• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Kaepora Gaebora: Not an Owl at All?

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
First, let me say that I don't even know if this thread should be in this section or not, so please don't get mad at me if it's in the wrong section. THANKS!

Second, my theory. I was in a class the other day and i was told by the teacher of the class that owls don't make a noise when they flap their wings, in a demonstration, the teacher moved a hawk wing up and down, and it made no noise. The teacher then moved up and down an ENTIRE owl wing and it made no noise whatsoever. So think about Kaepora Gaebora from OoT, is he really an owl? Or is he some kind of made up Zelda Species? Just thought I'd throw that out there, because his wings make a very loud flapping noise when he flies anywhere, so I thought I could ask everyone what they think. So is Kaepora Gaepora really an owl? What do you think?

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I think that Rauru is Kepora Gebora because he already knows your name when you enter the Sacred Realm.

initialDable

going deku
So think about Kaepora Gaebora from OoT, is he really an owl? Or is he some kind of made up Zelda Species?

Well it's interesting you ask that because not only does Kaepora Gaebora's wings make sounds, but he is abnormally huge. o_O For an owl.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
To initiaDable: Yes, Kaepora's Gaebora is humongous, but owl's feathers are soft, light, and fluffy so the size of him shouldn't matter either way.

To Hylian Knight: I agree with you that Kaepora Gaebora is Rauru, but that again still doesn't explain why his wings make noise when he flaps them.

Last edited:

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
To initiaDable: Yes, Kaepora's Gaebora is humongous, but owl's feathers are soft, light, and fluffy so the size of him shouldn't matter either way.

To Hylian Knight: I agree with you that Kaepora Gaebora is Rauru, but that again still doesn't explain why his wings make noise when he flaps them.
If what I said then is true then Kepora Gebora isn't a true owl just a human in disguise which explain why his wings make sounds.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
then Kepora Gebora isn't a true owl just a human in disguise which explain why his wings make sounds.
Does it? That's like saying that he shouldn't have a beak when he is in owl-form. You know, because he is just in disguise?

If Beast Boy from the Teen Titans changed into the shape of an owl, he would still have owl wings. Ergo, he shouldn't make a sound.
If Manimal (RIP, Simon MacCorkindale) changed into the shape of an owl, same thing.
If the Martian Manhunter changed into the shape of an owl, etc.

Why would Rauru make a sound if he turned into the shape of an owl?

Jedizora

:right:
Owls do need a certain type of feather to fly silently. If a owl doesn't have them it could still fly, just not silently. He might have had them ripped of.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Owls do need a certain type of feather to fly silently. If a owl doesn't have them it could still fly, just not silently. He might have had them ripped of.
His wings aren't ripped you can see backside and front interesting theory though.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
To jedizora: I'm pretty sure all owls have the soft feathers to fly silently, and I'm not exactly sure how you got the idea that his wings were ripped off, but interesting thought.
To Michael Heide: I don't really know what to think about your comment... I know about beast boy, but not any of the others you mentioned. Back on topic, it was a good comment! It made me think... kind of...

Last edited:
J

Jlemon21

I thought he(or "it") was supposed to a spirit of some sort. And just because Kaepora Gaebora's wings make noise doesn't mean he's not an Owl. I doubt Nintendo would have known that their wings made no noise (I honestly didn't know that either). And it would have probably looked like lazy programing if he flew off without any noise at all.

G

Generations

Does it really matter if Kaepora Gaebora is an Owl or not? My guess is that they made his wings have a flapping sound so that people that don't know that owls don't make noises while flapping their wings don't stop and ask, "why aren't his wings making a noise?" I'm not bashing your theory, I just think that the developers just put it there either by mistake or to keep people from getting angry.

benjibibbles

Disastrous Waffle Person
My guess is that it's a game about a really small country that was created by three random golden people and the laws of science don't apply. In all seriousness though, I don't think Nintendo is host to a pack of biologists so they wouldn't have known.

That's fairly poor basis for a theory. I didn't know that about owls at all. I guarantee you that is not basic knowledge, and it's entirely natural to give a flapping sound to a winged creature (and I probably would have if I designed the game even if I knew real owls didn't make a flapping sound). He's obviously not exactly an owl by our terms as he's clearly not of some distinct owl species we could identify. However, just as obviously, he is supposed to be a generic giant owl creature. He's an owl.

I think that Rauru is Kepora Gebora because he already knows your name when you enter the Sacred Realm.
This is a popular theory and is also basically impossible. Rauru didn't seem to be physical but he was alive. A Gossip Stone states:

"They say that the owl named Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an ancient Sage."

So Kaepora Gaebora is a Sage, but one that died a long, LONG time ago ("ancient").

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom