• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Link with Human Emotions and Character Development

I disagree with some disagreements here. Namely the whole "Link isn't a character" thing.
Just because he's an avatar for the player, that doesn't make him a blank slate. The Wind Waker showed a more expressive Link while Skyward Sword has the option of either a very reluctant or snarky hero. Maybe if the dungeons before claiming the Master Sword or the big plot twist showed a scene of him reluctant to enter would be a nice idea?

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I'm all for giving Link, and by extension all of the characters in the series more emotion. Part of the reason I like SS so much was how real and animated the characters felt, even Link, so I have no problems with Link being more emotional.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Character development? No. Link is meant to be a "link" to the character. Essentially, it's you fighting the baddies.

You control what he says, at least in SS, so, in theory, you can add some of your own development, but what would there be to develop?

I always hated this argument. Link is as good as character as any is. Mario, Zelda, Link, Samus, Luigi, all of those have their own identities. Maybe the idea at first was to make Link the actual 'link' between the player and the videogame. But Link has become one of the greatest, if not the greatest Nintendo icon of all. I really doubt Nintendo still holds on to the point that the player visualises himself in the game. Link is an icon.

That being said, I'd really like the idea. Windwaker comes to mind thinking about this. Link had facial expressions for the first time which gave him more emotional depth. I think it would really enhance the gameplay experience.

"It would make his Triforce of Courage mean something."

I disagree here. The Triforce pieces are associated with those individuals who most possess those attributes. Courage is the primary aspect of Link's character just as Power is a primary aspect of Ganon and Wisdom is a primary aspect of Zelda. Also, courage and fear are not at odds with one another, and I think we witness fear at several times in the series. Any time Link falls and cries out, he's experiencing fear. There is fear in Link's expression when he first meets Ganondorf, but courage is demonstrating strength and determination in the face of fear. By definition, one cannot display courage without fear. Also, as others have mentioned, it would be very awkward to have a storyline that reflects a lack of courage, while the player is running through dungeons slicing up baddies.

So, to answer your question, I'm not particularly interested in greater character development than what we already witness in games. Technology has allowed for more intricate body language and facial features that give us an indication of how Link is feeling, so I don't really agree that he has a lack of emotion. We never see him break down and cry because he's afraid to fight a Skulltula, but would we really want to? As far as strict character development, I believe that Link develops in the minds of players even if there are not many literal developments in the game. When the Great Duke Tree tells Link about his mother leaving him in the woods, or when Lanayru recounts the story of the battle for the Sacred Realm, those stories affect Link the way that the player is affected by them. Link grows stronger in each tale. His relationships with other characters change over time. Link is not a completely blank slate, but he does largely function as the player's avatar, and I think that is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom