• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is It Possible to Have a FAVOURITE Zelda Game?

See, I'm having trouble deciding my favourite Zelda game. It has come to my attention that maybe, only based on specific criteria, can you choose your favourite game in the Zelda series. Things such as overworld, gameplay, characters, story, etc are some examples of specifications you could choose.

For example, I don't have a favourite Zelda game. However, in terms of controls, my favourite game would be Skyward Sword (I know not everyone agrees), because of the near-perfect integration of motion controls. From then on, I can organize how every other game stacks up in that category. Or for setting, I'd pick Wind Waker, because of the unique "giant sea" setting, and then other games form then on.

I just game seem to pick ONE game to be my favourite, and have to sort them this way. Thoughts?

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
There's no law that says you have to have a favorite Zelda game, but there are many who do. How you determine your favorite is up to you, but generally the word "favorite" is associated to which one you Personally liked the most. I think OoT and ALttP are the best Zelda game thus far. I think TP is has done the best job as a sequel game. I think WW had the best "adventure" atmosphere. But my favorite is Majora's Mask. Why? Many reasons, but the main one is nostalgia. It was my first Zelda game and therefore I have more fond memories with it than I do the ones that came after.

As long as you separate "favorite" from "best" it usually isn't too hard to find the answer. It's basically asking yourself "which one do I like more?"

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's definitely possible to have a favorite. My own favorite is Ocarina of Time.

I think a good way to find a favorite and stick with it would be to mesh those criteria together -- there will be pluses and minuses among every single game for sure -- and make an ultimate decision. Or, if not that, you could always go the more personal route and go with what game makes you feel more 'alive'. Whatever game excites you the most while playing it would likely be your favorite! That's how I decided that OoT [and MM] is/are my favorite(s).

Yeah, true, I really don't like when people try to thrust their "best" game down our throats. It's better to just acknowledge it as their favourite.

And I'm Canadian, so throughout the multiple times I used the word "favourite", I guess I spell it different than any of you Americans out there ;)

Kappa

Black Cat Royalty
I'm pretty sure that you can have a favorite. Sure, maybe not everyone has to agree with your favorite, but, as previously stated, favorite more so refers to a personal favorite, as opposed to everyone's favorite. Also as stated above, it gets really freaking annoying when you force your favorite game into someone else's life, mind, head, vision...everywhere they look, FAVORITE GAME. It's nice to share and compare fave games, not to have a raging war where you force them to change theirs.

Personally, I've said this MANY times before, but mine's Wind Waker. I'm guessing it's mainly because it was my first Zelda game, so I was just getting my first taste of it and I therefore compared every game after to it and became accustomed to it. I just loved the connections you could see between each character, like the evolving relationship between Komali and Medli, or the gratefulness from Makar to Link. I'd spend hour after hour on this game. Sadly, I lost my memory card and now ALL of my GC Zelda game files are gone forever... I guess there's nothing wrong with replaying them a few more times.

In return to the topic, it's fully possible to have one, but to also love and appreciate the rest of the Zelda series for each new and fantastic quality it brings.

If you'll excuse me now, I think I'll go catch up my games c:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'd say it is possible to have a favourite Zelda game but we will all judge our favourite by different criteria.

For me, my favourite is not judged by the quality of gameplay, the artistry of graphics or the wealth of content. My favourite is based on how the game made me feel, how much of an emotional response it got from me. All these other factors (gameplay, content, etc.) all play a part in that but ultimately it is the whole, not specific parts, which get me to engage on a deeper level than simply playing a game.

For this reason, Majora's Mask is my favourite Zelda game because I have never engaged more deeply with any video game ever. It found an extremely special place in my heart that few other games have come close to.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
Best and favorite are by far two different things. There is no such thing as the best Zelda game, since it's a matter of opinion, but you can have a favorite, the game that personally stuck with you the most, for example, I think the best Zelda game is Ocarina of Time but my favorite, the one that just kind of stuck with me was Twilight Princess, I know it doesn't make sense really but we're dealing with very subjective terms here. :S

Last edited:

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I personally don't have a favourite Zelda game. I've thought about it numerous times and still can't come to a conclusion. Each story holds different memories and emotions for me, plus I'm very indecisive! Factors such as graphics, gamplay, story, etc. all add up, though I think how much you liked that particular game decides whether or not it is your favourite. Your favorite Zelda game may not be the best in the series in your eyes.

As said above, there is no rule saying anyone has to have a single favorite game. Some people like certain games for certain reasons. Again as you stated saying SS was your favorite for gameplay while another might be your favorite for story etc. Some people have multiple titles they all equally like as a favorite.

For me I often lump the N64 games as my favorite. OoT and MM are so different, but together they make the best tandem in video game history imo. I know I used best, but when it comes to art it's always subjective. I think some people forget that.

Of course it's possible to have a favorite Zelda game. It's all a matter of opinion at the end of the day. As others have stated before me, just remember to differentiate "best" and "favorite".

Personally, my favorites are ALttP and OoT. ALttP was my very first Zelda game, back when it was first released on the SNES. OoT, on the other hand, brought me back into the series after I had moved onto other games.

It can be hard to pick a favourite Zelda. Most people have nostalgia deeply routed into some titles which makes or breaks the decision for them. Zelda also is never the same twice (despite being wholly the same every time), in that the art style or overworld could turn people off.

I had a tough time deciding if it was Wind Waker or Twilight Princess that was my favourite, and while TP is longer, full of more sidequests, items, characters, dungeons and has an artstyle i love, i've finally come down on the side of Wind Waker because it makes me happy. A favourite Zelda isn't a choice that i would base on function but rather on form. If it makes you smile, if it can melt away the stress of the day, if it makes you want to play it then embrace it. And i'll say the same for anyhting, if a notoriously terrible movie has the effect on you that makes you happy, peaceful, or whatever you want to feel then embrace it becuase too few examples of artforms can touch us on such levels nowadays and it wont be right to ignore the ones that do based on function or reception other than your own.

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
Yes, but your choice depends on two questions; "Am I having more fun playing this game or the other one?" and "Can I play this game for an extended period of time without being bored?". My favorites are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

bunny

birb overlord
Hmmmm... It think it really depends on the person. I know some people who have a favorite Zelda, but others who don't. In my case, I don't have a favorite, but I do have my preferences.

So basically, yes, I think it's possible.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
It is possible to have a problem on deciding which Zelda game is your favorite. I do have that problem, but all well it ends well. I actually have two Zelda games I think are the best! First up is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Other is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Those two games really brought my attention and got excited because of the new feature it had for us to play around with. However, Twilight Princess had more to offer than ALttP had. ALttP had very simple, yet awesome feature that an SNES can handle. TP has the Wii. I personally think these games are the best games to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom