• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link Talking Would NOT Be the End of the World As We Know It.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Link talking would NOT be the end of the world as we know it.

In my opinion, they should make a zelda game where Link talks. I don't mean voice acting, I mean the usual dialogue boxes, at least. I'd like to see that in SS. I mean, at least TRY it. It's weird to me to play a game with a silent protagonist. Especially if other characters repeat what Link would have said (given he could talk) in a re-stated question form. Like when you go down to that space at the bottom of Gerudo Valley as kid Link in OoT with the cow and the gerudo lady who says "Why'd you come all the way down here? What? You were just about to ask me the same thing?". I find that somewhat annoying.

And if I see Tingle in SS, I am going to be sooooo annoyed...

Also, I'd like to see a zelda game at the "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" age level for once. That would be nice. But I highly doubt that'll be the case with SS. I'm just sick of green "blood" in zelda games. Like at the end of OoT, after you defeat Ganondorf the first time, he coughs up blood. At least I think he does. It just looks like he throws up though, which was just off-putting.

And if you don't know what Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is, go watch it. It's a very good anime.

Nicole

luke is my wife
Maybe it wouldn't, but I don't want it, personally.

To provide dialogue boxes of Link's speech means to give Link a set personality. If you feel a certain way, you talk a certain way. As fans, we perceive Link in different ways. We think he might act differently in certain situations. For example, we're playing OoT. Sheik is just revealed to be Zelda. Does Link mumble, "Oh. I knew it all along," or yell out, "Oh my! How did this happen?!"

It would be up to the creators to give Link a personality, something us fans have been doing on our own, without Link speaking.

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
Actually, when Sheik is revealed to be Zelda, Link jumps back and has an astonished face, showing that he's thinking, as you put it, "Oh, My. How did this happen?"

As Axle pointed out in one of his videos - Link's name is clever because he is the link between the player and the game. In most of the series his personality is non-existent or highly limited, meaning we can project ourselves onto him. Speaking would ruin this for me. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but in my view it's a poor design decision.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I would like to see that too, Caeda. Although, I've seen a few posts that strongly express that feeling. About several dozen of them. And not just on this site. And I think they're WAY too serious. I had even seen one on some other site that read "THE UNIVERSE WOULD COLLAPSE SHOULD LINK BE ALLOWED THE POWER OF SPEECH." Seriously. No joke.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I do understand where you two are coming from, Soldier of Link and jdenicholls . But I'm one of the people who find it better if Link were to have more personallity. That's just my view. When I play a game, I don't usually project myself onto the protagonist. I kinda prefer to view the Legend of Zelda as an epic story rather than a role-playing game. But again, that's just me.

Djinn

and Tonic
Honestly I never liked the whole silent protagonist concept for games. I never felt the need to project myself into the game as the personality of the hero. Link seems too wooden and empty a character in a world filled with colorful characters that have their own unique personalities. Why can't Link? We already know what he sounds like, we hear it every time he swings a heavy sword or falls off a cliff.

Does anyone think any less of Cloud, Samus, Ryu Hayabusa, or Megaman, when they gained voices? Even Mario now has a voice and personality of his own. Why must Link be left behind? I think even Pac Man is talking some in his current appearances. So I cannot understand just why Link must be left behind when all the other characters of gaming franchises evolve and become characters of their own. Link remains little more than player-1, the green guy. Especially now when Zelda games are becoming much more story driven Link stands out too much as the

Player projection makes more sense to me when there is more control over the creation and evolution of a character. Such as western style RPG's, MMOs and games like Fable. You basically make the character and the personality they have is the one you give them. How they act around towns and the reputation you create with them. As well as their skills and stats are all the player's choices. The character I play in Fable is the one I want using the skills and abilities that I choose. They are for all purposes my avatar in that world. Link in every Zelda game is still playing a created character placed on a set path with a definite ending. So I see nothing wrong with making him actually fit in that world as a part of it.

Sgt. Backwash

JEALOUSY
For what it's worth, Link does have a deal of "implied" dialogue scattered throughout Zelda games- like when you're given an option when speaking to someone, i.e answering a yes or no question, or a few specific examples from games like Wind Waker ("An ally of justice!" for instance).

But yeah, I get what you're saying. Some of the writing suffers and begins to feel unnatural because everyone else does the talking for Link.

While I know Link not talking is a part of his character to a lot of people, I think being a blank slate or character everyone can identify with or project onto is an even bigger part- and it's not something that necessarily has to be lost to a vocal Link.

I say Nintendo may as well go for it. If it ends up not working out or getting a cold reception, then whatever- at least it's attempting something new. Experimentation isn't a bad thing.
I'm just sick of green "blood" in zelda games. Like at the end of OoT, after you defeat Ganondorf the first time, he coughs up blood. At least I think he does. It just looks like he throws up though, which was just off-putting.
In the original copy of the game, he vomited red blood. The same thing happened at the very end when the sword got shoved down his throat. It was only later releases that changed this.

And I also agree with your statement about Zelda games appealing to higher age groups- it's just that the younger age groups need to be considered as well. I don't know if a violent Zelda would necessarily fly with everyone, and I have a limit to how far I'd want them to go. Not because I detest seeing violence, but because Zelda is meant to have universal appeal.

Violence isn't the only way to reach a higher demographic, or be more "mature." After all, Majora's Mask isn't any more violent than any other Zelda title, but it's regarded as being the most mature and dark game simply because of the themes it deals with. I think Nintendo could learn a bit by revisiting this one.

P.S: Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is awesome. You have good taste.

Nicole

luke is my wife
I do understand where you two are coming from, Soldier of Link and jdenicholls . But I'm one of the people who find it better if Link were to have more personallity. That's just my view. When I play a game, I don't usually project myself onto the protagonist. I kinda prefer to view the Legend of Zelda as an epic story rather than a role-playing game. But again, that's just me.

I don't usually project myself onto the protagonist either.

In the case of Zelda games, I like to formulate my own opinions and reactions to the situation, rather than watch Link make his. It bothers me sometimes when the character I control does or says something I'd never do. It's hard to put into words, but it's just how I feel about this subject.

I don't really care one way or the other. I'd like for it to stay the way it has been, but it would be interesting for a dialogue.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I see I've found a fellow FMA fan!! But it's not just the violence I was talking about, Sgt. Backwash. I understand that the zelda games are meant to have universal appeal. I just think it'd be a little more natural if there'd be a swear word or two thrown in there now and then? Y'know? At the very end of OoT when Ganon was being sealed into the evil realm, he says, "Curse you... curse you...", and I'm sitting on my couch thinking, "Really? That's ALL he has to say in that situation? You were just pwnd by Link and trapped in an evil void for all eternity and THAT'S all you can say?" I don't mean he should've said, "f*** you", or anything, though; "damn you" would've sufficed perfectly. I mean, it just seems more natural that way, y'know? It's like, how could one not curse in a situation like that? It's only natural!... That's what I was talking about.

Id like Links vocal input to stay the same, but have thought for a while he could communicate more with his facial expressions and reactions to events. That's one thing I think was done really well in windwaker is giving Link more of a personality by having him react to what's going on around him more. If this technique is done well, it could almost eliminate the need for him to speak.

Sgt. Backwash

JEALOUSY
Honestly I never liked the whole silent protagonist concept for games. I never felt the need to project myself into the game as the personality of the hero. Link seems too wooden and empty a character in a world filled with colorful characters that have their own unique personalities. Why can't Link? We already know what he sounds like, we hear it every time he swings a heavy sword or falls off a cliff.

Does anyone think any less of Cloud, Samus, Ryu Hayabusa, or Megaman, when they gained voices? Even Mario now has a voice and personality of his own. Why must Link be left behind? I think even Pac Man is talking some in his current appearances. So I cannot understand just why Link must be left behind when all the other characters of gaming franchises evolve and become characters of their own. Link remains little more than player-1, the green guy. Especially now when Zelda games are becoming much more story driven Link stands out too much as the

Player projection makes more sense to me when there is more control over the creation and evolution of a character. Such as western style RPG's, MMOs and games like Fable. You basically make the character and the personality they have is the one you give them. How they act around towns and the reputation you create with them. As well as their skills and stats are all the player's choices. The character I play in Fable is the one I want using the skills and abilities that I choose. They are for all purposes my avatar in that world. Link in every Zelda game is still playing a created character placed on a set path with a definite ending. So I see nothing wrong with making him actually fit in that world as a part of it.
I agree and disagree.

Link's implimentation as the blank page we're meant to draw on does feel rather primitive when compared to other games, but developing him into his own character with his own, very defined personallity like they would any other character isn't the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. Link's name is based on the "link" between the character and the player- it's his purpose.

Not to mention they could completely botch it and make Link annoying and unlikable like they did Samus in Other M.

This all feels kinda hypocritical to say, as someone who always names Link "Link" and doesn't do any real roleplaying or projecting in Zelda or any other game where I'm given the option- BUT I STAND BY IT. That's not to say he can't become anything remotely developed- I just think that the players should be in charge.
I see I've found a fellow FMA fan!! But it's not just the violence I was talking about, Sgt. Backwash. I understand that the zelda games are meant to have universal appeal. I just think it'd be a little more natural if there'd be a swear word or two thrown in there now and then? Y'know? At the very end of OoT when Ganon was being sealed into the evil realm, he says, "Curse you... curse you...", and I'm sitting on my couch thinking, "Really? That's ALL he has to say in that situation? You were just pwnd by Link and trapped in an evil void for all eternity and THAT'S all you can say?" I don't mean he should've said, "f*** you", or anything, though; "damn you" would've sufficed perfectly. I mean, it just seems more natural that way, y'know? It's like, how could one not curse in a situation like that? It's only natural!... That's what I was talking about.
Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with saying "damn." It's believable, and not serious enough to be offensive to anyone.

But Ganondorf, as awesome of a villain as he is, is campy enough to say "curse you." He gets clearance on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom