• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Girlfriend?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
This post is Valentine's Day themed <3

Link's personality is...absent.... in most Zelda games because he was supposed to be a link between the game and the player. But something as trivial as this shouldn't hold Nintendo back from trying something like this.

In a few of the Zelda games I've played, there were some instances where Link and a female character seemed to have a...connection.... of sorts. It made me think, "Go for it Link... You may not have a lot chances." But he never develops a bond with another character that turns into a little more than a bond of friendship. I think Nintendo hasn't done this because of the "link" between the player and the game. If the player is projecting themself unto Link, they might say,"What the hell? Why'd you go for HER of all people, Link???", because they dislike the female character or something.

I still think they should do it regardless.

I just think it'd be another way to give Link the personality he NEEDS. If Link falls in love, and the fair maiden he's set his sights on get kidnapped or something, the mood would really add a sense of desperation to the game, and make me feel like, "I really have to save this girl..." Link's personality expressing those kinds of feelings would be great for the Zelda franchise, as it would be new to the series. And, it would really improve the gameplay and really make you more involved in Link's universe.

What do you guys think? Do you think Nintendo should try this? Do you think they WOULD try this? Do you think Link should stay single forever(You jerk =P)? Let me know.

P.S. Link DESERVES a personallity. He's fought so hard and risked his life on so many adventures, and you won't even give him a mind of his own? Come on now, man. Really?

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I don't think Link should have girlfriend because Nintendo would have to create a mini-series of games and think about it maybe Link hasn't been single the whole time.

Saria in OoT, Tetra in WW, Illia in TP, and Zelda herself in the MC series.

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
Yes, it would be awesome if Link had more personality. But having him fall in love would start to make things really complicated. That would get a whole bunch of stuff started that would distract from the whole idea of the games.
(But seeing him and Zelda hold hands at the end of Spirit Tracks was enough for me. :D)

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
I thought TP did this really well, I also thought that only TP did this at all. In all the other games it's like "oh look, a girl... who cares." In TP it seemed like the whole game was actually desperate to save Ilia. And yes, I definitely think that Ilia either is Link's girlfriend, or at least they're almost there.

Theres other Slient Protagnist who fall in love like the Persona Series just to let you know. Also they should totally show Link and Princess Zelda fall in love even the creator agrees with it.

pfft maybe it was just me, but Link had a whole harem in Twilight Princess. Ilia seemed like she was just hanging on his left nut in the beginning of the game up until she lost her memory, which was an instant turn off to her character for me.

To me it seemed like he was a bit polygamous, what a stud.

Djinn

and Tonic
I do not see why adding a love interest would change too much of the game. Unless it is a direct sequel such as Majoras Mask or Phantom Hourglass, every Link is a different individual so why not give at least one of them a clear love interest. Other than the possibility of Princess Zelda, which I do not believe goes well for Link most of the time. Anything to add some more depth to Link's character would always be welcome in my mind. There does not necessarily have to be a scene or event where Link "falls in love" but the inclusion of someone that would be special to Link in some significant way either from his past or within the current story would add a lot. Especially when so many people have talked about just how unemotional Link be as a character when he is the silent protagonist. And that most NPC's do not impact the story much at all, they are just there to be rescued or talked to within towns but add little to story.

Ila was a good step in this direction. She was heavily implied to be Link's interest in that game while it did not distract from the actual story or gameplay at all. It added to Link's character to give him some human emotions and a connection with other NPC's on a deeper level than yet another unhappy Hylian that needed rescuing. She did need rescuing at one point in the game though, but she was still a character that had an established history with Link before that event.

I have also thought Nintendo was heading in this direction with Malon when she was added in OoT. She is also one of the few characters outside of the main three to also reappear in many more titles. Her first appearance made it seem that she would be another possible love interest for Link. But Nintendo has not provided much characterization with Malon in the later games as they did in OoT.

In fact I cannot think of a game that included a love interest for the main character that actually did detract from the story or gameplay in any significant way. If anything it added much more characterization to the characters and made a much more character driven story. Instead of just another NPC mission driven story.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
He needs to be shown ending up with Zelda in some game. It's pretty obvious in Spirit Tracks but I think Nintendo should follow through.

Blazestarre

*Insert title here*
I'm pretty indifferent about Link having a love interest in-game, though if they were ever to do that, I would hope that there would be a reason for it. Not because I don't want Link to have some romance, this is just my view of romance in any story. You can't just throw one in to have one. It doesn't automatically give a character personality just because they're part of a romance. If Link had a love interest, then she'd have to have some role in the story to show that Link does have feelings for her. Twilight Princess did a pretty good job of doing this with Ilia, but there was no defined 'romance'. It was ambiguous at best.

Of course, then there's the fan reaction and not just the shipping wars that have occurred with previous games. If Link were to gain a love interest, the character would have to be likeable and good characterization (character development would be nice). Either way, fans will most likely be divided, especially if it's someone other than Zelda.

So, all in all, I wouldn't mind a love interest, just as long as it's there to add to the story.

i-am-link

DGN's Metaphysicist
I would march to the Nintendo HQ with an army of Link-needs-to-be-in-love type people and knock down the walls if the thought even crossed their mind not to give Link a girlfriend! He needs to have someone to love! Think about it. He has no parents, he's constantly saving the world, and every time there's a girl, something happens! He needs someone he can talk to about everything, so he doesn't get so stressed out from it all! Nintendo should at least make some books about Link with a girlfriend! (I'd like Link and Saria, Please and thank you.)

in most/some games links has a bond with several women in a friendly way and then just leave the rest of that story in the air, and that is so the player can follow in his mind with what character link ends up with, it would be really cool if one game broke the formula and made him have a TRUE love interest, I hope it happens :D

nah.. I rather like giving link his own personality, like in OOT, my favourite couple were LinkxSaria, however, there's a lot of MaLinkers and Zelinkers too. It was OK when they did it in games like AoL and LA wich only had one girl, but I would certainly not want to see it in a game like OOT, TP or WW where there were a lot of options :P

E

Exodus_

Link gets a little kiss behind the curtains at the end of AoL. But really I don't think he needs to have a girlfriend when the game is just about having fun on an awesome adventure. But if he had to have one it would either be Saria or Malon from OoT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom