• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Manual Jumping?

Manual Jumping?

• Thumbs up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thumbs down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So as far as I know, the only time in the Zelda series when Link could actually jump manually was with the item known as the Roc's Feather, which appeared in 3-4 games if I'm right. So with that it makes most of the games in the series without the ability to jump on command and we usually jump automatically when traversing across platforms etc. Now what I'm asking is should manual jumping be a part of Link's abilities or a part of the controls and game play?

There is usually little challenge when it comes to platform sections in Zelda games as is right, Zelda isn't a platform game however in my opinion it could do with some more challenging platform sections. This could certainly make the game more difficult in my opinion as there could be some neat game play sections that allow the player to jump manually over many obstacles. This could certainly be a concrete feature within specific dungeons and I think it would be a welcomed addition into modern Zelda.

There is also the idea of it freeing up Link's abilities and essentially what the player can and can't do. Sometimes we as the player feel limited, we are in many cases reduced to a light jog and with little manoeuvrability. So in a way this could increase Link's actual attributes and the players ability for increased ways of movement instead of being limited. In ways this could also open up for better item usage and the ability to have upgrades too increase jumping accuracy, height etc.

So what do you think about this idea, would it be a feature you would want over the current automatic system or not?

or the ground jump glitch in oot ;) Ha ha ok in all seriousness I thing that would only really work in the 2D zelda games which is where they already are... in the 3D zelda games we already have the auto jump to make it across gaps, and hover boots/deku leaves/ hookshots to make it across long gaps. the rocs feather in a 3D zelda game wouldn't add anything new, it would just replace what we already have... So i say no.

Edit: i'm fine with its return in a 2D zelda

Last edited:

octorok74

TETTAC
I loved Roc's feather. It was nice to jump around and if you needed to avoid danger you could just jump like crazy til you got to a new screen. I would like to see it return. I'd actually like to see Roc's cape come back, because gliding was fun. So my thumb is up for manual jumping.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
To be honest, I feel like adding jumping to the game without the Roc's Feather would change quite a few things in Zelda. But then again, jumping WOULD be better than having to hop off walls like a break dancer.

I wouldn't mind if they added it.

I'm unsure about manual jumps in Zelda, i love the auto jump and its the only game where it feels right to me, adding jumps would probably usher in a lot of annoying puzzles and tricky ari combat to take out some enemies that made you use the jump function (something akin to the ramps in Eldin in SS to force you to sprint).

What i wouldn't mind are attacks that looked or felt like jumps, for example in DMC3 Dante has an attack that launches an enemy into the air and Dante will follow enabling the player to get an air combo in which can also hit other enemies if they get too close, i'd like something like this rather than just a jump function which in my mind can just go wrong.

(a few games have had jump functions that didn't need them; Xenoblade Chronicles' jump function felt really off and you didnt really need it)

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I would highly dislike the jump being added to Link's basic abilities. If he were to obtain the skill via item, that would be fine. But, jumping would just seem unnatural. In the zelda games, Link's abilities seen very similar to that of a real person. Jumping may become unrealistically high and take away the idea that the player is Link.

Clank

Hmm
Think of the glitch possibilities, and I would finally stop dieing from falling off, due to the auto jump acting up...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well a person can jump right? ;)

A person's jumping ability is usually severely hampered due to things such as gravity. This is important to note - Zelda is a fantasy series and thus it is able to break the laws of (known) physics. In fact, the series already has in multiple ways. Why can't we manually jump? You see TONS of games allowing for such a feature, even games that aren't remotely based around platforming! D:

My opinion on the subject isn't strong one way or the other, but I wouldn't be against it as long as it doesn't become too much like a platformer, but I doubt it would turn out that way. It could add a new dimension to exploration and puzzle solving, and be a great tool if not overused. It isn't a necessary addition by any means, however.

I am for the manual jumping. Auto-jumping is an okay feature, but the directing it can become very annoying.

I personally would like a double jump feature or wall-jump one at the very least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom