• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Mother: Where is She?

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I would assume that she is dead. Giving birth has become much safer in the 100 years, but before that it wasn't uncommon at all for the mother to die during childbirth. The games seem to take place 300-800 years ago, so it would make sense. She could have died for many other reasons, illness, war and famine all fit the bill.

In games like Skyward Sword, Spirit Tracks, AoL, The Legend of Zelda and the Minish Cap, you could just be away from home and your mother isn't mentioned. In the Minish Cap you could just be working for your Grandfather (the Smith) as an apprentice and in Skyward Sword you are just away at school. It could be that adding a mother to the story would be difficult and would change the dynamics of the story.

It is one of those things that Nintendo probably won't tell us and that's fine, it leaves room for you to place yourself in Link's place, that was the game was intended to be played. You are Link, you can give yourself a mom if you want to but its fin if you don't. By making you create the parents in the story it makes you feel more connected to the character.

i believe its because links mother left him to the kakiri in OOT and then i have no clue why in any of the other games so yeah...

I feel like they just like to make him not really have anybody to go back for, so there's nothing to lose. And when they do give him somebody, then his mission is based on making their world better for whomever he happens to have in that game...

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
In A Link to the Past - he has an uncle who (in the mangas is killed in the castle), but in the game, I believe he lives, he just gets wounded and you can find him under a bridge later in the game where he gives you a bottle and falls into a deep sickness-sleep. When you beat the game, your Triforce wishes bring him back along with healing the land.

I believe his uncle is killed in the castle, but he wishes on the triforce to bring him back to life. The man under the bridge is not Link's uncle.
bottle3.gif

And Link does not have a father or mother in any of the games, but the Hero of Time's mother is talked about in OoT

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Link is suppose to be an Orphan in all the games so it would make sense that very little is ever known about his mother. That being said it is often speculated that Ocarina of Time Link's mother is the Queen of Hyrule and therefore Zelda and he are siblings in that game. But there is no actual confirmation of this theory.

Link's mom is only mentioned in OOT. In wind waker you think Link's grandma would say something at some point about his parents being proud of him or something
I think Link's Uncle dies in ALTTP. If he just passes out why would Link just leave him there and not help him? Also, if he did just pass out then why don't you see him in other parts of the game?
Lets say he did pass out. He is in the castle with evil guards. THey would find him and kill him. I think that he dies as well as the king dies and when Link makes a wish that everything goes back to how to was before Ganon had the triforce it not only brings back the king and his uncle but also brings back ganon (which is why he is is the original LoZ)

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I like Link not having a mother during the time of his journey and I don't think they should make it that way anytime soon. i do think it would be interesting to see him have flashbacks or maybe have the intro be his mother on her own quest to keep him safe knowing he was important. Idk but I think it could be used to help the story but not with her living. That would ruin the current tradition of orphan status.

Hmmm... a game where they reveal Link's parents for once. I don't think so because after all the years that have gone by, I think most of his family members are long gone. His grandmother and grandfather will always be remembered. I only wish we knew what ever happened to Aryll after the end of the Wind Waker :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom