• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Majora's Mask Storyline

I might be the only one on ZD to agree with you. The whole thing seems kind of redundant. To add to your breakdown of the plot here is the main plot:

You chase a guy who stole the ocarina of Time, part of the theft included two TINY TINY fairies, that can knock you off your horse. :S
You get turned into a deku scub. You find the skull kid and he makes the moon fall onto the earth
You find four giants
You go onto th moon itself and kill A MASK.

As opposed to boy meets princess.
Princess is kidnapped.
Boy saves princess.
Because that's original.

^written in the exaggerated superficial way that you wrote the plot of MM.
The fairies didn't knock you off the horse. They scared the horse which made Link fall off.
The Mask itself is not just a "mask". It's a mask which contains a demon spirit, which you see embodied in the final battle.
And even then, it's probably more evil than Ganondorf. Ganondorf lets the people of Hyrule live in Kakariko, he may spread evil around, but people can survive and keep on living. Yet Majora is the one that ruins people's lives in Termina individually, such as coming between the love of two people, killing a sister, killing a son, etc., and finally killing everyone by making the moon fall.
And Majora can almost be seen as an evil god in the backstory, as it was praised by the people of Termina long ago, hence the carvings of him in temples and such.

You try and make the game sound bad by giving a superficial and quick plot line of the game, but that doesn't really do any justice to it, it doesn't prove in any way that it has a weak plot, no argument whatsoever. Great way to make a point and make it stand strong!

Personally I really like the story in Majora's Mask. It was different then the storylines of other games in the series. It was more then just a simple "good vs evil" story.
Link goes off on his quest to try, and find Navi, on his quest he finds something more. He finds this land that is doomed if he does nothing. And the villain in this game is more twisted(insane)then Ganondolf could ever hope to be. Majora wants to destroy the world, and he has no reason to do it, other then the fact that it brings terror into the hearts, and minds of the people living in Termina.
Plus you only have three days to save the world, and help people in the games sidequests. You can't help everyone in one three day cycle. There's a level of darkness in this game that you don't normally see in a Nintendo game, and that's why I love this game.

M

Mrlinkfreak

I love that you have to fight the mask. I thought it was really dark and incredibly creative. Not mention crazy as hell. That mask has some issues haha.

Majora's Mask is one of my favorites, I have to say.
Same here. I actually own the game and a 64

David

But you called me here...
I love the story behind MM. It provides a new twist on Zelda in that it focuses much more on the individual people and not just Hyrule itself. A lot of the characters have their own problems, and depending on what Link does, those problems can be solved or almost worse off. And just because the Mask is the final enemy doesn't mean that it ruins it or makes it seem stupid. It just shows that the mask has gained outrageous power and is almost its own type of being. The Mask is awesome.

Kybyrian

The storyline of the game was great, you just aren't thinking of it right. Think of it as the demon possessing the mask, not the mask itself. It makes sense that the mask controlled the Skull Kid throughout the entire game, because it couldn't do much itself. The mask had a demon sealed within it, which is what caused the mask to turn the Skull Kid evil. Through the game you were awakening the four giants, the ones that could stop the moon from crashing into Termina and destroying it. It's got a dark theme to the game, which adds to how great the game is, depending on if you can appreciate something like that or not.

At the end of the game, the mask has no longer any use for Skull Kid and drops it to go to the moon. On the moon, you finally get to fight the actual demon inside of the mask. The demon, called Majora, uses it's power to fight you, taking on different forms. The mask is simply the host for the demon, it needed something to reside in.

It may be a kind of short storyline, but if you break down any game's storyline like that they all seem pretty short. Majora's Mask wasn't so much based on the storyline, either. There were a lot of sidequests in the game and you were encouraged to explore the rest of Termina instead of just playing straight through the game. If you do play straight through it then it will seem a little dull because there wasn't much too it. Lacking in the number of dungeons and all, you know?

Majora's Mask really wasn't created for the storyline, and the storyline isn't what makes it great. You don't always need a super strong storyline if you can make the game good in a number of other ways, but the fact is that most players don't care to explore the other things and go through what makes the game even greater.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
That's what I like so much about Majora's Mask .. while the sidequests are optional as they are in OoT, they're beneficial to expanding the story as well as the gameplay, whereas OoT's sidequests only really benefit gameplay expansion.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I agree with you that the story is kind of bland. There is no real explanation to the history of Termina, or Majora. All they say is that there is evil inside the mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom