how can you have the Trifoce sending the same Link on two quests at the same time if they are placed together on one timeline? It's a quandry no matter how you try to say it. After Link completes both quests, you have to link the games to fight 'Tard Ganon. Now I know I'm prolly breaking the 'video game 4th wall' on this, but seriously, you can't beat the games without linking up and defeating Ganon. During this link, both Links from both sides become one no matter which game you played first. When the history of these timelines end, the legend still continues anew. Just because the timeline possibly connects together here, doesn't negate either side of the story, rather it melds the history into legend as the game titles suggest. Here's another good point to consider, the Twinrova only appear on the CT side after OoT. Now you can place both Oracle games plausibly on the same timeline but like I said, it's still a mess to think 1 Link is doing two things at once. They never say if one happens before and it prolly doesn't matter.

Why do you have a merge? Merges make absolutely no sense. I understand that some of the older games are hard to place but that's not because Nintendo has thrown a secret merge into the timeline, it's because those games were made before a tiemline was being pursued. A merge makes much more problems then it fixes. You're suggesting that two completely different dimensions (adult timeline and child timeline) somehow become one. That would mean that one dimension's Link and Zelda and any other duplicates would have to disappear to make one person. There can only be one true history and one true Link and one true Zelda and so on and so forth. It's way too messy of an idea for Nintendo to successfully pull off.

This was a great eye opener on a previous post and I commend Zeman for bringing some light to it. My explaination for this is based on the ToX completed. It seems like no one has ownership of the ToX after either game as the Oracle's suggest, it's in a shrine and it's commanding Link to take a quest. With that in mind, it's owned by itself or at least finally in the hands of the good guys. I would imagine the ToX can neatly restore any wrong doings from the past (ie. the split after OoT) which should be well within it's capabilities. Now erasing an entire history is just absurd to think and I'm not trying to say that the ToX just off'd an entire timeline. Those legends can still be passed down through time on either side. What we have here is more of a merging of Link rather than the entire land. Link was split after OoT. We see a new Link in TP and in TWW on the other side but they both are chosen by the ToC on 2 seperate sides of the timeline. Both sides of my timeline also have Spectacle Rock featured (ALttP and TWW if on diff sides) so it's not hard to see that either Hyrule... on either side... rounded out to be the same geographical land structure at the end of each line. As far as merging Zelda, she appears to need resucing by Link after you link the games together. I know I'm basing that off of literally linking the systems but is it plausible? Is it debatable? Yes!

So two completely seperate Link's become one? Two Hyrule's become one? Two histories come together?

Here's what I think when I think of a merge: "Ahh that was a lot of rain yesterday", "what rain?", "the rain that hit Hyrule castle...", "there was no rain near Hyrule castle yesterday, it was completely sunny...", etc

It's just stupid and ridiculous. At what point do the histories become the same, and what happens to the old histories? What happens to different people on the two different timelines?

Splits are ridiculous and illogical.

Oh and if you're saying the two games take place on different timelnes, and bring them together in the end, that's even more ridiculous as people from one game reference people from another.

Another good point to argue. My retort is that no matter if there are two Link's doing these Oracle quests on one timeline or two, the ToX is the key here. Those histories do not disapear, both legends of the timeline converge to reveal one main point that was missed... there's only 1 Triforce. Anyway you look at it after the OoT split, the same ToX exists in two Hyrulean histories. Where does it ever say that there are more than 1 ToX? But that can be used as an anti-split timeline hypothesis as well. The Triforce are the sacred golden triangles left behind by the godesses with omnipotent abilities to it's user of pure heart and since it seems that there is no one in direct control of the ToX in the Oracle games, it would be plausible that the ToX realized the split and rights it self out. Unfortunatly for my argument, I can't say that any game definatly takes place after a merger although I have been guessing that ST could be that game, but it wouldn't make any sense as we all agree that it's about 100 years after PH. As far as referencing people from either OoS or OoA, this is something that happens throughout the series and off the top of my head (and being at work writting this) I can't think of names. I do know that Tingle is on both sides of the timeline as well as it would seem Impa is too.

Now like I said, I don't know if my hypothesis is correct. I don't claim to KNOW the timeline. These are my best educated guesses based on my experiences thru all the games.

I hereby open the flood gates lol. This is a subject I've thought about for awhile and I want other's takes on it. Please be respectful with your feedback, thanks.

(PS. On a side note, I haven't gotten a thing done at work today lol.)

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Something I hadn't noticed from the previous discussion on this in another thread is that you believe that OoS is at the end of the AT while OoA is at the end of the CT. I don't know how I missed that but I can explain why a merger doesn't work here.

As SoJ has pointed out, characters from one game reference characters from the other. This means that if each game takes place on a different timeline then that means that each side of the timeline has knowledge of the other side meaning that Link knows that there is another Link, Zelda knows there is another Zelda and Ganny knows there is another Ganny. There is no prior game that shows any knowledge of an opposing sideline and if Ganny knew there was another one of him running around you can bet your butt he would be trying to find a way to join forces with himself.

That was more of a tangent than my actual point. OoA and OoS can be played in a linked game. This means that the 2 games just take place in a row. It doesn't matter what order you play them in, but the bottom line is that they are just 2 adventures that Link has back to back. A merger idea requires all sorts of speculation whereas it's much easier to just have OoA and OoS on one side of the timeline in whatever order you want. Most people refer to them as one unit and call them OoX.

Bottom line is this, a merger creates a lot of work to make it even plausible. Nintendo would never go for something so complicated. You can talk and speculate about a merger all you want but I'm pretty positive that there is no merger so why waste the time trying to make one work when you know it's not the case?

The big hint that there is no merger is the fact that the characters from one game reference characters from another. It's just blind leading the blind if you're going to go for a merger timeline and I don't think many people will take it seriously.

Evil Space Fish

Hyrule's village Jester
Very true. I know it's hard to comprehend but you know I just had to make a thread about it lol. You're prolly right but with the similarities and how I got my timeline setup, it just seems that the games take place on a different side. I can see them running back to back though. Not sure which side but I still want to put them at the end regardless of a merger or not. Any thoughts?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Well my timeline goes like this. I won't explain each aspect, just where I put OoX.

............WW/PH-ST
MC-OoT<
............/MM-TP-FS/FSA-ALTTP/LA-LoZ/AoL-OoX

I put it at the end after AoL. In AoL, Ganon's minions are trying to kill Link to bring Ganon back to life, they fail, but later on Twinrova try to revive him again in OoX and partially succeed (he's pretty mindless) and then Link defeats him right away. Also, we see Ganondorf die in TP and I believe it's a new Ganondorf in FSA. Most timelines have a couple spots where there are unexplained ressurrections of Ganon. My timeline only has one unexplained continuity of Ganon. I have never found a reasonable timeline that has Ganon's reappearances work. Anyway, that was more of a sidenote.

It helps iterate that Ganon is still dead and still trying to be revived.

Evil Space Fish

Hyrule's village Jester
I went thru your timeline and it's pretty damn good, I must admit. I can see the OoX happening after AoL just because of my ToX theory on it being completed and all. Thanks Z, you've been a huge help.

Evil Space Fish

Hyrule's village Jester
Wanted to update my timeline, figured this was thread for it since I was talking about a merger. I fixed that and have decided that the OoX makes the most sense on the AT side. The only reason I can see it there as opposed to the other is, well... my placement of the original 2 games and it's bosses Aquamentus, Manhandla, Gleeok, etc. and their reoccurence in OoS. It can work on the other side too but to me (and the lack of games on that side) that it's definatly plausible on that side. So I'm dropping the merge idea, you guys are right, it's too much work to make it right and it's complicated and I just don't have the brain capacity right now to keep going lol.

So my current TL is as follows: (in case I change it in my sig)

......./--WW/FPTRR/PH/--ST--LOZ/AOL/OOS/OOA
OoT............................................... .................
.......\MM--TP/LCT--MC--FS/FSA--ALttP/LA/........

Feedback? Thoughts? Hate mail? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom