• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is X & Y Worth Buying?

The only pokemon games ive really enjoyed have been the first 3. So does X/Y take the best bits off them or is it completely new. Or is it like a newer version of B/W (B/W being a game I did not enjoy). What do you think guys, worth a student with a low payed part time jobs money?

Sheik

:the:
Two things I should point out are that it is a lot faster-paced (you never really seem to be bored to the game because it moves along much quicker) and that you have a HUGE variety of Pokemans to choose from. Even near the beginning if the game you'll have so many different species and types of Pokemen, much more than usual, IMO

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Oh, absolutely! I strongly feel that every Pokémon title is worth purchasing, and X and Y are both excellent installments to the franchise. If you have both the time and money to purchase either or both games, then I strongly recommend getting them as soon as possible. If you're short on cash and/or don't have too much time to spare, then I would recommend either buying only one copy or waiting a little bit before purchasing one.

Two things I should point out are that it is a lot faster-paced (you never really seem to be bored to the game because it moves along much quicker) and that you have a HUGE variety of Pokemans to choose from. Even near the beginning if the game you'll have so many different species and types of Pokemen, much more than usual, IMO

^This is something that bugged me about Sinnoh especially, the first generation that I thought was poorly paced. In X and Y, I'd beaten the first gym in under an hour and seen over 50 Pokemon by the two and a half hour mark. It's the little touches that make the introduction interesting, like receiving your first Pokemon from a friend instead of the professor.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
COMPLETE...DIRECTIONAL...FREEDOM
i spent 5 minutes one time just going in circles on the bike

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

Too bad it still has absurdly pointless linearity.

^This is something that bugged me about Sinnoh especially, the first generation that I thought was poorly paced.

Bro, Gen I's pacing was awful. Horrendous grindy feel and obvious plot points designed to make you perform an arbitrary action. Still fun as a whole, but DAMN was it a work in progress.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

Bro, Gen I's pacing was awful. Horrendous grindy feel and obvious plot points designed to make you perform an arbitrary action. Still fun as a whole, but DAMN was it a work in progress.

True, but it gets a by for being the first in the series.

Rival encounters and gyms were better spaced in the subsequent two generations with gym leaders and even champions playing a larger role in the story, rather than being an enemy fought at X location.

JJ your response makes... not sense. By nature of being the first attempt at the formula the first game doesn't necessary deserve all the criticism for a mistake later games have, because it was the first go whereas the later games kept the flaw instead of learning from the first. First time making a mistake and the second time repeating a mistake are not equal. I'm not arguing whether this was an issue in Sinnoh or Kanto at all -- I'm not informed on that -- but ALIT's logic is fine.

Anyway speaking as someone who admittedly has not played X and Y yet... they look pretty worth buying to me. First Pokemon game I've been excited about in a while. I've never been a huge Pokemon fan. Liked the series, but by no means loved it. But the things I've learned about these games prior to release and from friends who've gotten them sound pretty exciting to me.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Absolutely. I'm only an hour or so into the game, and already I'm loving it.

Each set of games has a distinct feel about it to me, something it excels at that makes it unique to the rest of the games.
Gen 1 was the O.G., it was brand new at the time and made RPG's, something I hadn't been much a fan of beforehand, worth playing.
Gen 2 built off of the legacy of Gen 1 and introduced its own history and heritage. It felt like a true sequel to RBY.
Gen 3 was advancement into new territory, switching up gameplay with stuff like natures, double battles, etc. It also started the trend of the villains posing more of a threat to the world around them.
Gen 4 was a refinement of what came before. Better music, better graphics, more things to do on the side, higher stakes with the villains, etc., it ramped up previous elements into a unique experience.
Gen 5 was without a doubt the most mature of the games. While there are indeed graphics advancements that make it play really smoothly and make the whole thing look good to the eyes and sound good to the ears, it was the more developed narrative that drew me into these games.

I don't know what to make of Gen 6 yet, obviously; I'm only an hour or so in. But I'm already seeing many new advancements that I really like, and I look forward to what it has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom