• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Princess Ruto DEAD??!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maloandtalo

It would seem she is since in twilight princess ganon kills the sage of water...o_O

Mikenike

Thanks, Mike
You mean the zora boys mother? Yes, that is ruto, and the sages do not live forever, they become spirits in the end of OOT, at the credits it shows them flying across the sky. So ruto is not "dead" techniaclly just in spirit form.

D

Dirty Link

i thoguht all of the sages died before link defeated the boss and thats partly how they became sages.
Darunia at the start of the fire temple walks in to fight the fire dragon (forgot her name) and presumably loses or there would be no boss fight. The same thing happens in the shadow temple. Also sheik does warn link that a "forest girl" is in trouble this presumably is saria and she very well could have died. Based off of this i just assumed Ruto and Nabooru died and became sages as well.

Zarom

The King
No. The Sage of Water in TP is not Ruto. Because TP happens on the child timeline, thus, all the people in OOT never became sages. We all know that on the child timeline, after defeating Ganon, Zelda takes Link back to his childood, so all that happened when he was aldult aren't there anymore. The Sage of Water in TP is just another person who probably was the Sage of Water before Ruto became it, after killing the monster (Morpha) in the Water Temple.

No, she wasn't killed by Ganondorf's hand, and I seriously doubt she was the Zora Queen that died off-screen either. No, my guess would be that's she's just like all the other characters of OoT, just dead. Didn't hundreds of years take place between OoT and TP? Because I don't know of any characters that were in TP that were also in OoT (save for Ganondorf himself). Probably just died from old age or something (Like Niko should've done by the time ST rolled around....).

Junehs

[the.Jumping.Bean] ~
I always thought they were spirits after OOT because of their crystal ball forms at credits. And I agree with Dirty Link, it does make sense that they die. Haven't you wonder what happen to them? Saria was in trouble, Darunia went in and tried defeat the dragon, and it is obvious he got killed. Ruto probably "died" trying to defeat the boss and so forth, and Nabooru probably got killed in wherever she went.

IMO I always thought they were all long dead because OOT is in a spilt timeline hundred years after TP.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
My thoughts:

The Sage of Water in TP is *probably* not Ruto. There is the possiblity that it's Ruto in some sort of newly-awakened weird spirit form, but I really do think they are entirely different sages. It all depends upon what sort of Timeline uou subscribe to and I try to stay out of Timeline arguements. (I'll use whatever works for any given fan fiction plot that comes to my mind, whee)!

I do think by the time of TP's era that Ruto is dead. I think that somewhere along the way, she became Queen of the Zoras and made little fishsticks with some lucky Zora male, they had a line of descendants and Queen Rutela of TP was named after her ("Rutela" being similar to "Ruto").

In short, I think Ruto is dead, but that she probably didn't die by violent means and likely had a good long life ruling the Zoras.

Mikenike

Thanks, Mike
No. The Sage of Water in TP is not Ruto. Because TP happens on the child timeline, thus, all the people in OOT never became sages. We all know that on the child timeline, after defeating Ganon, Zelda takes Link back to his childood, so all that happened when he was aldult aren't there anymore. The Sage of Water in TP is just another person who probably was the Sage of Water before Ruto became it, after killing the monster (Morpha) in the Water Temple.

Of course it all happened... What would be the point of killing gannon if it wouldn't matter? It is very confusing, but she even called herself rutela in the game. Also read her gravestone. This is either her with a wicked cool sage name or is could possibly be her daughter, because in oot she was getting married to another zora. I kind of stole that from the above post sorry about that, credit to you though. The people in oot definately became sages, remember when they put their hands in the air and turned into the glowing balls? that means they are sages now.

Qwerty0805

Pixelated Sword Member
The people in oot definately became sages, remember when they put their hands in the air and turned into the glowing balls? that means they are sages now.
I don't think you understand what we mean by saying its on the child timeline, here's a detailed explanation.
After you beat Ganon, Link is sent back to the past to relive his childhood that he missed. This creates a split in time, meaning there are two distinct Hyrules. One Hyrule is in the time Ganon is defeated by Link, where the sages like Ruto are awakened. The games in this Hyrule are on the adult timeline. The games that must be on the adult timeline are The Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks .

The other Hyrule takes place in the time Link is sent back to his childhood and does not awaken the sages. Games that take place there are on the child timeline. The games that must be on the child timeline are Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess.

Here's a basic visual explanation of where games are on the timeline.

Adult Timeline: WW/PH-ST
...................../
...............OoT
.....................\
Child Timeline: MM-TP

The games I haven't mentioned are debatable as to which timeline they're on.

If you're still confused, just remember that the sages weren't awakened in Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess.

Last edited:

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master

Yeah in the Child Timeline Ganondorf gets sent to death (which leads him to Zant and the TR) before he even gets around to killing the original sages (except Rauru I think).

Also Zarom, the things Link did in the future weren't erased by going back in time. They were erased by Link telling Zelda of Ganondorf's plans to trick them and then the CT occurs.

I still believe Ruto was long dead by the time TP rolled around because as we all know TP and OoT have hundreds of years between them. And yeah you are right that he killed the original Sage of Water.

No, she wasn't killed by Ganondorf's hand, and I seriously doubt she was the Zora Queen that died off-screen either. No, my guess would be that's she's just like all the other characters of OoT, just dead. Didn't hundreds of years take place between OoT and TP? Because I don't know of any characters that were in TP that were also in OoT (save for Ganondorf himself). Probably just died from old age or something (Like Niko should've done by the time ST rolled around....).

Agreed.

I don't believe that the Water Sage in TP was Ruto. I also don't think that Queen Rutela was either. I see two possibilities: either Queen Rutela is Ruto's descendant and Ruto is dead (or at least never appears), or Queen Rutela is Ruto's mother. That's actually been my theory for a long time, prior to thinking that TP takes place hundreds of years after OoT. The reason I thought this was because her husband has no name, he is simply referred to as King Zora, just like in OoT. This might not mean anything, though, and now that I think TP is probably hundreds of years later, the whole theory seems unlikely, although still possible considering I might be wrong about the time gap, and the possibility of Zoras living a long time (which is also unlikely).

You mean the zora boys mother? Yes, that is ruto, and the sages do not live forever, they become spirits in the end of OOT, at the credits it shows them flying across the sky. So ruto is not "dead" techniaclly just in spirit form.
Queen Rutela is not necessarily Ruto. It's possible, but I think it would be a bit odd for them to change the name like that if it was intended to be the same character. As for OoT's ending, yes, it is likely that the sages became spirits. But it's also possible, though doubtful, that the same sequence actually was depicting the sages returning to Hyrule after their duty was done.

i thoguht all of the sages died before link defeated the boss and thats partly how they became sages.
Darunia at the start of the fire temple walks in to fight the fire dragon (forgot her name) and presumably loses or there would be no boss fight. The same thing happens in the shadow temple. Also sheik does warn link that a "forest girl" is in trouble this presumably is saria and she very well could have died. Based off of this i just assumed Ruto and Nabooru died and became sages as well.
I've heard that theory before. While it's possible, I never believed it personally. It never shows nor mentions them specifically dying. In other games in the series and other dungeons besides the temples in OoT, when a character confronts the boss, they're generally held prisoner, so I assumed this to be the same for the sages in OoT.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure (although I'm not 100% certain) that in the Spirit Temple Koume and Kotake specifically state that they are going to take Nabooru alive. Even if I am wrong, Zelda was on who was clearly still alive, and she was a sage. She was the "leader" of the sages, but still.

Yes, this is probably true. As Shadsie said, though, it's still possible that it could be Ruto. The sages in TP were obviously weird spirits, so the appearance isn't applicable to the argument. As for the timeline, well... just because Ganondorf didn't kill the previous sages in the Child Timeline doesn't mean they weren't still succeeded by the sages from OoT. Hell, maybe Ganondorf never killed those sages at all and they died of old age. Point is, they didn't become sages because Link saved them, they did because they were the next sages. They only needed rescuing so they could fulfill their purpose. So it is possible.

It's still very probable that they aren't the same, but I just wanted to bring up the possibility.

Yeah, it is probably hundreds of years after OoT. It's not proven with absolute certainty, but it's pretty likely and it's what I believe.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Actually there is proof that TP takes place years after OoT. If you go to the fishing place and look at the pictures on the wall in TP, there's a familiar face up there that the owner claims existed in an era long ago. It's the fishermen whose place in OoT Link used to fish at. I remember because after looking at that picture, I looked at her and realized that she moves exactly like he did in OoT.( The whole scratching the back thing.) She thinks she could be related to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom