• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Manual Jumping?

Manual Jumping?

• Thumbs up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thumbs down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I rather like the auto jump. It was extremely awkward for me to get used to at first, as I had played mostly Platformers prior to discovering Zelda, but I soon came to realize that it required skill & strategy of its own and left a free space for a button that would otherwise be used to jump (A), which, of course, became the "action button". It's even cooler that it finally became a dash/sprint button in Skyward Sword.

In all reality, though, I don't think either option is objectively superior. At this stage, though, I'd prefer to stick with the auto jump. The games are designed with it in mind and it works every bit as fine as a manual jump would, so I see no reason to change it.

I rather like the auto jump. It was extremely awkward for me to get used to at first, as I had played mostly Platformers prior to discovering Zelda, but I soon came to realize that it required skill & strategy of its own and left a free space for a button that would otherwise be used to jump (A), which, of course, became the "action button". It's even cooler that it finally became a dash/sprint button in Skyward Sword.

In all reality, though, I don't think either option is objectively superior. At this stage, though, I'd prefer to stick with the auto jump. The games are designed with it in mind and it works every bit as fine as a manual jump would, so I see no reason to change it.

How about a compromise where it can be turned on or off in the control options menu?

That would ruin the purpose and potentially break some of the level design. Plus, the sprint option would (most likely) be taken away, which would prevent Link from being able to cross certain areas.

Not a bad thought process, but a misguided one.

I am afraid I do not see how it would break the level design so long as the jump's range stayed the same. Sprinting towards the edge of a terrain and jumping manually is not the same as sprinting towards the edge of a terrain and jumping automatically?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I am afraid I do not see how it would break the level design so long as the jump's range stayed the same. Sprinting towards the edge of a terrain and jumping manually is not the same as sprinting towards the edge of a terrain and jumping automatically?

There could potentially be a ledge that wouldn't be reachable by auto jump, but would be accessible by manual jump, getting to a spot you're not supposed to be able to yet in the process. Potentially.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I doubt it would work with controls...but if Nintendo can do it, then by all means.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Link's jump has always been contextual. That is to say if you don't have you jump, then you can't. Why would you?

Link already looks ridiculous enough rolling around everywhere. Making him needlessly jump around like a tard would just be pointless.

Link can already jump where applicable, climb where applicable, crawl where applicable. Remember WW let you crawl around anywhere? What good did that do? Really, who ever did that? The game seemed to imply you could use it to sneak around, but did that even work if anyone even bothered to do it in the first place when you can just run up and start smacking monsters around and get the job done faster?

I find Zelda's context sensitive jump to be very elegant. Works just fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it and I can't see having manual jump adding anything worthwhile to the experience.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I would love to see jumping working in a game it would add platforning witch would be a good thing. I'm don't wabt to se the classic hoppin up abd grabing ledges to go, keep in and an unlimited stamina bar.

I would love to see jumping working in a game it would add platforning witch would be a good thing. I'm don't wabt to se the classic hoppin up abd grabing ledges to go, keep in and an unlimited stamina bar. Aned a jump for crossin gaps to add platforming elements. I don't see why it wouldn't fit

This thread conjures a memory of one stage in the Subspace Emissary from Super Smash Bros. Brawl with no enemies and only mindless platforming.

With that in mind, I say no to manual jumping. Climbing vines or using the clawshot to traverse long gaps is more rewarding and thought provoking than using a jump button to do the same.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
With that in mind, I say no to manual jumping. Climbing vines or using the clawshot to traverse long gaps is more rewarding and thought provoking than using a jump button to do the same.

Hurray for autojumping and finding one-click switches! I am sorry, my good man, but I do not feel that climbing vines OR using the clawshot even remotely touch manually jumping across a variety of gaps/platforms to reach the goal. Assume this: you are in a linear obstacle course (think one of the F.L.U.D.D-less levels in Super Mario Sunshine). Is it truly more rewarding and thought provoking to just sling across places using your one-trick pony that is a clawshot? Or is manually timing each one of your jumps to reach the goal the better deal? :I

Still, opinions are what they are and you can have yours. :)

Hurray for autojumping and finding one-click switches! I am sorry, my good man, but I do not feel that climbing vines OR using the clawshot even remotely touch manually jumping across a variety of gaps/platforms to reach the goal. Assume this: you are in a linear obstacle course (think one of the F.L.U.D.D-less levels in Super Mario Sunshine). Is it truly more rewarding and thought provoking to just sling across places using your one-trick pony that is a clawshot? Or is manually timing each one of your jumps to reach the goal the better deal? :I

how is pressing the a button more rewarding and thought provoking than holding the a button to run off the ledge and make link jump exactly?... And to your clawshot point, once link gets the clawshot it doesn't cut platforming out of the game, if the developers want to to do some tricky jumps/hovers, they just won't put any clawshot targets nearby. I can think of dozens of cases of that.

All of the people that are pro manual jump seem to say that it would add more platforming depth, and honestly that doesn't make more sense, how would pressing to jump be better than running to an edge to jump...

Manual jumping would just be a chore, auto jump works great and I think that any non-platformer with platforming sections should have it.

There could potentially be a ledge that wouldn't be reachable by auto jump, but would be accessible by manual jump, getting to a spot you're not supposed to be able to yet in the process. Potentially.

I kind of addressed that by saying that so long as the range of both jumps was good, then you implement an optional feature.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
All of the people that are pro manual jump seem to say that it would add more platforming depth, and honestly that doesn't make more sense, how would pressing to jump be better than running to an edge to jump...

Consider 2D Mario games for a second. Would you rather auto-jump to the next platform, or would you manually-jump instead? The former can be quite irksome thanks to level design, but manual jumps give you a certain freedom simply not capable in regular play. :) Same could apply for Zelda in that respect, and manual jumps could be required for wall-scaling (or climbing) or simply traversing pits. This would keep dungeons more tense and possibly open up new caves of exploration!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom