• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is It True There is NO Controls Using the IR Sensor?

Bill Trinen and others have said this. I've never played Wii Sports Resort so maybe that game has the same type of controls where you're not forced to point at the screen? Idk why, but it seems like it could end up being LESS accurate if the sensor bar isn't used. Maybe the accelerometer and gyro-sensor really are that useful.

Nickster

Sensei Sampai Sama
It uses motion plus for a big reason, but I'm afraid I cannot answer your question. From what I have heard though, there will be no inferred usage.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
You will end up needing to point right at what you desire to aim at with the bow, beetle, slingshot, etc, and swing whichever way is needed when wielding the sword. This probably requires positioning the motion sensor bar in just the right place so that the laser doesn't go ballistic and aiming in the perfect spot for the desired target. This is the best way I can answer your question.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Isn't that what the game is mainly focused on?
Or am I mistaken here?

Aiming (for slingshot, bow and clawshot) will be based on motion+ (and not infrared) as well (Miyamoto mentioned it several times), so you don't have to aim directly to the screen, and so you won't EVER lost the crosshair because you pointed out of the screen. It works more like a 3D mouse.

But I can't guarantee that the game won't use infrared at any given point.

Its unknown right now whether the game will use infrared for anything, but so far, everything we have seen of the game uses MotionPlus. If even the pointer for the bow and slingshot use MotionPlus, I find it hard to think of anything that would still use infrared.
Will anything in the game use infrared? I don't think we will discover the answer to that question until the game is released, as such a matter is really trivial and new pieces of information before the release would likely not reference this. I think we will have to wait until the final release of the game to find out. It doesn't hurt to speculate though. ;)

Isn't that what the game is mainly focused on?
Or am I mistaken here?
The MotionPlus is the accelerometer and gyroscope, which alloys for the 1:1 motion control. The IR is just the sensor bar emitting infrared light, which is then translated by the Wii remote into the screen position and sent back to the console through bluetooth. The infrared light serves little purpose except for the pointer.

Last edited:
Yes, so far there don't seem to be any items that use the IR pointer.
However, don't worry - Motion Plus is REALLY good at tracking relative motion, so you'll still be able to aim with great accuracy once you set aside your typical IR habits and just let the motion rule you.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Aye, 'tis true that there be no IR controls.

Not that it matters, really. You don't point any of the weapons/items in the game in real life, you hold them up like with WM+. Unless you're really down with the TP style, then you'll just have to adapt.

I'm not worrying about the lack of IR, because I freaking hate how jumpy the crosshairs can be in practically any Wi game I play. I need to hold the remote at a particular angle to aim the bow in TP, for example. No, what I'm worried about is that Motion Plus will not improve on this and instead do the same haywire madness... but I suppose it won't do that if it's not even using the sensor bar.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think the IR sensor will be used for things like the slingshot and the Claw shot for more pinpoint accuracy. You can't aim your gun in RS2 very well if you cover the IR sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom