• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legend of Zelda (NES): 3D Remake Progress

Hello!

I have been working on a remake of the original Legend of Zelda using the Unity game engine.

Below is a video showing a side-by-side comparison of what I have implemented so far vs. the original game. This video in particular covers the first dungeon, Eagle.

https://youtu.be/I2sw0RZMOvk

Yeah, a more realistic hand painted style. The Link model and the Stalfos I have are all from Hyrule Warriors, I really liked what they did with the original Link model in that game.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Yeah, a more realistic hand painted style. The Link model and the Stalfos I have are all from Hyrule Warriors, I really liked what they did with the original Link model in that game.
So I imagine nothing has been done yet on the fighting and physics engines and whatnot? Or is there more that you just have not shown yet?

How long do you think this project will be? I'm really excited myself.

So I imagine nothing has been done yet on the fighting and physics engines and whatnot? Or is there more that you just have not shown yet?

How long do you think this project will be? I'm really excited myself.

The project itself is something I have wanted to do for quite some time, tossed ideas and even made attempts in the past. Having Unity and access to tutorials and a nice PC, I have finally been able to act on my ideas. I have been working on the first dungeon a good bit since January. The nice thing is, I have the room designed modularly, so it makes things easier moving forward. Combat, the HUD, additional sounds, additional models, updated texture work, all of these things are still on the plate to be completed.

As for an ETA to completion, I am shooting for the end of this year, being it is the 30th anniversary of the release of the game.

Probably going to be garbage when it comes out. A lot of games can't make transitions like this, and a lot of the magic is lost when doing so.

Probably going to be garbage when it comes out. A lot of games can't make transitions like this, and a lot of the magic is lost when doing so.
Constructive criticism is appreciated. Simply stating that my work will be garbage is not appreciated.

Jamie

The project itself is something I have wanted to do for quite some time, tossed ideas and even made attempts in the past. Having Unity and access to tutorials and a nice PC, I have finally been able to act on my ideas. I have been working on the first dungeon a good bit since January. The nice thing is, I have the room designed modularly, so it makes things easier moving forward. Combat, the HUD, additional sounds, additional models, updated texture work, all of these things are still on the plate to be completed.

As for an ETA to completion, I am shooting for the end of this year, being it is the 30th anniversary of the release of the game.
You think you can make all of these engines by the end of this year? If so, that would be incredible. But I fear the game may be much too hard without a top down view. But perhaps not.

You think you can make all of these engines by the end of this year? If so, that would be incredible. But I fear the game may be much too hard without a top down view. But perhaps not.

I do have plans for top down as well. If you check out my other videos, you can see in the overworld comparison I have it switching between 1st, 3rd and top down perspectives.

Constructive criticism is appreciated. Simply stating that my work will be garbage is not appreciated.
I appreciate the work, but I just don't think a game designed a certain style can just make the jump into 3D. Games like OoT were designed from the ground up to be in 3D. It's like if they make this RE2 remake an over the shoulder shooter... that misses the point, style, and challenge of the original game completely. It's just a guess, but I wish you the best of luck.

I appreciate the work, but I just don't think a game designed a certain style can just make the jump into 3D. Games like OoT were designed from the ground up to be in 3D. It's like if they make this RE2 remake an over the shoulder shooter... that misses the point, style, and challenge of the original game completely. It's just a guess, but I wish you the best of luck.

Ahh, yes, I do understand what you mean. This video was done only from the first person perspective as I have not added in the top-down controls or scripts to remove the roof and chandeliers in the rooms.

Below is another video I have uploaded which shows the over world and how one can switch between the different views.

https://youtu.be/ddOM0gjGC4Q

Jamie

Ahh, yes, I do understand what you mean. This video was done only from the first person perspective as I have not added in the top-down controls or scripts to remove the roof and chandeliers in the rooms.

Below is another video I have uploaded which shows the over world and how one can switch between the different views.

https://youtu.be/ddOM0gjGC4Q
That looks goddamn fantastic. Please keep doing this! I love it. If you need help with anything, feel free to ask, I'm a coder myself. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom