• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mario Kart 8 Discussion Thread

67ghost

no you're not
One of the top comments on the youtube page talks of a petition to add Fawful to the game, should he be though?

Definitely gonna buy this game either way.

I have chortles

anyways im excited and koopalings!!!

キラ

Yo!
The Koopalings are a neat addition but I hope they don't fill up most of the roster. I want there to be plenty more new characters.

Beeker

Wild Card
The Koopalings are an interesting addition to the roster. Couldn't say I was expecting it, but at least it's better than the newbies in 7(although Wiggler was pretty cool). The game itself is looking pretty great and really fun, and while we may have seen antigravity in other racing series, hopefully it'll give more creativity and options for the tracks. So far it looks like it's doing that! If it is just as solid as 7 was, then this may become my favourite Mario Kart entry. Hopefully May 30 comes sooner than later! 8D

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I'm really invested into reading what retro tracks we'll be getting this time around. So far, we've seen:

• Melody Motorway (Music Park), Piranha Plant Pipeway (Piranha Plant Slide) and DK Jungle from Mario Kart 7.
  • Grumble Volcano from Mario Kart Wii.
  • Tick Tock Clock from Mario Kart DS.
  • Dry Dry Desert from Mario Kart: Double Dash.
  • Mario Circuit from Mario Kart: Super Circuit.
That's 7 of the assumed final number of 16. 9 to go.

Getting into the stats of previous titles (and ignoring battle courses because nobody cares about those), here's a spread of the retro courses of each game. It's worth noting Mario Kart: Super Circuit had all 20 tracks of the Super Mario Kart in it.

• Mario Kart DS began the current tradition of the retro courses, including 16 of them within. There were four titles prior, and thus, each of the four previous games (SNES, N64, GBA and GCN) saw four returning tracks.

• Mario Kart Wii, with its five previous games, saw a spread of four tracks originating from each the N64, GCN and DS entries, and two from each the SNES and GBA titles, which can be said to be the less ...significant games.

• Mario Kart 7 is where things get less even. Two from SNES and GCN, one from GBA, three from N64, and four from each DS and Wii.

Each game has introduced 16 new courses, except for SNES and GBA, which have 20. This puts our tally at... 120 old tracks. 48 have been used already, with 8/20 on SNES having seen returns, 11/16 on N64, 7/20 on GBA, 10/16 on GCN, 8/16 on DS, and 4/16 on Wii, none of which include what has been seen in MK8 on Wii U.

I'm going to assume that MK7 will get a fourth returning course in MK8, just as MK7 and MK-Wii had four taken from their respective predecessors. That makes another 8 courses to be borrowed from any of the remaining six games. How that will be distributed I have no idea. There's sure to be at least one from SNES and N64 which we haven't seen yet. With one from SNES, N64, GBA, GCN, DS and Wii, there's another 6 to go around. Another one each for even pairings plus the four 3DS tracks? Or how about favouring MK-Wii with a third course at the result of there being only one for another game? There's a ton of possibilities, and this isn't even touching the thought of DLC...

Fig

The Altruist
Such an enticing commercial. I really look forward to pre-order my copy of the game. It's too bad that since this is clearly a European commercial, this special offer only applies to them. I really hope North America gets something exclusive as well. There have been so many times where I could never get the pre-order bonus simply due to it only being available outside of North America, thus I have to resort investing on incredible amounts of money, which is not really expensive but because of shipping, I have to spend roughly $15-$20 more than I should because when a bonus is offered to us Westerners, it is simply another $5. I'm really praying that we get something over here!

キラ

Yo!
I don't know if this has been said on ZD yet or not...

But I would love it if when you played with your friends, the Wii U Gamepad's camera would turn on and stream your face, like in Starfox 3DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom