• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Lies you were taught in school

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I remember in school we were taught that the tongue has different areas for different tastes and also that electrons orbit a nucleus in a nice round fashion as planets orbit a sun. Both of these teachings of course are complete bollocks. They actually disproved that there are separate areas on the tongue for different tastes and instead you can taste with any part of the tongue that has taste buds on it. As for what we were taught about atoms it is actually impossible to track the orbit of an electron around a nucleus.

I found particularly with science subjects that when you get to advanced level you have to unlearn a lot of falsehoods that you have been fed in the earlier years. Though science is not the only subject where I have later discovered I had been lied to in.

This led me to wonder if any of you fellow forum dwellers can think of things you were taught in school which were untrue.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
That america is the greatest nation.
Almost all of sex ed was wrong for my school it was mostly just conservative biased.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Well we didn't win that's for sure.

giphy.gif

Also never knew kids were actually taught America was the greatest nation on earth. Sure, told it was a great nation, but also was told about its shortcomings.
"Welcome to math class, today we're learning that America is the greatest nation, praise our Supreme Emperor Bush"

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well we didn't win that's for sure.

Btw deus I thought the different areas of the tongue were sensitive to different tastes, but not necessarily needed to taste a certain thing.

There is no pattern of taste distribution that can be mapped. Yes some areas detect tastes at different thresholds so some areas are more sensitive and some less so. However every area of the tongue is capable of tasting all flavours.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Where tf do you people go to school? In Ohio I was taught Amerigo Vaspuchi or something discovered the Americas.

Amerigo=America

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
/me tries to remember what he learned in school...

*fails* :fpalm:

Okay I think I had an early gradeschool teacher say once that you can't start a sentence with "But." Probably because she sucked at what she does for a living I took that to be a hard and fast rule but it's obvious it was just some inane peev of hers or something. I actually spent years thinking sentences that started with the word "But" were illegit. I think I actually had a highschool teacher remark "WHAT???" like I was a crazy person when I mentioned it while he was reviewing my paper. But by then I pretty much figured I'd been had.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
/me tries to remember what he learned in school...

*fails* :fpalm:

Okay I think I had an early gradeschool teacher say once that you can't start a sentence with "But." Probably because she sucked at what she does for a living I took that to be a hard and fast rule but it's obvious it was just some inane peev of hers or something. I actually spent years thinking sentences that started with the word "But" were illegit. I think I actually had a highschool teacher remark "WHAT???" like I was a crazy person when I mentioned it while he was reviewing my paper. But by then I pretty much figured I'd been had.
You're a large fortified structure. How did you fit in a school?

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Where tf do you people go to school? In Ohio I was taught Amerigo Vaspuchi or something discovered the Americas.

Amerigo=America

Well the continent's named for Vaspuchi but the Scandinavian Vikings were here for a while centuries before his expedition and of course the first native population migrated across the Pacific and stayed. "Education" likes to dumb things down into the simplest of concepts for ease of understanding. Kinda makes you wonder who education is meant for, doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom