• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link Between Worlds or Majoras Mask 3d

Hey all. I'm considering buying another Zelda game after completing Ocarina of Time on the 3ds, and I gotta say, I LOVED it. Everything about seemed to appeal to me. But now, I have come to a choice. Do I proceed with the story and get Majora's Mask, which seems like an equally great game imo, or do I get Link Between Worlds, which the reviews and trailers have convinced me enough. (However it seems to be pretty short, and I like my games to last a bit longer.) Can anyone tell me which one you enjoyed more, and why? Thanks!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I highly recommend you get Majoras Mask. It's a different kind of story to Ocarina of Time, with a unique feel. It's got interesting side characters and the way they develop across the three day cycle is very well done.

ALBW I found it is good game but it's not a great game. Majoras Mask however is a great game.

Well, my main question is why did you like Ocarina of Time 3D?

If you liked it for the gameplay and story, Majora's Mask 3D is your best bet. Being a direct sequel, MM 3D obviously uses the same engine as the 3DS remake of OoT, and it also has a deeper and darker story than its predecessor. Keep in mind that the game is harder than most other Zelda games, however, so if you're new to the franchise, you might not want to go with Majora's Mask quite yet. You also need to be good at working under pressure as some tasks in the game can only be completed during certain points of the three day cycle and dungeons also need to be beaten in the same period.

If you liked OoT 3D for how its world is structured, A Link Between Worlds may be the better choice. The game also makes use of dual overworlds although it's more similar to A Link to the Past's than Ocarina's with Hyrule and Lorule essentially existing as two parallel worlds rather than the same place in different time periods. A Link Between Worlds is also lighter on the difficulty curve for a normal play through, but it offers a Hero Mode for when you complete your first run to up the challenge.

Hey all. I'm considering buying another Zelda game after completing Ocarina of Time on the 3ds, and I gotta say, I LOVED it. Everything about seemed to appeal to me. But now, I have come to a choice. Do I proceed with the story and get Majora's Mask, which seems like an equally great game imo, or do I get Link Between Worlds, which the reviews and trailers have convinced me enough. (However it seems to be pretty short, and I like my games to last a bit longer.) Can anyone tell me which one you enjoyed more, and why? Thanks!

That depends on whether you are more interested in story or gameplay. Eventually, you should get both, because MM3D and ALBW are both excellent games. It also depends on which one interests you more. From what it sounds like, you haven't played either. Have you tried the original MM? If you haven't, try emulating it; beyond having some of the mechanics of the game tweaked, the story is the same. If you loved ALttP, you'd probably love ALBW just as much. It all depends on your personal preference, and since money doesn't grow on trees, I don't wish to steer you toward one you might not be interested in.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Both games are amazing but it all depends on what you want. If you have to make a choice I would recommend MM. It has a very unique gameplay and great boss fights. ALBW also has a great gameplay but is less "deep" than MM. ALBW is less difficult but still a great game to play with a good storyline. It's your decision though.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
MM3D just for the fact doing everything will last you longer, plus as others have said it's got a very good story and the characters develop, if you've played ALTTP you'd guess ALBW's story almost instantly.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Both are great and I highly recommend getting both of them, but I would say to get MM3D first if you're coming straight from Ocarina of Time, since it's a direct sequel. If that sort of thing doesn't concern you, you could essentially get whichever you're feeling more curious about then. But they're both very good in their own rights.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I personally prefer ALBW to MM (ALBW is one of my favourite Zelda titles overall), but you need to decide for yourself what appeals more to you.

MM very much has the fanbase divided. There are those that proclaim it to be the very best Zelda game, an underappreciated gem, and those are generally the ones who really latch onto the story, since MM is probably the Zelda game that give NPCs that little extra, like letting them have a "life" of their own. While for those that don't get into all the individual stories the same way more view MM as a game with a few annoying mechanisms like temporary saves (has been fixed in the 3DS version) and having to turn back time over and over again and redo sections over and over again (if you didn't completely explore an area before turning back time).

ALBW is also seen in different ways, depending on where you come from. It seems to me that for people who love ALttP ALBW comes off as anything between an homage to the old classic to a knock-off, for people who don't have a previous relationship with ALttP ALBW seems to come off more often as the preferred game out of the two (like with me), and people are generally divided on loving it for allowing you to do dungeons in pretty much any order you may choose, or disliking it for having a seemingly "flat" difficulty/allowing you to get almost every item very early in the story.

So if you are a very story-driven gamer, then MM is probably going to appeal more to you

If you are a gamer who prefers a higher challenge in terms of difficulty, then MM is probably going to appeal more to you

If you prefer having more options on where to go and what to do, then ALBW is probably going to appeal more to you

If you're a gamer who likes to do things at your own pace, then ALBW is probably going to appeal more to you

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom