• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is OOT overrated?

Is OOT overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
Prior to getting OoT, I thought that everything about it would be better than every game I played before. When I got the game, though I thought it was a very fun and challenging game, I didn't think it deserved the amount of attention it gets today. I think that the reason people like the game so much is because it was the first zelda they've ever played. Many people seem to criticize Twilight Princess, my favorite zelda game, because it used midis rather than orchestrated pieces and has Wii graphics that are compared to the gamecube. It feels to me that people judge a game too much by its graphics and like OoT more because its graphics were good for its time. I seem to like the NES zelda and Adventure of Link in addition to TP more than OoT, but that's only my opinion.

Last edited:
Let me say this again, OOT is overrated in story and in gameplay.

For story OOT is good but falls short at how much story action there is present. Of course this is Nintendo following their “Gameplay before story” rule. OOT has many plot twists present but they lose a lot of their affect after you play the second time or play Twilight Princess or Alttp. Now, why I mention Twilight Princess is also why I think OOT falls short of Majora’s Mask. The problem is that OOT loses it’s charm when extras come around to take it’s place, that’s also why Alttp lost charm in it’s story because of how many remakes came, then came TP with the near exact same story as Alttp and OOT which causes the whole idea of the story to lose some heart. However, certain things in OOT are still memorable because of how they haven’t been done yet. For example: Darunia’s Dancing will always make me laugh, Bongo Bongo breaking out of the well is an awesome scene because no other Zelda did it. There are plenty of things in OOT that stand out to keep them fresh, however the story itself is tiring to see over and over.

You keep mentioning that Ocarina of Time lost everything after an individual plays through it the first time. Personally, I see this as a weak argument. The "Wow" factor that games give you is never going to last a second time. You said the plot twists were very good. Of course they aren't going to be a surprising the second time around. That's how all games are made, to present you with a plot that will amaze you the first time, and to present game play that'll keep bringing you back for more. The point that Ocarina of Time provided more "Wow!'s" with its plot twists is a sign of very good development on Nintendo's part. Ocarina of Time was very loosely based on A Link to the Past, and you can't tell me that if you played A Link to the Past before Ocarina of Time, you were reminded of A Link to the Past the entire time you were playing through Ocarina. There are several very key differences, which again, sets Ocarina of time up for a fresh new experience. I do agree that Twilight Princess was based much more heavily around Ocarina, and therefor, the story did seem a wee bit worn, but that's not the topic here, and can be saved for another day.

Majora’s Mask is a game I like because of how original it was when it came to story. Link is looking for Navi (in the CT) after he had defeated Ganondorf and gets robbed of his horse and Ocarina by a thieving Skull Kid. When he catches up to the Skull Kid he is then transformed into a Deku Scrub in which he once again chases after Skull Kid. He then finds that he must save the world within the limit of three days before a moon crashes and kills everyone. You catch up to Skull Kid by the third day and you get your Ocarina back and turn back the clock at the same time. Now after you are back to normal you are free to save the world to your full potential and help everyone, before it all disappears.
I shall give an example to Majora’s uniqueness.

I would be a fool to say that Majora's Mask didn't introduce a completely new story to the Zelda universe. However, just because a story is different, doesn't mean it's always better. If this was the case, why do some prefer the Wind Waker's story to Majora's Mask's? Majora's Mask, to an extent, had an even more different story than did Wind Waker. By this way of thinking, a new story does not always mean that it's preferred. Majora's Mask's story was very fresh, so why do some like Wind Waker's better, even if it wasn't as fresh? The answer is simple: Fresh storyline is not always the better story line. Games like Wind Waker can come along with a not-as-fresh story, and yet walk away as certain people's favorite. The same applies to Ocarina of Time. Majora's fresh story line does not always beat Ocarina's time travel storyline.

The first place you go is the Deku swamp which has lost it’s deity and thus the poison has taken over. The Deku princess has gone missing and the king is ready to kill anyone to save her. It seems like this is the end of the Deku kingdom as now they have no home and will surely die slowly and surely if they stay, and they have nowhere to go. It would seem Majora has chosen to slowly destroy the Deku’s before she would destroy them completely. It’s something like that that makes Majora one of the most unique villains and how she adds to the story. She is like a child who takes enjoyment in the deaths of everyone and doesn’t show much concern for who she kills and harms.

Moving on to the topic of the villan, I see. Majora can be classified, in many cases, as a much more cruel and sinister villain than Ganondorf, but this does not necessarily make Majora better. To continue, you make the point that Majora added to the story unlike other villains. I tend to disagree. Ganondorf played a very important role in Ocarina of Time, and he displayed acts of evil that, although not as twisted as Majora's, showed his true cruelty. Preparing to feed the gorons to Volvalgia, freezing the zoras in their own domain, and literally destroying Castle Town are some key acts, and along with this, he contributed to the storyline just as much as Majora did. Finding out his story in Gerudo Fortress is what really got me thinking about how much he actually had to do with the story line. All the way from knocking Link down at the beginning, calling forth his own evil phantom, losing the respect of his own people, and ultimately "underestimating" the power of the Triforce of Courage that Link possesses. He did, in fact, contribute greatly.

Ganondorf seems to be a villain who enjoys power and seems to keep his peons alive for his use. He also seems to have a care for life by keeping his people (Gerudo’s) alive. This gives him a side of kindness within him, especially in Wind Waker when he says that all he did was for his kingdom’s benefit. He also doesn’t seem to have a horrible regime as a king; while he rules his people with an iron fist he doesn’t seem to harm their ways of living unless they go against him and refuse to fall before him. Majora has no concern for life and rather enjoys killing them. However Majora just doesn’t kill them, she breaks their minds and hope before ending it all.

Let me make it clear that when discussing Ocarina of Time, you shouldn't bring up more plot that came along in Wind Waker. We're just discussing about Ocarina of Time with no strings attached. And my response to this paragraph can mostly be seen above. Of course, I fail to see how an eviler villain contributes to a game's plot being better. In fact, Majora's mindless killing took AWAY from the plot, because it gave up the elements of manipulation and deceiving that Ganondorf had in Ocarina of Time. This overall makes Ganondorf a deeper villain, providing for more and better plot, which is what this whole part of the discussion is about.

There are also plot twists in OOT that can be overshadowed by other games. The time travel twist is something that is more like a cool addition and makes you feel like “Oh yea, now we are getting somewhere“, but it’s a plot twist that gets you once because of how limited the surprise is. Let’s compare this to say, the biggest plot twist in Zelda History: Link’s Awakening.
You find yourself as Link who is on an idle quest to wake the guardian deity from his slumber so you can escape the island of Koholint. Nothing seems to get anywhere and you enjoy your time on the island. However, when on your quest you reach the Southern Face Shrine you find a most shocking discovery:
TO THE FINDER…
KOHOLINT ISLAND IS BUT AN ILLUSION…
HUMAN, MONSTER, SEA, SKY…
A SCENE ON THE LID OF THE SLEEPER’S EYE…
AWAKE THE DREAMER AND KOHOLINT WILL VANISH
LIKE A BUBBLE ON A NEEDLE…
CAST-AWAY YOU SHOULD KNOW THE TRUTH!

This is where the game is still shocking, you find that this island is all a lie which you must now destroy. This is no save the world quest, this is a genocide. This kind of plot twist gets you every time because of how it’s not just an upgrade to the story, it’s a bloody conflict of morals! Although the end it reveals that the island’s memory is the real story.

Of course, I can add that this was the game's one and only plot twist, and that it made most gamers angry in stead of shocked and surprised. After all, it's the freaking last minute of the game. I also fail to see how this is considered the biggest plot twist in Zelda history. As I said, many were just downright upset that Nintendo used the "It's only a dream" excuse that's been recycled over an over. One example is the Mickey's Magical Quest game. It ended the same exact way, a dream, so should it be considered to have a better plot twist than all Zelda games? Of course not, becuae it's a constantly reused concept. At least Ocarina of Time's ending was new and fresh.

I agree that Time Travel adds to the story by giving different prospective and adds to character development. You find that your friends have become sages, however the first time or second time it can be kind of predictable after Darunia, because you expect the sages to be someone you knew from your childhood. OOT didn’t really focus much on the idea of sages though to much other than brief little pieces of dialogue which makes the characters less 3rd dimension. Nabooru was a really good idea to have as a sage and become a minion of Twinrova, it was a really good piece of plot twisting and worked well. The Zelda/Sheik thing was probably the second greatest twist in Zelda ever and I must say that every time Sheik is revealed as a dudette and not a dude I get surprised.

Yes, it does get predictable after Darunia, but the shock of finding out about Saria is something that first time players of Ocarina of Time remember very well. You mention brief pieces of dialogue, but you forget that that's the whole plot of every Zelda game. Brief pieces of dialogue that you get throughout the game, which feeds bits about the main storyline. There isn't much more to argue about this paragraph, because we agree on almost everything in this part.

Another thing that time travel had that was used was the changes that would be made because of time. The thing is that Majora also had the same thing, everything changed because of time and would also go to normal poison because of a repeat in time. The thing that also influenced by time travel is who you can save. Even if you beat the game, you didn’t save everyone and they must go on like that.

Yes, of course, but this didn't influence the main story line near as much as the time traveling plot element did in Ocarina of Time. While Majora's is just a few days, Ocarina of Time's is a massive seven years, which leads to much more drawn out consequences and more of an ultimatum feeling.

Now, on the gameplay front I shall have to compare it to it’s closest counterpart which is Majora. Now OOT had revolutionized Zelda when it brought the gameplay to 3D. However, the problem is that OOT was not finished (if you think of what Ura Zelda was to be then OOT was incomplete.) OOT lacked in item usage and felt redundant whenever you were forced to never use an item when you were on a certain timeline where as in Majora’s Mask, all the items Adult Link could use was accessible by young Link. There was also the removal of items that could have been used if it had been finished which added to the stale factor.
There was also the dungeon design between it and it's counterpart. The dungeons themselves were small and lacked feasable puzzles in OOT. In Majora, the dungeons had been designed to challenge your mind and your reflexes even though there were fewer. The dungeons teased you with direct puzzles in MM and your skills of memory and common sense were put to the test. In OOT, it was very straightforward.

I disagree completely. Ocarina of Time's dungeons walked the very fine line of challenging and fun, while Majora's Mask's went to flat out difficulty and frustration. You stated talking about lack of usage of items in Ocarina, which I think is completely false. If anything, Ganon's Tower was the ultimate test of how much you actually mastered your items throughout the game, and Majora's Mask presented no such opportunity. I also find it strange that you think Ocarina's Dungeons felt incomplete. Some of the dungeons were super massive, with plenty of floors and rooms that provided much more fun than did Majora's measly few. Another point, about Ocarina being straightforward. That might be the case with the first three dungeons (Majora's Mask throws you into difficulty the first chance it gets), but when you start to enter the temples for the first time, you'll find that the dungeon's aren't quite as easy. Note that I said first time. Dungeon's aren't made to challenge you every time you play, because that would turn the replay value way down. And with items being limited to Adult or Child Link, that's the beauty of it. You get a complete different arsenal of items every time you switch, which worked out perfectly for say, the Spirit Temple.

Now let me get to the over world and the levels designed around the dungeons. Often it feels like as if it’s all empty and not there, it just screams that there needs to be more, but there wasn’t. Majora felt finished and that you grabbed everything it could pull at you when it came to design, of course Majora was better since it had that expansion pack. In truth, OOT lacks a lot unless it had been given another year or perhaps that Ura Zelda was finished.

I feel that when people think of "over world" in Ocarina, they immediately think of Hyrule Field which was basically empty. But, they forget about the other places, such as Kokiri Forest, Death Mountain, Zora's Domain, Lake Hylia, and Gerudo Desert, all which were packed full of things to do, and were much more interesting that the places that Majora's Mask had to offer.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
You keep mentioning that Ocarina of Time lost everything after an individual plays through it the first time. Personally, I see this as a weak argument. The "Wow" factor that games give you is never going to last a second time. You said the plot twists were very good. Of course they aren't going to be a surprising the second time around. That's how all games are made, to present you with a plot that will amaze you the first time, and to present game play that'll keep bringing you back for more. The point that Ocarina of Time provided more "Wow!'s" with its plot twists is a sign of very good development on Nintendo's part. Ocarina of Time was very loosely based on A Link to the Past, and you can't tell me that if you played A Link to the Past before Ocarina of Time, you were reminded of A Link to the Past the entire time you were playing through Ocarina. There are several very key differences, which again, sets Ocarina of time up for a fresh new experience. I do agree that Twilight Princess was based much more heavily around Ocarina, and therefor, the story did seem a wee bit worn, but that's not the topic here, and can be saved for another day.

Ocarina rehashed the sage concept of Alttp that hadn't been featured before. It also had brought out the existence of two worlds and the Sacred Realm which had been introduced in Alttp. It's very difficult to add to this argument because of a lack of story in Alttp. Alttp had the same concept as OOT and in truth was expanded in OOT instead of it being so much another game.
The plot twists introduced in OOT aren't of that many to wow you into playing again though, what people played in OOT was rather the gameplay which they found good. If OOT was a movie it would be shot down in comparison to say, a Majora's Mask or Link's Awakening movie. The reason is that plot twists must also be able to leave an effect on you, however in OOT the plot twists were nothing more than "SURPRISE. SOMETHING DIFFERENT HAPPENED!"

I would be a fool to say that Majora's Mask didn't introduce a completely new story to the Zelda universe. However, just because a story is different, doesn't mean it's always better. If this was the case, why do some prefer the Wind Waker's story to Majora's Mask's? Majora's Mask, to an extent, had an even more different story than did Wind Waker. By this way of thinking, a new story does not always mean that it's preferred. Majora's Mask's story was very fresh, so why do some like Wind Waker's better, even if it wasn't as fresh? The answer is simple: Fresh storyline is not always the better story line. Games like Wind Waker can come along with a not-as-fresh story, and yet walk away as certain people's favorite. The same applies to Ocarina of Time. Majora's fresh story line does not always beat Ocarina's time travel storyline.

The thing is that Majora has a story that branches out to many different individual fronts which allows for a broader look on stories. OOT was a straightforward zoom that was good for that. However, Majora made you think on what was happening and who you effected because of how you couldn't help everyone. There was also the different feelings given off from the normal Zelda formula which gave Majora's story a good plus from the majority of the fans.
In actuality, most people liked Wind Waker because it wasn't a simple carbon copy of OOT or Alttp. In truth it was a real game with pretty good character development. It had many moments in the game that made you awe because they were that good. The game was sort of like what "Lilo and Stitch" was for Disney. It was bunked on the original ideas and while being different it was like a throwback to the old style.

Moving on to the topic of the villan, I see. Majora can be classified, in many cases, as a much more cruel and sinister villain than Ganondorf, but this does not necessarily make Majora better. To continue, you make the point that Majora added to the story unlike other villains. I tend to disagree. Ganondorf played a very important role in Ocarina of Time, and he displayed acts of evil that, although not as twisted as Majora's, showed his true cruelty. Preparing to feed the gorons to Volvalgia, freezing the zoras in their own domain, and literally destroying Castle Town are some key acts, and along with this, he contributed to the storyline just as much as Majora did. Finding out his story in Gerudo Fortress is what really got me thinking about how much he actually had to do with the story line. All the way from knocking Link down at the beginning, calling forth his own evil phantom, losing the respect of his own people, and ultimately "underestimating" the power of the Triforce of Courage that Link possesses. He did, in fact, contribute greatly.

Majora added her role by indirectly having a point in the plot. She contributes many things using symbolism rather than spoken words. This adds mystery to the character rather than the monster. She changes many of the things featured in characters lives and made sure to hit it where they hurt.
Ganondorf only broke those who challenged his reign, that would be the Gorons and Zoras. If you look at towns such as Kakarico, you'll see how he leaves most of these people alone because of how they don't bother him. Also, the Hyrule Castle Town situation was probably his first invasion of the place in which he leveled it. It's more than obvious that he just did what every conquerer does to a kingdom's main city.
He did not really lose his people's respect aside from Nabooru though until the end. (Some of them still called him "The Great Ganondorf.")

Let me make it clear that when discussing Ocarina of Time, you shouldn't bring up more plot that came along in Wind Waker. We're just discussing about Ocarina of Time with no strings attached. And my response to this paragraph can mostly be seen above. Of course, I fail to see how an eviler villain contributes to a game's plot being better. In fact, Majora's mindless killing took AWAY from the plot, because it gave up the elements of manipulation and deceiving that Ganondorf had in Ocarina of Time. This overall makes Ganondorf a deeper villain, providing for more and better plot, which is what this whole part of the discussion is about.

Majora never mindlessly killed people, she tortured them to the brink of their core. She is no serial killer, she may enjoy killing people but she likes to see them squirm. She enjoys everything because of how she is a child and doesn't understand the consequences of her actions.
Ganondorf manipulated in one really surprising way in OOT. When he got the Triforce for himself, you did not expect that. His coup de tate of Hyrule was obvious, the Nabooru thing was Twinrova's doing.

Of course, I can add that this was the game's one and only plot twist, and that it made most gamers angry in stead of shocked and surprised. After all, it's the freaking last minute of the game. I also fail to see how this is considered the biggest plot twist in Zelda history. As I said, many were just downright upset that Nintendo used the "It's only a dream" excuse that's been recycled over an over. One example is the Mickey's Magical Quest game. It ended the same exact way, a dream, so should it be considered to have a better plot twist than all Zelda games? Of course not, becuae it's a constantly reused concept. At least Ocarina of Time's ending was new and fresh.

But the thing is that you are questioning yourself in LA. In the other games that normally said it was all a dream, it's just a silly way to say "This never happened my friend. This was a what if story." However LA was meant to see what you thought of killing off people of a dream whom you attached to. A child usually follows the concept of "Heros always win without losing." What if that concept was just shattered by morals of "Why, do I have to kill all these nice people. I'm supposed to save them..." Each boss begs you to stop your quest in order to protect the people of the world. No other game had done that yet.
OOT's ending of going back to a life where everything had never happened it was done and reused. OOT was simply put "A Happy Ending" even though Princess Zelda never got to reveal any feelings for Link, the world was saved without hope dieing.

Yes, it does get predictable after Darunia, but the shock of finding out about Saria is something that first time players of Ocarina of Time remember very well. You mention brief pieces of dialogue, but you forget that that's the whole plot of every Zelda game. Brief pieces of dialogue that you get throughout the game, which feeds bits about the main storyline. There isn't much more to argue about this paragraph, because we agree on almost everything in this part.

Agreed.

Yes, of course, but this didn't influence the main story line near as much as the time traveling plot element did in Ocarina of Time. While Majora's is just a few days, Ocarina of Time's is a massive seven years, which leads to much more drawn out consequences and more of an ultimatum feeling. [/QUOTE]

Yet, in those three days, so much had happened. The land had changed to things that shouldn't have been for how long. Ever since Skull Kid got that mask, and how long did he have it. If Kafei was gone missing for 3 months then that would probably mean that the entire environment was like that for that long.
Even Ganondorf's problems seem small if he managed to only do that. He froze a lake, so Majora poisoned an entire ocean. He was going to have the Gorons immediatly killed without much torture, in MM the Gorons were going to slowly freeze to death. So a few of his monster's broke into the Kokiri Forest, Majora poisoned a swamp and kidnapped the princess so the King would go mad.
Many things Ganondorf had accomplished in 7 years doesn't make me budge really.

I disagree completely. Ocarina of Time's dungeons walked the very fine line of challenging and fun, while Majora's Mask's went to flat out difficulty and frustration. You stated talking about lack of usage of items in Ocarina, which I think is completely false. If anything, Ganon's Tower was the ultimate test of how much you actually mastered your items throughout the game, and Majora's Mask presented no such opportunity. I also find it strange that you think Ocarina's Dungeons felt incomplete. Some of the dungeons were super massive, with plenty of floors and rooms that provided much more fun than did Majora's measly few. Another point, about Ocarina being straightforward. That might be the case with the first three dungeons (Majora's Mask throws you into difficulty the first chance it gets), but when you start to enter the temples for the first time, you'll find that the dungeon's aren't quite as easy. Note that I said first time. Dungeon's aren't made to challenge you every time you play, because that would turn the replay value way down. And with items being limited to Adult or Child Link, that's the beauty of it. You get a complete different arsenal of items every time you switch, which worked out perfectly for say, the Spirit Temple.

A lot of the rooms in OOT dungeons had almost nothing to do in them except a puzzle that usually consisted of timing or rushing the clock. I also never had trouble with the dungeons in OOT my first time because of how simple they were (except for that bloody water temple.)
Majora brought difficulty out of theses dungeons because it was a sequel. The developers of Ocarina knew that they had to challenge players of OOT with something harder than the original. The game was also adding replay value by having that difficulty, if the player managed to get used to it then they would adapt and grow better.
Now on that last part I really agree with you, I wish that the Spirit Tempe concept had been used for all Adult temples in order to make the game feel more complete.
Another thing is that you could consider the Moon as the Ganon's Tower of MM because of how it challenged your skill with the Masks that you used.

I feel that when people think of "over world" in Ocarina, they immediately think of Hyrule Field which was basically empty. But, they forget about the other places, such as Kokiri Forest, Death Mountain, Zora's Domain, Lake Hylia, and Gerudo Desert, all which were packed full of things to do, and were much more interesting that the places that Majora's Mask had to offer.

Great Bay, Southern Swamp, Termina Field, Clock Town, Ikana Graveyard, Ikana Canyon, Snowpeak, and Romani Ranch. Each of these places had things like minigames, rupees to collect, sidequests to participate in, story to add, characters to meet. They had more in them than Ocarina ever did, and Majora's Mask is longer if you try to complete the game at 100%

Then again this is all opinionated so I'll just shake you hand and be on my way.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I think it's overrated and yet it's my favourite Zelda game. Does that even make sense?
Basically, (personally) I think it's a great game, just not as good as people make it out to be. Many people seem to judge how good the new games are by comparing it to OoT.
I don't agree with that, but that's a different topic.
Anyway, while I still do like to play it, it's not as fun as it used to be. I guess playing it over and over again takes it's toll with me and my games. This is more of how I think the game should be rated. Not by 'it's the first 3D Zelda' like some people do. Even 'It was good for it's time' isn't the greatest arguement. Yes, perhaps it was, but who knows what the games will be like in the future. Maybe even in 5 years, OoT won't seem so great next to the new games. Games do get old eventually. Then again, it still may have a spark that people love (I mean, SMB3 is still my favourite Mario game).

So, I may have gotten off the topic a little bit, but my point is that people should only like the game based off of it's entertainment value and not on something like, 'OMG 3D!' This is my reasoning behind why I think the game is overrated.

Kybyrian

I don't think the game is overrated at all. There are some people out there who are thinking it is overrated because they have a different opinion on the best game ever, and since so many people think this is the best game ever and they don't, those people think that is overrated. Don't get me wrong, some people probably do favor this game over others and still think it is overrated, but not very many people. I think the game is a rather great game, with great puzzles, and a great storyline. It is my all time favorite game, and it has remained so for many years, and it will be hard to beat in my opinion. The game has been way up there for a very long time, and not because people favorite it because so many people like it. It had to have a starting point. If there weren't a lot of people out there who already thought that it was the greatest game from the beginning it wouldn't have started it's trek to the best video game ever, and what many people are beginning to call 'overrated' simply because it is ranked so high in the charts.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Hmm, just defending OoT here:

I wonder if a time-travel plot could have been played out any better.

OoA did a fine job with time travel. Sure, it wasn't 3D, but it still was based solely on time travel. It had the same basic idea; you can only travel between 2 times at a certain point (portals) and when you do in the past will affect the future. The only difference is that in OoA, future people were kidnapped and taken to the past. That doesn't happen in OoT. If OoA was made into a 3D game, I think it would have been better than OoT.

Also, MM had time travel in it. Do as much as you can in the time given and if you can't, travel back to the first day and start over from where you left off. I believe that MM is a much better game than OoT. It has a deeper story, it is darker and the villain is much more ruthless. Had it been the first game with OoT being second, this thread would be about MM being overrated and my argument would only be backwards in that respect. It's only because OoT was first that it's so praised. Being made first doesn't make it the best. LoZ anyone?

Kybyrian

OoA did a fine job with time travel. Sure, it wasn't 3D, but it still was based solely on time travel. It had the same basic idea; you can only travel between 2 times at a certain point (portals) and when you do in the past will affect the future. The only difference is that in OoA, future people were kidnapped and taken to the past. That doesn't happen in OoT. If OoA was made into a 3D game, I think it would have been better than OoT.

Also, MM had time travel in it. Do as much as you can in the time given and if you can't, travel back to the first day and start over from where you left off. I believe that MM is a much better game than OoT. It has a deeper story, it is darker and the villain is much more ruthless. Had it been the first game with OoT being second, this thread would be about MM being overrated and my argument would only be backwards in that respect. It's only because OoT was first that it's so praised. Being made first doesn't make it the best. LoZ anyone?

OoA did have more of the time travel aspect in it and had a bigger role than OoT, but that doesn't mean if made into a 3D game it would be better solely because it had a great Time Travel plot to it. OoA is my second-favorite Zelda game, after all.

Also, Majora's Mask's time travel seemed a little less obvious, like you weren't even doing it, and didn't really effect the game all that much, and wasn't really part of the main thing to it, besides making it more challenging and giving that sense of doom.

In regards to your statement about Majora's Mask coming first and Ocarina of Time coming second, I don't think it would be the other way around, but I may be wrong. I never liked Majora's Mask, and it certainly wouldn't have changed anything for me. A lot of people already say that they like Majora's Mask more than Ocarina of Time, so who really cares? I don't think that OoT coming first had THAT much of an impact on the popularity of the game.

bellum

Gamer since age 2
Yes. I personally don't think it's such a good game, and that it shouldn't be getting as much credit as it is getting. Well, it was such a good game, but why do so many people favorite this game. It isn't really one of my favorite games anyway. Yes, I think it is very overrated.

I seriously doubt it. A transition from 2D to 3D changes games in unimaginable ways, and you can't be sure of anything. Besides, you're mentioning a plot that is completely different, and completely susceptible to opinion. OoT did a great job of showing you what your actions in the past did to the future, which is so much more different than OoA's that your point hardly seems relevant in the slightest way imaginable. Plus, I don't care if it was the same idea. Being in 3D, OoT could use time travel plot elements better. Sorry, that's just the way it is, and OoA is not 3D.

lol, you're making me laugh. Did you even attempt to read the posts that ChargewithSword an I made? We cover all the points you mention, and in much MUCH better detail. Try reading before you post okay? Because I hate having to repeat myself. Like Kybyrian said, MM didn't provide near as much ultimatum feeling when it came to time travel as OoT did, and the villain's mindless killing trait only sacrificed more plot elements that Ganondorf had, such as deception and puppet-playing. But, like I said, I'm just repeating myself again. Read my posts on the last page and this one to get my full take on this.

Bringing up LoZ-isn't-the-best-and-it's-first? Again, read my other posts, and you'll see you're far too late in bringing up subjects I haven't already discussed.

A

Avia Rayne

Personally, I'm on the fence with this one. I've played OoT so many times that I know the game inside out (all the heart pieces, gold skulltulas, etc.) but it does feel like it's just a bit overrated.

Not because it was a sucky game getting a lot of hipe or anything like that, but I do know people that have played that and refuse to play other Zeldas to see how they are like, just because "they cannot be as good as OoT." In that sense, it's overrated. If it's your first Zelda game, I can see you loving it for that. And I loved it when it came out on the 64 back in the day! But over time, as more unique Zeldas came out I grew distant from OoT and that's probably a reason why I find it a bit overrated.

Quite honestly, I don't think Majora's Mask gets as much credit as it should.

zzRICHzz

own & finished all Zeldas
Zedla OoT, NO it is not overrated. this truly is my favorite game

yes, because it was my first Zelda game
yes, because it is the first 3D Zelda
yes, because its graphics were better than others before it
yes, because of the story
yes, because of its music
yes, because in many ways, it had with it a lot of first time things that "set the bar" for future Zeldas and other games

i also enjoy WW, Alttp, and MM. i had more, yes more fun, than i did with OoT, but OoT is still my favorite because of my above reasons... if it wasn't for this game i wouldn't even be into the series...

yeah there are a lot of things that other Zelda's had that OoT doesn't, which add to story, gameplay, replay value, and just overall fun... but thats only because there not supposed to be the same game... they are supposed to have different and unique elements within them that seperate them from eachother..

so go ahead and talk about all things that another Zelda had that OoT didn't have... and i will agree with you...

but still... OoT is my favorite deserves just as much praise as it has gotten... i just wish other Zeldas, like WW for instance, had more of a chance... way too underated WW was awesome... go play it.

D

derekoftime

What made Ocarina of Time so great was how revolutionary it was. That can be taken for granted today, but back then, OoT was every Zelda fan's wet dream come to life. Nintendo seems to think that making an OoT clone (*cough*Twilight Princess*cough*) they'll get the same success. But that's not what it's about; it's about how groundbreaking it was. Make another groundbreaking Zelda game, not another OoT.

And no, I don't think it's overrated. I still have fun playing it to this day. It was considered one of the greatest games of all time back then, and I think it's still that good.

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
I think that people think of the game as overrated due to reviewers always comparing the game to new zelda titles. I don't agree with the comparisons and I also think people would think it was more deserving of its ratings if it wasn't compared all the time.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Yes. I do think that Ocarina of Time is overrated. But 'overrated' is not synonymous with 'bad'. OoT was a very good game, especially for its time. But is it the best Zelda game that the media makes it out to be? Hardly.

I think one major flaw is that it started out as a remake of A Link to the Past. Obviously, it took a different course and became a prequel to the games, but it still played on figures from ALttP. Because of this, we got things we already had, like Seven Sages (Wisemen) and 3 Pendents.

But is that a bad thing? No, not really. It allowed them to give us more background into who the seven sages were, which led us to information about Ganon's sealing, we found out there was a war prior to OoT, etc. etc.

I like to compare OoT to FF7 (which, btw, was originally intended for SNES, then N64). Both became popular mostly due to the fact that, above all else, they were 3D and many people's "first". It'd have been nice if they'd given us a little more to see, finally reaching 3D and all. Many area, Hyrule Field especially, were vast but quite empty save for a peahat or poe here and there. The dungeons were designed nicely, but they lacked any real difficulty.

There were some moments that really WOWED players. Sheik revealing his identity, watching The Great Deku Tree die, seeing the world in a destroyed state, and even seeing NPCs grow up were really special. But it lacked any lingering "wowage" for lack of a better term:
*** In LA, you find out that it's all a dream. And then there's philosophical discussions to be had.
*** In ALttP, you finally obtain the Triforce in its entirety, and the wish made is a perfect reflection of Link's good heart.
And those are only a couple examples.

We did get characters with personality, and what was great about that is that MM's characters, the parallels, were created to let us better know the characters of OoT. So really, we do get to better know the NPCs of OoT through its direct sequel. There were also emotional moments that really hadn't been touched that deeply. In ALttP, Link watches his uncle die before his own eyes. In LA, Link builds a relationship with Marin, only to have it stripped from him in the end. But OoT offered multiple emotional scenes:
*** GDT, Link's father figure, dying despite Link's efforts to save him.
*** Navi, his beloved friend, leaving him at the end of their journey.
*** Saria's sad but understanding gaze as Link leaves Kokiri Forest.
*** Malon put to work under the cruel Ingo.
*** Nabooru revealed as Iron Knuckle armor falls off of her.
*** Sky scene where Link and Zelda have their goodbye.
Are these enough, though? They were emotional at the time, but they didn't linger. Instead of one or two deeply emotional moments, we were given several less emotional moments.

The music was good- great even. But fantastic? Only a couple pieces, such as Gerudo Valley and Saria's Song. It didn't quite compete with the Series Overworld, the AoL Overworld, ALttP's OST, or even The Ballad of the Wind Fish. Other games have made much bigger impact, like MM with the Ballad remixed into The New Wave Bossa Nova, TWW's sailing music and introduction piece, and TP's Don't Want You No More.

Yes, Ocarina of Time was good and it did give us the birth of the timeline as well as gameplay tactics and so on and so forth. But those only make a game good, they don't make a game the best. The game is deserving of praise, no doubt about it, but it's not as incredible as it's made out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom