• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Majora's Mask Ending?

H

HYRUL3

This is my first post here, sorry if this has already been covered.

Wasn't Link wandering through the woods at the beginning of Majora's Mask to find Navi? By the end of the game, he still hasn't found her... what's up with that?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
That's correct. He has not found her. We see that he was sucked into a bigger problem that finding Navi - he has to save Termina. We don't really know what he is doing after he leaves Termina in the end. Maybe he actually does go back to looking for her, but from what we see, we do not know what will become of the Link's relationship with Navi.

H

HYRUL3

I understand. It's just sad not to have closure, because I want to know if he ever finds Navi.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
It's sad not to have closure indeed. I have thought and still think the continuation of the hero of time's adventures should continue. Whether he finds Navi or not is not the parculiar problem, but he is a very important Link and we don't know what happens to him. When a game imbetween MM and TP (which are together in the timeline) is made, I will be screaming "YEEEEEEEEEES!"

I think of the ending like this:
Eventually he will find Navi. Even though he is still looking, he isn't giving up hope.

When you think, you think that he'll never find Navi. When I play Majora's Mask, I think of a alternative ending. Which is, he find's Navi, and they return back to Hyrule.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
That's true; it doesn't say anywhere that Link ever actually finds Navi. Originally, I think it was intended to be just a plot device, but Link does "find" Navi in the form of Tatl, who inherits Navi's role, both in gameplay and as a character with similar emotional attachment. I believe the reason Navi doesn't appear on the Child Timeline (at least, to the best of my knowledge, she doesn't appear) is because Navi was originally sent to help Link fulfill the prophecy that said the Hero of Time would save Hyrule; having already saved Hyrule on the AT, Navi is likely not sent for Link because he is no longer "meant" to repeat history (that is to say, to repeat the future).

H

HYRUL3

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I don't really like the idea of Tatl "inheriting" her role, as by the end, Tatl is still a selfish jerk and tells Link to get lost.

Not cool.

As has been said, it's just a plot device and a story never told. He went on adventuring so he could find Navi.

I believe the reason Navi doesn't appear on the Child Timeline (at least, to the best of my knowledge, she doesn't appear) is because Navi was originally sent to help Link fulfill the prophecy that said the Hero of Time would save Hyrule; having already saved Hyrule on the AT, Navi is likely not sent for Link because he is no longer "meant" to repeat history (that is to say, to repeat the future).
The idea of Tatl inheriting the role is interesting. As for the timeline thing... Navi joined Link on the Child Timeline. When he went back in time (with Navi), that's what created the split and in the Child Timeline, Navi still would have joined him and she still left him. Unless you're suggesting that when he went back in time he did returned BEFORE he met Zelda rather than after he opened the Temple of Time? If so, I suppose your theory could make sense, but if not, it really doesn't... :?

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I don't really like the idea of Tatl "inheriting" her role, as by the end, Tatl is still a selfish jerk and tells Link to get lost.

Not cool.
Well, it was clearly an emotional moment for her too. She became fond of Link and they did truly become friends. If you pay attention to the dialogue during the moment you mentioned, it's clear that she cared for Link and was only being mean because that's how she normally acts and she wasn't comfortable enough with her emotions to say what she really felt. I doubt Link was fooled by it though; I think they both knew how much they meant to each other.

This was one of the major questions asked at the end of Ocarina of Time, and even more so after Majora's Mask came out. Where did Navi go? As hard as it is to say, I don't think Link found her. He's Hylian, a fact that made holding on to a fairy almost impossible, bonding aside. He's bound by different rules when it comes to interacting with a fairy, more out of convenience and assistance then a friendship. At least that's what it was in the beginning. We attach ourselves to something that cares for us, it's a basic human action, and I imagine it's the same thing with the Hylian race, in particular regarding Link. Young and innocent, thrown in to a dark, and scary world. He fought to keep the company he made, in this case with Navi. It's hard to come to grips with knowing he might have never found her again. The relationship was amazing, the adventure was something to behold, and the defeat of evil should have solidified that connection, but I suppose it wasn't going to happen that way.

Navi was gone.

Link then transitions in to the Termina Universe, something I didn't expect. The split in the time line was an amazing concept back when it was first revealed, but it ends and continues at roughly the same point in time. Now, we know he's looking for Navi in the Child timeline. That's a given, and in doing so, finds Tatl. A sort of replacement fairy for the time being, the connection again was re lit. Link had absolutely no problem allowing Tatl in to his inner circle, even though we all knew she was using him at the start. As with Navi, the relationship turned in to something more. Again venturing in to a dark and dangerous world, Link had the companion he was searching for, albeit, not the one he expected.

With the defeat of Majora's Mask, he was once again thrown in to a hard separation with another fairy. A heart torn goodbye, he sets off to once again venture for Navi's companionship, but it only gets worse. This is my opinion, and the theory was thrown around a few years ago (around the release of TP) that Link never found her, and in the end, perished in what was then the Lost woods. Remember back in OoT, those who venture in to the Lost woods without a fairy would eventually turn in to a Stalfos? Regarding the Child timeline, I think that was Link's fate, to drift off in to history, a Hero, but forgotten through the ages. Never to be heard of again.

Interesting stuff though, and one of the greatest mysteries in the series.

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
You gotta feel sorry for Link. Such a brave guy, loyal, good looking, and he still can't have a lasting relationship!

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
The idea of Tatl inheriting the role is interesting. As for the timeline thing... Navi joined Link on the Child Timeline. When he went back in time (with Navi), that's what created the split and in the Child Timeline, Navi still would have joined him and she still left him. Unless you're suggesting that when he went back in time he did returned BEFORE he met Zelda rather than after he opened the Temple of Time? If so, I suppose your theory could make sense, but if not, it really doesn't... :?

My reasoning was perhaps a little unclear; take a look at this quotation:

Great Deku Tree said:
It seems the time has come for
the boy without a fairy to begin
his journey...
The youth whose destiny it is to
lead Hyrule to the path of
justice and truth...
Navi...go now! Find our young
friend and guide him to me...
I do not have much time left.
Fly, Navi, fly! The fate of the
forest, nay, the world, depends
upon thee!
My theory surrounding why Navi isn't there on the child timeline is because the Hero of Time is no longer intended to save Hyrule by retrieving the Master Sword and becoming the Hero of Time (for the second time); he is meant to close the door of time. Notice that when Link returns from the Adult Timeline, Navi is no longer with him, despite the fact that she was originally with him when he went to meet Zelda for the first time in the courtyard. Navi's destiny was to aid the Hero of Time (as is implied by the above quotation), but her destiny has been fulfilled. Destiny seems to be something that eludes a particular timeline, leading us to assume that Hyrule's supernatural forces do not belong to space and time. As such, destiny likely functions the same way (as we see in the Triforce breaking on the CT because of a "divine prank" and it being redistributed to those "chosen by destiny." Therefore, Navi's presence was necessitated by destiny; since Link no longer needed to fulfill that destiny, Navi was no longer present. That is why I believe that Navi is no longer present on the CT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom