• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mario Kart 8 Discussion Thread

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The N64 Rainbow Road was a completely new course as far as I was concerned. Oh! And how could I forget? Using linear racing tracks as battle courses. ...Are you high, Nintendo? Did you have...nobody to test this game, to say "Uhhhh no...this isn't going to work, sorry."

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Disappointments so far:
-can't hold two items at once
-can't use gamepad as rearview, as far as I could figure out (I mean besides pressing X)
-I haven't found a good kart for snaking yet (low handling and traction, high acceleration, I think)

Course design - especially aesthetics - is remarkably good though. Still can't compete with N64's Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, but you can see where most of the development time and effort were spent.

More disappointments:
-They advertised editing videos quite heavily, but it turns out it's an incredibly weak system with just a few settings and no actual control of the camera, timespans, or anything else you'd actually care about.
-You can't play while uploading videos. Be ready to stare at a frozen screen (or go do something else) for 5+ minutes while you upload a 30-second video.
-Acceleration and Handling stats are intimately linked. MK7 did this too IIRC. There's not a single character or kart part that increases one and decreases the other. Maybe this was meant to reduce the impact of snaking (or other well-thought-out uses of stats)? Make sure there aren't any good karts? (Specifically, I wish I could get high acceleration with low handling.) What they have instead are a bunch of identical and redundant parts.

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
iWBcrxrRHgdN0.gif

luigi evil confirmed.

Been playing it this morning, and I think it's awesome! It isn't some insane step-up, it's still just Mario Kart, whether that's good or bad depends on the player, and I think it's less creative in map design/variety than Sonic Transformed was, but overall I'm definitely not disappointed and I'm enjoying it more than MK Wii or Double Dash. Tis a fun game! Although this wouldn't have sold me on a Wii U had I not already had one. I'd still be waiting on Zelda U.

I hope we get some DLC map packs for Battle Mode though. I want arenas! :P

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I'm not sure how I feel about random character unlocks. On the one hand, the method to do so is extremely effective, and you can get them all very quickly. However, it can be quite annoying to desire a particular character and have to wait to get lucky in unlocking them. I was fortunate enough to get Baby Rosalina right off the bat, but Rosalina was one of my last remaining (holy hot damn was it worth the wait though). I destroyed my first Spiny Shell in the Grand Prix that followed, and lord, it was satisfying.

I've been doing the cups as various characters to get their respective stamps as I go through the simple 50cc and 100cc modes. I look forward to trying out 150cc to see what it has in store.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I've seen this on YouTube and Twitch, and man oh man do those textures look detailed. It's a beautiful game, and if I had the budget, I'd buy a WiiU and this game right this instant.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
The 50cc and 100cc cups were all pretty easy, like I managed to get a ★★★ rating in all of them quickly, but the 150cc stuff has proven to be a true challenge to me. I assumed the rage would ensue at this point, but I'm not sure what I was expecting, Mirror Mode will likely be even worse lol gonna just go for getting at least a license this time around.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I still dream of a day where we can play last man standing with 6-8 people on Block Fort. Securing your area with bananas, making temporary alliances, and getting ready for the big kill...

Sounds so much more fun than just playing a scavenger hunt with 9 other people to find the two weakest players and mercilessly destroy them with your items for 3 minutes.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I've been doing the cups as various characters to get their respective stamps as I go through the simple 50cc and 100cc modes. I look forward to trying out 150cc to see what it has in store.
Protip: You don't even need to do 50cc and 100cc. Whatever you get on 150cc translates down to the others. (100 translates down to 50 too). Mirror Mode is separate though.

I got the gold kart (* on everything) but I don't see that * on my profile anywhere... is it not displayed anymore? In previous games it was right next to my name wherever it appeared online.

Last edited:

Beeker

Wild Card
iWBcrxrRHgdN0.gif

luigi evil confirmed.

Oh my god, all the dramatic slow mo stares of death I've seen posted online kill me whenever I see them. xD

Loving this game! Stayed up fairly late Friday night unlocking all the cups. This is really a game when pictures can't do it justice; the best way to see it is in motion. I didn't think I'd love some of the courses as much as I actually do. Mount Wario just wowed me the first time I played through. I think it's my favourite one run/three checkpoint course so far!
Only thing I'm iffy about. While I like for the most part what has been done with the retro tracks, I feel some went a little overboard adding the more recent gimmicks(mainly water and antigrav). I too wish there were more options in the MKTV/highlight reels, for now I just use the highlights to glance at how close some of my races are.

Also:
uaEuIAx.png

Am I the only one who giggled at the devs including these in the credits? Love the fact the put all the little ads/signs at the end, kind of like sponsors! Really gives the cool atmosphere of Mario Kart being like a TV event, which they seemed to push quite a bit this time. :P

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Check out my sweet revenge on Toadette
[video=youtube;J4pZmfSQJp4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4pZmfSQJp4[/video]

I just discoverd that VS mode is on Single player (thought it was only for multiplayer) and its awesome. you can Choose your tracks and race agenst the AI. Plus you can set rules like no shells ( bye bye blue shell) And Frantic Mode+ Hard AI + 150CC= one of the most chaotic Mario kart experiences i have ever played, and its a blast. Im glad Nintendo has included this. i can pick my favorite tracks with out haven't to race through other tracks to get to tit

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Got the game day of release, haven't played as much as I've wanted to yet. Been playing with my bro a lot. The tracks are amazing. Bowser's Castle is the single most visually stunning course I've ever seen. Like, I literally fangirled when I saw it XD
I've played through 6 of the cups in the 50cc so far have yet to not score a perfect 3 stars on a cup so I'm pretty jazzed, hoping to 3 star the game but it'll be plenty tough vs 150cc. I'm excited though, easily my favorite Mario Kart yet. Loads better then 7 which I've started liking more since getting 8 even though I like 8 better but meh we'll see what happens :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom