• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Just Why is "3D" Better?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The Zelda series is a versatile one for sure, changes in gameplay, controls, graphical styles, even perspectives. Now most series' tend to move in a linear direction when it comes to making changes but this series in particular, seems to chop and change all the time.

While a lot of the older franchises have made the transition into a 3D world now, this series, as showcased with the upcoming title, A Link Between Worlds, is still appreciating the classic perspective. However, why is it labeled "classic"? Why do people have to associate top down as the past and behind the back as the present/future? It really baffles me how people have this view. Just because other games haven't looked back it doesn't mean it has stay in the past.

I have heard multiple people argue that the 2D games are better, then you have the two types of fans -- the A Link to the Past lovers and the Ocarina of Time lovers. The fact is that a true top down game hasn't been done since The Minish Cap, basically while 3D games are expanding, the "2D" games aren't. This is why I think people are having this view. However, Nintendo are changing that with this next installment, and maybe this will change people's perspectives on top down games.

So with my rant of sorts over, just why are "3D" games better? Now many may come up with multiple arguments why 2D are better, but these people are the same ones, like myself, who rank most of the 3D games above the others. So why do we have this view?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
PH and ST were both top down, what're you talkin about mate? D:

Anywho I do not believe a 3D Zelda is inherently better than a 2D Zelda. I don't love OoT more than ALttP because it's 3D; I love OoT more than ALttP because it resonates with me more. That extra dimension has nothing to do with it ;)

I suppose that some people may prefer 3D to 2D because of the perspective, but I honestly don't know.

Gomp

Love, loving life!
The Zelda series is a versatile one for sure, changes in gameplay, controls, graphical styles, even perspectives. Now most series' tend to move in a linear direction when it comes to making changes but this series in particular, seems to chop and change all the time.

While a lot of the older franchises have made the transition into a 3D world now, this series, as showcased with the upcoming title, A Link Between Worlds, is still appreciating the classic perspective. However, why is it labeled "classic"? Why do people have to associate top down as the past and behind the back as the present/future? It really baffles me how people have this view. Just because other games haven't looked back it doesn't mean it has stay in the past.

I have heard multiple people argue that the 2D games are better, then you have the two types of fans -- the A Link to the Past lovers and the Ocarina of Time lovers. The fact is that a true top down game hasn't been done since The Minish Cap, basically while 3D games are expanding, the "2D" games aren't. This is why I think people are having this view. However, Nintendo are changing that with this next installment, and maybe this will change people's perspectives on top down games.

So with my rant of sorts over, just why are "3D" games better? Now many may come up with multiple arguments why 2D are better, but these people are the same ones, like myself, who rank most of the 3D games above the others. So why do we have this view?

I think it is as easy as this: I a 3D game, there can still be top down view ..
In a 2D game, there can be no 3D view ..

Hence people like 3D better than 2D .. Simply cause there is 2D in a 3D game.. But no 3D in a 2D game.. :p

DarkLink17

Well then
I think with a 3D title, players feel a more powerful sense of immersion when playing, rather than in a top-down style game. In the 2D titles, you simply feel like you are controlling Link, instead of actually being him. Also, in 3D games, there is so much more potential for perspective based puzzles. Some examples are changing the water level in a temple, turning it upside down, and more realistic fishing gameplay ( as opposed to LA). Overall, 3D titles tend to be more complex in gameplay, and this is why more players are inclined towards that style. Dont get me wrong, I love the 2D titles, this is just why I believe more people like three dimensions of gameplay.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'd say neither form is objectively better, but, there's just more you can do with 3D, simple as that. It's an extra dimension. :P You can prefer one or the other but, yeah, it's just more.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It's not so black and white, but yeah, I'd generally say 3D games are better. 2D games are a little over simplified in the sense that combat is based around doing the same thing over and over and over...reminds me of Star Fox Adventures (Maybe it got better, but my God I was just way too bored and couldn't get push myself to get further than the beginning). Even OoT and MM had more to combat than just spamming B. You utilized items, you had to dodge your opponent, consider the range of your moves, etc.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Even OoT and MM had more to combat than just spamming B. You utilized items, you had to dodge your opponent, consider the range of your moves, etc.

This is true...to an extent. You can mash B to win in the 2D games and suffer no damage (just position Link diagonally to an opponent ;)) but when you get to the bosses, you typicalyl do have to deal with dodging, just like you would in a 3D game. :)

As previously said, 3d doesn't necessarily make the game better. It does allow for diferent artistic styles to be portrayed and allows multilayered dungeons and other puzzles that require depth though.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
It creates a simple grand scale. Look at Alttp and then look at OoT. The change is phenomenal. 3D allows for a great combination of atmosphere, cinematics, new challenges and mechanics, and a rain of awesomeness Link is physically immersed in. I love it.

Also, PH and ST are 3D games. Get it right!

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Nonsense, let's look at Spirit Tracks. A-it's in 3D due to the obvious 3D polygons.
B- The entire train sequences require 3D mechanics and gameplay. You look to both sides with a camera that can circle a full 360 and change elevation, and you even fight enemies that come at you through various elevations and altitudes.
C-to chart an enemies location relative to yourself, you would have to calculate x,y, and z. These are the very mathematical concepts of length, width, and depth that form a 3D world
D- despite the over-head design for many portions of the game, Castle Town has 3D jumping puzzles and cucco rides. Dungeons even have complex 3D rolling machines and multi-leveled rooms.
It's 3D if there ever was 3D!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
So ALBW is 3D too? Also, jumping was around in the older 2D games too--hell, it was even more prevalent.

Salem

SICK
How about we just rephrase the question.

Is there anything inherent about 3d that makes it superior to 2d?

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
Obviously 3D is just going with the times, but it also opens up a lot more opportunities as far as gameplay goes, with items and such. Dungeons can be more diverse because they can have a sense of verticality, and the world can be made to look more alive because you can see it from all angles. I don't see it as 'ditching' top down, because that's what happening on the handheld systems. 3D just works on home consoles because they have the power to do it. But yeah, there's no 'this is better' or 'this one sucks', it's just taking advantage of what the systems can do.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
everyone here is making good arguments, but im gonna give a short answer and say there is nothing "Better" about 3D games. They are just a different style of gameplay based on same over-all Formula. Each has its own Pros and Cons. a 3D game is more likely to have lil hiccups and technical difficulties, whereas a 2D game is just not as...immersive (spellcheck that), due to the 3rd dimension not being there, giving you the ability to actually look around, and have depth to the world your in. however comments like this:
Overall, 3D titles tend to be more complex in gameplay

are just NOT TRUE! 2D titles have a great ability to provide Difficult puzzles over 3D games, this sounds wrong but its true. Think about it, in a 3D world you can walk around and look at things from different angles, giving you the ability to see a puzzle from multiple angles providing you with many ways to look at said puzzle and come up with a solution. in a 2D game you have a puzzle, and the way you see it.... is what you get, not to mention the scrolling nature of 2D titles where some puzzles involve multiple rooms, but you can only see the puzzle one room at a time, with that the puzzle solution tends to come from a "trial and error" development for the solution, than a "study,plan,take action and get results" development provided by a 3D view!

In the end im not gonna sit here and say 2D titles are better..... but i'm also not going to sit and listen to people bias points of views saying 3D is better. as if the answer is that simple.... Cuz its not. I do prefer 2D title, but with ALBW introducing 3D elements to the 2D playing field, i have a feeling the opinions of some will change, as this may be a game changer. and hopefully gets a good reception so we can do something about the recent absents on 2D style game in which the Franchise came from, traded for 3D only.

I like having both, and i would like it if the release of both styles becomes more balanced!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom