• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Master Sword: Can it be moved about?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
When the Sword was put to sleep in ST we saw it in the Temple of Hylia was the sword moved from that spot or what? we see in various games that it's moved around a hell of a lot on the overworlds, from the center of the world to the outskirts and hell a little bit beyond, so whats making me wonder aside from geological problems, is it possible to move the Master Swords location while it is in the pedestal?

I'd say yes because we see it's changed a fair few times and that the Pedestal itself is what forms the lock on Ganon's/Vaati's Powers the Sword the key, but at the same time we see it situated in a pedestal deep in the forest frequently and also once in the heart of a town, is it being moved about or do people discover it and make it the center?

I'm prone to saying that people discovered the master sword and built the temple around it from the ruins of the old one and built the town around it, to both protect and defend it better from evil (fat lotta good it did a damn 10 year old got to it), so this'd imply that people aren't moving it but are in fact attracted to it's location and changed the land to suit them.

What do you people think?

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
well if by temple of hylia you mean the sealed temple then the oot temple of time was made from the remains of the temple of hylia and the same with twilight princess. Its possible that hyrule castle in wind waker was made around the master sword and in every other game its in its possible that its been in the same area for millions of years thus it was never moved. If its possible to move it i dont think so unless they move the pedestal but i dont know if thats possible.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Every game is different an dhappens in another time. So maybe it's more the geographics that are changing around the Master Sword. Because basically you can't move the sword without breaking the seal unless they moved the sword with the pedestral included but I don't think that happened.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Temple of time was always supposed to be in the forest. It was only in town for OOT to show the player the devastation of Ganondorfs reign.

In TP the temple of time is in the forest as it is in all the other games. I'd say its appearance in OOT's town is something to be ignored as it was only moved there for effect.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I think the Master sword can be moved, Ganondorf/ Ganon does break free occasionally, which probably happens when someone moves the Master sword. And then some kid named Link goes to seal him... again.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
No, the Master Sword doesn't move. The geography of the land changes and new structures are constructed over time. The Temple of Time was built where the remains of the Temple of Hylia stood, which makes me believe that the Market in Ocarina of Time was constructed where the Sealed Grounds are in Skyward Sword. In Twilight Princess, we can actually see what appears to be the ruins of the old market (that big circular area where we fight Skull Kid). In The Wind Waker, we find the Master Sword in Hyrule Castle, which is a bit more difficult to explain, but remember that Hyrule Castle was destroyed in Ocarina of Time and the Temple of time was probably damaged when Ganondorf captured Zelda, so they built the new Hyrule Castle around the Master Sword. The only one I can't explain is A Link to the Past, because the Master Sword is in the Lost Woods and doesn't appear anywhere near its location in another game. The only explanation I can think of is that Ganon destroyed the Temple of Time after her killed Link and now it's a forest ruin. At least its location is consistent in ALBW though.

The games take place thousands of years apart, so it could be easy to explain why the Master Sword appears to be in a different location every time. The land changes, people move about, new structures are built and geographical locations look different.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Yeah consistent geography just isn't a thing in Zelda. How can the Temple of Time be next to Castle Town, and later it's in the middle of Faron Woods? We can assume that the Sacard Grove in TP is actually the Lost Woods. Considering the Lost woods defies all logic, and contains portals to geographic areas nowere near it, it might make sense for the Temple of Time to be within it. It's also possible that the Temple of Time in TP is the same temple from OoT, Castle Town was just relocated?

Last edited:
To be fair, Lost Woods doesn't mean just any one location; there's multiple Lost Woods that appear in locations all throughout the series. In my humble opinion, Lost Woods are a term used for woods cured by magic/dark magic. For example, The Lost Woods is found in between Kakariko and Death Mountain, which would make since, since Spectacle Rock and Ganon's Tower in the Dark World, so he'd make areas around his base harder to access. Not to mention the Master Sword is there; he's trying to prevent The Reincarnated Hero from finding the Master Sword. Not to mention that there's a Lost Woods in Termina; hell, Skull Kid is good at curses, it's not unlikely that he just cursed a portion of Woodfall. Anyways, my main point is that trying to include the location of the Master Sword in any type of forest or woods as a location different from the ToT would not work out at all, considering it's highly likely that, if the Downfall Timeline never happened and Ganondorf was defeated, then the Master Sword's grove in aLttP would most likely be near exact to TP, it's just the fact Ganon's curse has an effect.

Djinn

and Tonic
I honestly do not see why it cannot be moved. Link can take it with him wherever he wants, the smiths can keep it and temper it if they wish, the goddess shrine moved from the sky to the ground, and the Master Sword in the CT rests at the bottom of the ocean in a whole new stone.

Maybe the sages of various eras are taking advantage of the fact that evil cannot touch it by constantly making it their key to various hidden or special things. Only they repurpose it each time there is a new need for a device that evil cannot draw. Or when the old purpose is no longer necessary.

It was in the temple of the goddess so that the next hero can take it and use it in SS. But that is no longer necessary after the game since Demise was taken care of. So the sages thought to use it as the key to the sacred realm. But after Ganondorf was sealed there it does not make sense to keep a door to the Dark World right there in town so repurpose it again. Use it to keep the shrine in the basement of the castle safe and secure, or stash it away in the Lost Woods so that someone else might not unknowingly release Ganon or so it can be in a special location so that people who need to know can find it in times of need.

Others can hold it and sometimes wield it, maybe, but it all comes down to the fact only the one with the reincarnated Spirit of the Hero who has proven their strength can pull the Master Sword from its pedestal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom