• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

losing social skills in this age of technology

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
hello,

I suppose this is more of a monologue than anything, but I just cannot help it. I have lost a great deal of social skills thanks to my obsession with technology (or, some say dedication, but the meaning is the same.) Rather than pick up a phone or meet in person, I text my friends everything practically every day.

I don't ask my professors for help, nor do I go to qualified individuals for repairs. Why should I, when I have access to Google and a wealth of tutorials (which, by the way, aren't even ran by TUTORS)?

So, have you guys experienced a similar loss? or how do you deal with tech?

Dan

I know what you mean I lost my social skills to a vending machine just last summer it was terrible.
Personally I feel I'll never gain them back especially when I acquire a VR headset and start talking to virtual reality rabbits and such...

I find the opposite to be true for me, where the internet has actually helped my social skills because it let me talk to people more easily by giving me time to think about what I want to say before saying it.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
People without social skills wouldn't have social skills either way. The internet is great for those people, because it allows them to talk to other people and not feel alone all the time.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I haven't lost any social skills from using technology, though I think quite a few from my generation and the upcoming generations have. People spend so much time on their phones and computers that they don't learn how to interact properly with other people and can't even meet your eye and hold a proper conversation.

Djinn

and Tonic
I don't believe internet usage is the real issue. Too damn much internet usage might be.

I've seen more than enough occasions when someone just needed to get up and move away from the keyboard. That drive to "win" an argument at all costs is just not really worth it and you never actually get a prize at the end.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I think our tendency to use media as a form of communication is going to be a habit regardless of technology. On top of this, I've recently rediscovered my social initiative after a 2 year period of basement dwelling, so I feel it's a relatively easy habit to break with the right mindset/support group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom