• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is It Really the Best Zelda Game Ever?

I have lot all hope in "Skyward Sword" ever being the unanimously agreed best Zelda game. Quite a few of these arguments show that the fanboys are not going to let go of OoT because of all the memories they have of it. Time to counter all the points made in OoT's favor.

"The plot is the best out of them all!"
As a pointed out before, OoT has a great plot that only suffers because of several plot holes. WW has a more extensive story. OoT spells things out for you rather early, while WW leaves things vague for a while. WW also has more complexity. OoT can be divided into two seperate arcs, while WW can be split into three or four. There is a lot more going on.
TP has a very similar plot to OoT, but without so many glaring plot holes while filling in some of that game's plot holes. Isn't getting rid of plot holes better than having them? Unlike WW, it only has one or two main arcs, but there are several side stories. Alongside the main plot are several smaller, related plots. This comes off as more realistic and extensive.

"Characters are more memorable in OoT!"
Not true. You remember them because of your history with the game, but there are plenty of people who remember WW characters just as fondly. The characters in OoT were a HUGE step up from the NPCs we saw in previous Zelda games. They seemed a lot more like real people. However, the novelty of the characters wore off fast. There is hardly any point in talking to the 90% of the NPCs. Most have only one interesting thing to say. The main characters and a few side characters are thankfully strong. Mido, Saria, Zelda, Malon, Darunai, and Ruto are all particularly well developed.
How does this stack against WW and TP? Both those games have far more developed characters in general. In both games, the NPCs are going through their own arcs that you can see or completely ignore. Also, props have to go to TP for finally giving us a believable reason why someone else can't save Hyrule. I'm not talking about the Hyrule Guards being absolute cowards, that was incredibly stupid. No, quite a few characters explain why they need you to take care of the problem. Link isn't dealing with all that is going on in Hyrule. Everyone has their own problems to deal with and Link has free reign. Makes sense to ask him to pick up the slack. Not only that, the characters feel incredibly realistic. They go through their own arcs and have a lot more to say than the NPCs of OoT.

"It's harder, so it's better!"
This is rather subjective. The point of a game is to have fun. Challenge is fun, but it correct increments. The difficulty of OoT seems rather lopsided at the end. The last dungeon is far to easy, then we have a tough fight with Ganondorf, and last we have him transform into Ganon and become far to easy. Also some of the difficulty in the last few dungeons is due to annoying moves by developers (such as a dungeon with changing water levels). It's not enough to make you want to chuck the game out the window, but that fact should be put into consideration.
Are WW and TP easier? Sure, but not every gamer wants to play a game permanently on the "Super-Mega-Death-Doom-Challenge" setting. If you think they are to easy, why pick up the stuff that makes the game so easy? Nintendo has to consider gamers in general, and the majority of gamers found the difficulty of OoT frustrating. To say that it's better because of something that annoyed most people is highly apathetic.

Big Octo

=^)
Forlong, I still think you're losing this battle. 425 explained everything in an unbeatable manner. I'm out of this thread, I'm tired of what your saying, and everyone already explained why it's the best. Out.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
OOT is considered the best game of all time. It was perfect in its day and is still enjoyable today.

it was good, but it was no "Link to the Past".
ALTTP never provided the atmosphere of OOT. When OOT came out you could really feel as though you were a hero on an adventure.

Ganon. But that fight was pathetically easy. It was cool to be able to use just about all your equipment in one fight, but the difficulty seemed far to low. "Link to the Past" had a far better final battle, and the final conflicts in "Wind Waker" and "Twilight Princess" are far beyond that.

Seriously!? GANON from OOT...pathetically easy? Let me assure you there was nothing in that game that was pathetically easy. the difficulty was just right in OOT. That final fight with Ganon was truly epic and had great atmosphere.
It's a shame the same can't be said for the WW's final battle with Ganondorf. The game practically plays itself for this battle, zelda does all the work all you need to do is target him, press A now and again and the battle is over. As for Twilight princess The final battle with Ganondorf could have been perfect except you are confined to a boring area of field by the same yellow barriers that you have been seeing all over hyrule castle and his sword attacks deal a measly HALF A HEART! This is the king of evil, the Dark Lord, and he is no challenge at all. Defeating him does not bring the satisfaction of doing the same in OOT.

OOT is not without it's flaws but these are mainly due to modern technological advancements in graphics and gameplay. Twilight princess is better in some ways, better story and graphics and had the potential to be the overall better game, but it was too easy and it did not give it's villain enough depth or back-story.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I honestly didn't care much for the story after Zant was beaten. Ganon's appearance seemed so just "thrown together at the last minute" that it made the final battle for me less fun for me. I still prefer the story in Majora's Mask overall.

I personally don't think it matters if it is the best. Its still great. However, I would like to point out one thing about Twilight Princess (although it is one of my favorites). The beggining seems to take a while and then after you get the master sword, everything feels rushed. This problem in balancing does not happen in Ocarina.

After what 425 has said, it is obvious that it's you're opinion what game is the best. It is pointless to try to search for a way to beat 425's long explanation on how OoT is so good.

I still think Ocarina of Time was the greatest game I've ever played. To me, it's perfect and could never be beaten by any other game for right now. It could be beaten by Skyward Sword, but OoT will always be my favorite.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This does nit mean I'll leave this thread though. I'm still going to defend my opinion...:/
Forlong said:
"Characters are more memorable in OoT!"
Not true. You remember them because of your history with the game, but there are plenty of people who remember WW characters just as fondly. The characters in OoT were a HUGE step up from the NPCs we saw in previous Zelda games. They seemed a lot more like real people. However, the novelty of the characters wore off fast. There is hardly any point in talking to the 90% of the NPCs. Most have only one interesting thing to say. The main characters and a few side characters are thankfully strong. Mido, Saria, Zelda, Malon, Darunai, and Ruto are all particularly well developed.
I played Twilight Princess and the two DS games before I played Ocarina of Time and I like the charatcers much more better. You have to also think about the limitations of the games. There are reasons why the charaters in OoT didn't say as many "interesting things" than in OoT.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Forlong, what you said about OoT's difficulty just made no sense at all. You say it's easy towards the end of the game, but you then cite the Water Temple as being a poor developer's choice, which somehow makes the entire game 'frustrating'. Granted, the Water Temple IS infamous for its design and features, but one small portion of the game cannot, under any circumstances, make the entire game hard. Just wanted to point that out.

Forlong, what you said about OoT's difficulty just made no sense at all. You say it's easy towards the end of the game, but you then cite the Water Temple as being a poor developer's choice, which somehow makes the entire game 'frustrating'. Granted, the Water Temple IS infamous for its design and features, but one small portion of the game cannot, under any circumstances, make the entire game hard. Just wanted to point that out.
What I mean is that many of the difficult parts are just frustrating and that the final dungeon is far too easy. Now, on a personal level, I don't have much of a problem with how hard OoT is; but I have to consider gamers in general. A lot of people just found OoT to be a bit to frustrating. Not enough to want to stop playing, but enough to be an issue that should be kept in mind.

What I mean is that many of the difficult parts are just frustrating and that the final dungeon is far too easy. Now, on a personal level, I don't have much of a problem with how hard OoT is; but I have to consider gamers in general. A lot of people just found OoT to be a bit to frustrating. Not enough to want to stop playing, but enough to be an issue that should be kept in mind.
:lol: It's a Zelda game! It's supposed to be frustrating. It just makes it more rewarding to beat the game. The water temple was so frustrating it almost made me cry. but then when I beat it I felt awesome.

Absolutely not, OoT is an amazing game, but it is by no means the greatest game of all time. Its aged and is outshined by many other games I've played.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It is their opinion whether OoT is the best to them or not. Although, I cannot fathom how anyone found OoT's difficulty to even be 'up there'. The puzzles were pretty simple though not TP/TWW simple, the combat was freeflowing like all other 3D Zeldas or even all Zeldas period so that can't be contributing to the difficulty. The only other factor in OoT's difficulty is getting past Kaepora Gaebora's two options:

Would you like to hear what I said again?
Yes
Yes <---

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It definitely wasn't when I first picked it up around 3 years of age. The only things that were remotely hard were A) Fire & Water Temples and :cool: Ganondorf final boss. Eventually, I just practiced playing against Ganondork and learned that the match is basically a reworked version of Tennis, so he's become a cakewalk ever since I was 5. I only recently 'mastered' the Water Temple, learning the trick of "bottom up". I also have 'mastered' the Master Quest version of the Water Temple assuming I am playing the GC disc. The Fire Temple is fairly straightforward in the original quest, I don't quite remember the rooms of MQ.

Anyway, OoT really is not a hard game. The puzzles make you do a bit of thinking, but it isn't like the puzzles are so hard that you could go brain dead just thinking about the keys to said puzzles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom