• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Majora's Mask Remake - Ideas

What would you like to see in a remade version of Majora's Mask?

The fake Majora's Mask Wii U trailer (which you can view here), has made me think a lot about things I'd like to see in a possible MM remake (either for 3DS or Wii U). Some people don't like remakes, because essentially it's the same game, but I believe a Majora's Mask remake has a LOT of potential. I believe that, besides HD graphics and redesigned art-style, there could be a lot of enhanced and additional content. Here are some of my ideas:

1. More masks. This is a bit of a no-brainer, but new masks means new side-quests, and more incentive to play.

2. Enhanced abilities of current masks. (Think about the extra abilities Oni-Link could have, or the Goron and Zora masks).

3. A back-story to Oni-Link. (We really don't know enough about him).

4. A dungeon in the Moon. Face it, the inside of the Moon was disappointing, because there really wasn't much to do. If the Moon itself was a dungeon, with Majora's Mask as the final boss, it would have been better.

5. Orchestrated soundtrack. Goes without saying.

Any more ideas?

Edit: Also, I really think MM would be better suited to Wii U. It's simply too epic to be a handheld. I don't want to see it on 3DS

The fan made trailer of Majora's Mask did look absolutely stunning and I do wish it was real. However, any MM remake will be on the 3DS i really can't see Nintendo putting it on the WiiU as wonderful as that would be. If they put MM on the WiiU then people will start wondering why OoT (to many the superior game and the ff7 of Zelda) was never put on the WiiU when it would make so much money, MM is also such a smaller game too I can't see Nintendo wasting their time remaking such a small game for the WiiU unless they were going to give it one hell of an overhaul, which is unlikely, because unlike most developers, Nintendo actually want to go ahead with new ideas. If Nintendo loved remaking old games then MM would have followed OoT on the 3DS about 6 months down the line.

I really wouldn't want them to change anyhting either, I was worried enough about OoT being completely revamped, i thought that magic would have been lost but it was still there, just in a dusted down package which i almost now prefer to the original. If they started adding and subtracting from and changing MM then it'd most likely usurp people's reasons to buy it, it won't be the game that they want which essentially is what a remake is. Adding boss rush etc is fine though since that doesn't alter the game any in terms of story progress etc.

As for MM being on the 3DS eventually, i think when Nintendo remade OoT they KNEW people would clamour for MM, I'd like to see MM on the 3DS because even though i hate 3D it'd be lovely to see that moon over Clock Town in 3D, imagine the sense of dread MM will seep through 3D, it'll be the only game i play with the 3D turned up. The transformation masks will also probably look gorgeous in the transition cutscenes again in 3D. But like everyone else i want a new Zelda game first and i just hope it doesn't play like a 2D game, i don't want a 2D zelda on the 3DS following OoT.

After seeing the fan-made Majora's Mask trailer, I'm torn over whether a remake should be for the 3DS or Wii U. I personally believe that both exhibit great potential. The 3DS obviously will add an extra layer of depth to an already deep story (geddit?) and gyroscope controls as well as updated and completely revamped textures will bring the game to life like never before. The touchscreen would once more serve to clean up the HUD. Also, there is the portability incentive as well. On the Wii U, the controller would also serve to keep the HUD clean but it could also be used to gain a panoramic view of the situation. Just imagine a bird's eye view of Clock Town through the screen of the controller. Of course the cherry on top is seeing one of the greatest Zelda adventures of all time in HD.

As far as the additions in the opening post go, the ending credits of Ocarina of Time 3D, left me wanting the next remake to feature fully orchestrated music especially after Skyward Sword's which greatly helped establish the atmosphere. The problem with fleshing out the backstory or adding additional dungeons is the Majora's Mask will cease being Majora's Mask and transform into a new game entirely. The ideas you list are great but I would rather save them for a brand-new romp through Hyrule or another world possibly on the 3DS or Wii U.

Remakes aside, I'd like for Nintendo to concentrate on all new products. With the recent release of Skyward Sword, it's clear that the Wii U will only have one Zelda game unless it boasts an impressively long lifespan. Zelda Wii U will be released too far down the road to allow for multiples on Nintend's first HD outing. That leads me to think that at least two titles will be cranked out for 3DS and if recent Nintendo products are any indication, we may just see first a full fledged 3D Zelda for the system followed y another 2D Zelda game just as Nintendo did with Super Mario 3D Land and now New Super Mario Bros. 2.

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
Majora's Mask remake should be on the 3DS, but the biggest reason for a Majora's Mask remake was that you can't have Ocarina of Time without Majora's Mask. The problem is that if the Ocarina remake was on the 3DS and the Majora's Mask remake was on the Wii U then they wouldn't necessarily go together.
The reason I bought Ocarina of Time 3D was because the graphics looked amazing and the Master Quest, mostly the new Master Quest. Majora's Mask 3D should have something to make me want to buy it and 100% it like Ocarina of Time 3D did. I would say add a Master Quest with the overworld flipped, or maybe an addition side-quest (it could be an addition side-quest DLC if you want). Anything that would make it a remake and not a rerelease will make me want to buy it. =)

MonkeyFightSquad

*LAUGHS EVILLY*
The fan made trailer of Majora's Mask did look absolutely stunning and I do wish it was real.
I also wish it were real. It looked amazing, and was it really proved fake? I want more masks, like the Mario mask. That would be so awesome. And a turtle mask would be cool. Slow on land, fast in water.

You know what, Just make a new Majoras Mask 2. That would be fun.

Wisdom Triforce

Call of duty FTL (spits)
For the record the only thing Nintendo would change would be the graphics most likely. Nintendo has a record for not changing anything in a remake and honestly I respeft that to alter a syltory is to alter part of the timeliness take ocarina of time 3D for example they didn't put in th beta temples did they.

Thanks for your replies.

I agree that a remake shouldn't stray too far from the original - not much needs to change. In fact, nothing WOULD change, but there would be ADDITIONAL stuff, so that it's not simply a graphically enhanced clone of the same game.

Basically, the things that should change are simply a means of perfecting it. For example:

A fully orchestrated sound track would be awesome. The music should stay the same, the only change would be in the quality of it. I don't think anyone would object to that.

Regarding an extra dungeon, I think that can be done without having to change anything else, because the foundation is already there - the Moon itself. Rather than the inside of the Moon just being a field with a single tree in the middle (which I found to be disappointing and kind of pointless), the Moon itself could be the final dungeon. You already have those little challenges you do when you play with the Moon children. I propose Nintendo gets rid of those, and simply make the Moon a dungeon, with Majora's Mask as the final boss. I would also like to see a little bit more challenge from the final boss when using the Fierce Deity mask, because it just makes it far too easy and it feels unrewarding.

What do you think? Since the Moon is already there, you wouldn't really be "adding" anything, but making the Moon an actual dungeon would be an awesome feature in my opinion.

Regarding songs in the game, bosses, enemies, characters, and areas - they should all stay the same. I suggested the addition of new masks, but I've changed my mind on that, there's more than enough already. But I do feel that, since the game would have Wii U controls, some additional abilities could be added to the Goron, Deku and Zora masks. I also feel the Fierce Deity mask should have one or two extra abilities; maybe just an electric style spin attack, or an enhancement of its beam attack. Nothing over the top, just a way to perfect it.

Regarding Fierce Deity mask, I feel it should have a back-story, because we know nothing about it. It doesn't have to be anything major, perhaps it could just feature in a legend about being a rival to Majora - this doesn't have to be featured in the game itself, but perhaps in the game's options or something? What do you think?

Majora's Mask is the most unique Zelda, and we all love it. So I understand why people wouldn't want any change, and out of respect for the game I agree that any change should be minimal and only serve to enhance the experience - it shouldn't be over the top or make it feel like a different game, otherwise it simply wouldn't be Majora's Mask.

On a side note, I'm glad I joined this forum. Without kissing ***, you guys actually seem to know what you're talking about, which makes a change from Zelda Universe, which is why I left. (I'm getting off topic but i had to say that).

I disagree. That would kill the originality of Majora's Mask. That's what made the game so fun was that no other Zelda game was like it. Unless they could make it were it didn't just feel like a rip off of the first.

^ This.

I never, EVER want to see a sequel to Majora's Mask. It's uniqueness makes it special, and its originality is its appeal. A graphically enhanced remake is fine, but not a sequel. No way.

Hmm... I don't think Majora's Mask needs those 5 things in a remake. I'm basing this off of Ocarina of Time 3D (let's face it, a Majora's Mask remake will most likely be on the 3DS) and I think Majora's Mask 3D should take some of the features from Ocarina of time 3D like the gyro controls and of course the stunning 3D. I don't see why they couldn't make a Master Quest of Majora's Mask, You know like change the layout of puzzles in the Temples or the four areas for that matter, have enemies do double damage and of course mirror the game just like in Ocarina of Time 3D, I think that would be a good addition to Majora's Mask 3D.

I don't think it needs a Boss Battle mode though since you can re-battle the bosses in game, but I reckon you could add a timer to each boss once you've beaten them at least once. As for the UI, you could keep it the same like in Ocarina of time 3D, but mabye add a Mask button so you don't waste a item slot.

It doesn't need more masks, it doesn't need a backstory of the Fierce Deity mask and it doesn't need a orchestrated soundtrack. I think with features I mentioned above, Majora's Mask 3D will be excellent.

Last edited:
Instead just a remake, I would rather them make a Master Quest version with the enhanced visuals. Maybe change the order of the regions you go into, mirror the world, and change the dungeons. Imagine starting at Great Bay, going to Woodfall, then Ikana Canyon, and finishing at Snowpeak? The game would obviously need some adjustments.

Instead just a remake, I would rather them make a Master Quest version with the enhanced visuals. Maybe change the order of the regions you go into, mirror the world, and change the dungeons. Imagine starting at Great Bay, going to Woodfall, then Ikana Canyon, and finishing at Snowpeak? The game would obviously need some adjustments.

Why change the order? That would make no sense. It would be all over the place..

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
What would you like to see in a remade version of Majora's Mask?

The fake Majora's Mask Wii U trailer (which you can view here), has made me think a lot about things I'd like to see in a possible MM remake (either for 3DS or Wii U). Some people don't like remakes, because essentially it's the same game, but I believe a Majora's Mask remake has a LOT of potential. I believe that, besides HD graphics and redesigned art-style, there could be a lot of enhanced and additional content. Here are some of my ideas:

1. More masks. This is a bit of a no-brainer, but new masks means new side-quests, and more incentive to play.

2. Enhanced abilities of current masks. (Think about the extra abilities Oni-Link could have, or the Goron and Zora masks).

3. A back-story to Oni-Link. (We really don't know enough about him).

4. A dungeon in the Moon. Face it, the inside of the Moon was disappointing, because there really wasn't much to do. If the Moon itself was a dungeon, with Majora's Mask as the final boss, it would have been better.

5. Orchestrated soundtrack. Goes without saying.

Any more ideas?

Edit: Also, I really think MM would be better suited to Wii U. It's simply too epic to be a handheld. I don't want to see it on 3DS

that sounds like a different game. the inside of the moon is perfect the way it is. same goes for the music and masks. if it is a remake, i hope they don't change anything but the graphics. i doubt they will release it anyway.

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I would love to see a new Majoras Mask remake for Wii U! That art style would fit the game so well. I think they should enlarge the world a little. Make clock town busier with more side quests and more shops and games. New citizens and characters should be added. They could also enlarge Ikana Canyon with a desert or new area which would be nice. More gorons, zoras, humans, characters in general in their respective places. Also there should be more mixing of races in different places. Overall the games story can sort of be the same but it can be added onto with new quests and characters. Masks with more abilities would also unlock gameplay options and make it more intuitive. A reorchestrated soundtrack is always better too.

The last major thing I'd like to see in the remake though and would be a must have is to make the game scarier/creepier/eviler/etc. It should make little children cry! JK... but... It must be creepy even for adults. It needs to be slightly more disturbing than it already is. This horror element would add a ton to the game where the original lacked. It was creepy but it could be creepier.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
1)If it's going to be a full blown remake perhaps they should implement voice acting to see if everybody likes it. When everyone realises that voice acting in Zelda is good they will be much more excited for it in future original titles.

2)Definitely a re orchestrated soundtrack

3)Extra dungeon

4)Easter eggs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom