• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

It Seems Like the Zelda Cycle is Starting Its Route Again...

If you aren't aware of what the Zelda Cycle is, here's a guide as to what will happen once Skyward Sword is released:

zeldacycle.png

Anyways, the Wind Waker fanbase is getting more vocal, less hate for Twilight Princess is going around, Majora's Mask is about to be considered overrated, and Ocarina of Time is considered outdated. All signs lead to the Zelda Cycle, now we just have to wait for SS to release so people can hate on that game for silly reasons...

Last edited:
You have a point, this does seem to be the way it goes... poor Majora's Mask, it's already been hated once! I will still love it, though. Why must we always hate on a game? I like them all :(

geek4887

The Unknown
I would disagree, because Zelda is a beloved franchise. It wouldn't thrive for 25 years, if it wasn't loved. There will always be haters, and FYI, OoT is considered a timeless classic, so it shouldn't get "outdated". I still love LoZ even though it only uses a couple of sprites, that doesn't mean it gets hated.

This cycle seems quite plausible, based on the estimated average age of the fanbase vs. nostalgia. For an example, the people who consider ALttP to be the best game in the series was quite active about a decade ago, but they mostly dissapeard after TP was released.

So let's just face it: The best game in the series is usually one of the first games in the series you play (problably as a kid), and when you get older than 30 years; you will have plenty of more importaint things to think about than videogames and fanbases.

Last edited:
I have not played a Zelda game I hated yet... there are some things in them that I hate but not the entire game.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
The cycle has merit, but it's that way with just about every game series. For example Final Fantasy. Take FFXIII for example. It started off as people hating it. Now that FFXIV is out, people love it. for the other two, I use FFVII. People didn't like it because it brought industrialization. Then when FFVIII came out, after the hype ended, FFVII got popular again. Then, it became the "god" of the series. Now, a lot of people see it as an outdated classic.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
It's sort of a general trend for any canon really, even things like art/literary movements. You get a brand new idea that pushes the boundaries of how people view the canon, or maybe some sort of drastic change, or even something just different from its predecessors, just some form of change, and it is going to be met with outlash from people who have gotten used to how the canon has been established, but you also get people who praise the new addition for taking a risk. Give it some time and it starts to gain acceptance as the wild "OMG HOW COULD YOU CHANGE ALL THIS" cries die down to more objective views, since with anything new, you need time for the hype to die down and the effects to sink in before you can really judge it for anything. At this point, there will inevitably be a portion of followers who hone in on the aspects of the thing that they really love, which quite often is the same revolutionary aspect that was previously bashed. Often, such movements of praise will be countered with movements of criticism simply because people like to argue. This sort of creates ebbs and flows for how much a particular idea is treated in the minds of the masses. What usually happens though is that the less impressive features fall out of public focus after all this back and forth has been exhausted, and the impressive features that were the subject of heated controversies in its prime become labeled as classics.

Now, all of that loosely corresponds to the cycle the OP had visualized, but it's an extreme generalization with no examples because when I was writing it, I had not only the Zelda series in mind, but also other old game franchises as well as the general history of both literary canon and fine art canon. The cycle becomes customized to each canon. With the Zelda canon, as far as the OP's cycle is concerned, his is incredibly generalized. SS is controversial, not hated, and MM has actually kind of fallen both out and back into the "overrated category", not just straight in. But it does give a good basic look at the general flow of opinions over time.

I have a few problems with this "cycle." First, it seems odd to say "this cycle will only come into effect once Skyward Sword is released." Doesn't that go against the very nature of a cycle being a repeating pattern?

Second, if you turn it back a generation, you introduce A Link to the Past. Maybe I just haven't looked around enough, but I've never heard anyone call A Link to the Past overrated and it's widely regarded as a very good game.

Third, when was Majora's Mask ever a "god" game in the Zelda series? I've always seen nearly equal parts positive and negative feedback toward it. For everyone that's engrossed in the characters and atmosphere, there's someone else who's put off by the time limit and save system. Sure it's getting a lot of attention now, but I doubt the supporters would be as vocal about it if Aonuma hadn't said a 3DS remake would be possible if there was enough fan interest.

I have a few problems with this "cycle." First, it seems odd to say "this cycle will only come into effect once Skyward Sword is released." Doesn't that go against the very nature of a cycle being a repeating pattern?

Second, if you turn it back a generation, you introduce A Link to the Past. Maybe I just haven't looked around enough, but I've never heard anyone call A Link to the Past overrated and it's widely regarded as a very good game.

Third, when was Majora's Mask ever a "god" game in the Zelda series? I've always seen nearly equal parts positive and negative feedback toward it. For everyone that's engrossed in the characters and atmosphere, there's someone else who's put off by the time limit and save system. Sure it's getting a lot of attention now, but I doubt the supporters would be as vocal about it if Aonuma hadn't said a 3DS remake would be possible if there was enough fan interest.

@First - I mean that this is the cycle that will most likely happen once SS is released. This theory is due to the fact that this has happened many times before.

@Second - I think Link to the Past is incredibly overrated. ./topic

@Third - Oh god, MM seems to get nothing but praise right now. I've been to multiple Zelda forums where they consider MM the God of Zelda games at the moment.

Oh, and as everybody is saying, this list is indeed very generalized. As you see, it is by no means absolute, it is just the general idea of what goes with the Zelda fanbase and their opinions.

There are some problems I see with this:

OoT Fanboys are still vocal
OoT was always considered overrated
Majora's Mask was considered overrated years ago
Twilight Princess started with a huge dislike and huge like

This cycle is too generalized, in my opinion. Pay attention to specifics, and this is pretty incorrect.
OoT wasn't considered overrated until a while after it was released.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
This is typical for any series, but I have to disagree with this to an extent. I don't see why Skyward Sword would be the attention of hate upon release. Ocarina of Time was never like that. Sure, a few fans here and there didn't like it, but it's pretty much always been the fan favorite of the series. With how beloved OoT is, I don't see it ever being considered outdated. In fact, I've never heard any of the games before OoT described as that, which kind of seems to suggest that it won't happen to OoT. Skyward Sword seems like the kind of game that will revive the series in the eyes of the fans that think the series is dying (which is frankly stupid to believe imo). I also don't see Majora's Mask being considered overrated after SS's release. Its popularity has blown up quite a bit, but that's because people are finally realizing how great of a game it is, whereas many fans rejected it upon release, making it an underrated game. If fans hadn't been so stubborn about it not being "traditional" when the game came out, it would have been as big as it is now back then and would work the same way OoT is in how it's considered timeless. Same basic principle with WW. WW was somewhat hated by fans at first due to the graphics. But over time, people have gotten over that silly little complaint and come to see the game for what it is now that they're not blinded by hatred for the graphics. However, I can definitely see TP being considered somewhat outdated at some point, but that's really the only one I think that will ever happen to, as it's already considered by many to be an overrated game right now. But I don't think even it will be seen as a game that was once great but has "aged" over time and isn't good anymore.

All that to say I think this cycle doesn't apply to Zelda as much as it does other series. Zelda is a timeless series due to how unique it is. It's not completely immune to it, but it's not anywhere near as affected by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom