• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link and Literacy

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Just something I thought of while looking at complaints about the Theory section in the shoutbox. I actually am not sure if this is a theory-proper or just speculation, but it is a theme I've been using in my fan fiction for a long time.

A friend of mine turned me onto the idea that Link, the Hero of Time from Ocarina of Time, specifically, cannot read.

Her reasoning (and mine, since I've adopted the theory) is that the Kokiri children seem to be more interested in playing than in learning. They live in the forest freely and pretty much only want to play games all the time. They're also forest spirits that don't have much need for most of the skills of civilization. Now, they do have signs in their forest, but if you notice, they have fairies around them all the time. I think a case can be made for the fairies reading for them and helping them to make their signs (or for them knowing how to read a few simple words, but they still use fairies to assist them).

If you notice, throughout the game, whenever Link looks at a sign and targets it to read it, Navi targets it and seems to be the one reading it for him (her use as a target-system). It makes sense to me, furthermore, because Navi reads *all* the signs, including those presumably written in Goron, Zora and Gerudo, hinting at a her being a polyglot or just having a magical ability to understand any writing to read it back to Link.

The same thing happens with Tatl in Majora's Mask. She reads the signs in Termina for Link - which is a simple explanation for his being able to understand the signs littering a foreign country instantly.

It's not like he will not eventually learn to read. I find the idea of Zelda teaching him the skill to be very sweet. Maybe I really latched onto my friend's idea because I do consider reading to be a kind of "magical" ability. (In one of my original novels I have one character teaching another "this magic").

This theory ONLY applies to the Hero of Time, however. Other Links clearly do read. Link's house in Twilight Princess, for instance, is *full* of books. Likewise, Link in Wind Waker targets and reads signs himself (probably all written in standard Hylian of his era).

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Makes a lot of sense. I never really thought anything about Navi reading signs for him. It's a minor detail that I'm sure Nintendo didn't even think about, and it's not glaring enough to be a plot hole like what was discussed before: Why didn't Lulu in MM write Mikau a note explaining what happened to her. Dunno if you saw that topic or not, but I pretty much said the same thing: Nintendo overlooked it.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Makes sense to me. After all, the Kokiri Forest didn't appear to have any sort of school facility, and Link didn't exactly have the parents to teach him either. It's very possible that he couldn't read--perhaps along with all the Kokiri since they too, all had fairies. Now, whether or not that's what Nintendo intended, I'm not sure. But I really hope it was. As you said, it would be very sweet if Zelda were the one to teach him--she is the princess, she certainly would be educated enough to do so. (And really, it's just a very nice mental image.) Likewise, I think it would make Navi seem more necessary as well. I mean, it's not often that the player really seeks out her advice on any other playthrough besides the first. Link's illiteracy would mean she's doing more than making obvious observations and shouting "Hey! Listen!".

I agree that this certainly wouldn't apply to all the incarnations, especially with the likes of the Minish Cap and Skyward Sword incarnations, where Link is confirmed in-game to have gone to school.

Nice speculation! I've added this to my long list of Oot head-cannons.

Salem

SICK
I actually heard about this theory before, it really makes a lot sense. It might actually explain the guard making fun of Link for not being able to read for being a kid.

Could that be the reason he was looking for Navi in MM? Maybe he got a letter and needs someone to read it for him?:xd:

Last edited:

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I do want to add that if Link is unable to read, it's not because he's not smart... I think he could learn easily, since he learns so many other things easily. He just needs Zelda to teach him, or maybe Kafei and Anju (to adopt him and teach him Terminian... this happens in my fanfics, too). Illiteracy tends to be a "mark of dumb" in our society, but it actually is a recent development, historically, that "most people know how to read their native language." For most of history, most people didn't need to and availability of reading was an upper-class thing. (Which is why it makes sense that Zelda would read, but Link, a peasant, might not have that).

In my native language, I am hyper-literate. When it comes to English, I read well and have... well, I know I have a higher vocabulary than most people. Also, I write, which is probably why that is. I get frustrated at some of the *actual legitimate words* I know that Microsoft Word doesn't seem to think exist. "Peridot" is real, you idiot programmers! It's a kind of semi-precious stone! Urk, anyway... I have the gifts of written wordsmithing in English, yet, when I walk into my local Asian-goods market with all of it's products labeled in Chinese, Korean and Japanese, I am quite lost unless someone's put an English (or at least an Engrish) label on things. Many products are labeled thusly, while some are not and I'm left guessing at "what ingredients are in this tea" by the pictures on the box. I love my Asian market with its awesome Japanese snacks and Chinese cooking ingredients, but I feel... SO illiterate when I'm there!

So, Link, in order to really feel on top of the world, learn to read Hylian from Zelda, bug Ruto to teach you Zoran, Darunia to teach you Goron and Nabooru to teach you Gerudo.

Or just find Navi again, the little blue know-it-all.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Yep it does fit the time period OoT is mimicking, a lot of people in real world medieval times didnt know how to read. But, since it's a fantasy, we can assume otherwise. The people in Kakariko arent aristocrats and they have signs. So we can say it's just like nowadays, almost every kid goes to school, only with swords and other medieval stuff.

I'll nod at your frustrations with word processors, I knew there's a gem called peridot, geez...

And lol, bug Ruto to teach him Zoran? Doesn't SHE bug HIM? I'd leave her alone if I were him, she has that creepy crush on him, and I'm pretty sure he's not too keen on making wierd zora/hylian hybrid heirs to the zora throne with her. If it's even possible considering zoras lay eggs o_o Let's not go there. King Zora can teach him if he can find some way to distract Ruto long enough. Or even some other random zora.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I like that, it's quite sweet that Link needs everything read out for him by a fairy, even when he's 17.

:lol:

Hahahaha, this is the best thing anyone has ever said.

Anyway, I never really thought about it before but I do think it's completely possible that Link can't read in OoT. Another proof of this could be that he doesn't read the note Ruto leaves in the bottle, but King Zora does.

Lmao Excellent! Come to think of it it's hard to find situations where this couldn't be implied, even letters he receives, Navi & Tatl describe them with "It says..." etc. D'awwwwwwwwwwww :D

I'm really impressed by this idea. It is something that I've never thought about, but it seems to fit very nicely with every interaction involving text in the game. Very cool to think about.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
Perhaps the Deku tree did teach them to read, since they do have signs, who would have made them, the fairies? Be a little hard for them to handle a hammer and chisel. I'm sure they have their own language that the Deku tree taught them. But For Link to understand signs in Kakariko, Goron City, Zora's Domain, and Gerudo Fortress I would accept that Navi knew all those languages and translated for him.

This is a pretty interesting theory. It does make sense on why Navi reads for Link since there are no schools in Kokiri Forest. This could be another reason why the Kokiri have fairies to begin with.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
I think the Kokiri have fairies because their guardian is a bloody tree that can't move. :p

So the Great Deku Tree employs the fairies to be the guides and confidants of the Kokiri who will stay with them and keep them out of trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom