• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Is It Possible That Link's Main Weapon Has Changed?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
First off this is just initial analysis, so I could be way off when more information is revealed.

So I just rewatched the trailer for what seemed like the 100th time and I noticed a distinct lack of sword, Link's shield was present as well as his bow, but his sword is nowhere to be seen. Don't worry, I'm not saying Link isn't going to have a sword this time around (like the pre SS rumours); however I think, based off the trailer, that his Bow seems like the focal point.

Also notice how this isn't just any ordinary Bow, it first shoots what seems like Bomb Arrows and then a mysterious magical arrow. It's this latter shot that I think may play a key part in the game, they slowed down the trailer specifically to show this magical arrow (or a whatever it was), and I don't think that is a coincidence.

Anyway, do you think the Bow might play a vital role in this game, maybe even more so than the sword? Also any ideas on how the bow could be utilised more if this is indeed the case?

TriFiERCE

Fury, Spirit, and Will
Perhaps the Sword will still be his main Weapon, but the Bow will be the new master sword. You know, like a Master Bow. It sounds cool, and I like the idea. But I hope we still see the Master Sword. Perhaps even a Master Hammer!

I think the Arrow's effects will just be really strong, perhaps like a magical explosion effect or something.

I think, it's definitely possible that the main weapon has changed. There is a lot of focus on the glowing arrow in the trailer. And it is Links only arrow looking that special. This could be the only way to defeat these glowing mechanical enemies (or probably bosses). Makes also sense that this is what Links finishing move looks like, doesn't it? And you would need to recollect that arrow. Or you would need to get another one, forcing you to get back to one location like a special person who builds these one at a time for you. This way, you couldn't fight boss after boss without going back to this special place/person.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Lack of sword? Hmm, then what is this I see?:

qqG6tv8.jpg

Omg, could THAT be Link's sword!? :O

If you don't see it, try right clicking on the image and click to view image to get bigger version of the image so you see better of where the sword is.

Even though I don't see the sword (and I tried really hard), I think there will be a sword. Nevertheless, this could be the game where the bow is actually more important (story wise) than the sword. Everything smells like a reboot right now, so why not change things up and give this iteration of the game it's own rules. No Mastersword, but something else instead. Still can be canon, even though other elements are brand new and unexpected.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo

If you don't see it, try right clicking on the image and click to view image to get bigger version of the image so you see better of where the sword is.
Ah didn't see that, thanks.

However, I wasn't saying Link won't have a sword (it's a given he will), but more so that his most prominent weapon will be the bow, which was the main vocal point of the trailer and of Link's arsenal while on horseback.

VitaTempusN92

Even though I don't see the sword (and I tried really hard), I think there will be a sword. Nevertheless, this could be the game where the bow is actually more important (story wise) than the sword. Everything smells like a reboot right now, so why not change things up and give this iteration of the game it's own rules. No Mastersword, but something else instead. Still can be canon, even though other elements are brand new and unexpected.

Try observing all four of the screens on this page:

http://imgur.com/a/wjcnq

Be sure to use the zoom tool cause it comes when trying to look for the sword. The sword is there you just observe closer at the spot where it is. It may be hard to find cause it's so close to that "alchemy" arrow. Also I don't think that this is a reboot, I think this is a game that just happens to be far far distant in the future of one of the three known timelines after the split or perhaps a newly introduced timeline branches off either SS, OoT, or an adventure sometime before or after SS or OoT. We don't really know for sure where exactly this sets place in the timeline, all we know is that game exists and we finally know what game looks. We don't know any story or chronological aspects yet. Heck, we don't even have a title or even a placeholder tentative title logo(unless you count the one from the "rethinking conventions" announcement from last year). Due to this game not even having a subtitle yet and only small teaser was shown, I sincerely doubt that this game will release in 2015 at all, as I predict that at the earliest, we may get a holiday 2016 release, if not then, probably a release no later than early 2017.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Due to this game not even having a subtitle yet and only small teaser was shown, I sincerely doubt that this game will release in 2015 at all, as I predict that at the earliest, we may get a holiday 2016 release, if not then, probably a release no later than early 2017.
The game has been in development since 2011, it does not take 6 years to make a game, that is ridiculous even for Nintendo.

In my opinion, Link's main weapon will not become the bow. However, an emphasis on the bow will begin at the beginning of the game. Unlike previous Zelda titles in which we unlock the bow after our journey has begun, I believe that this new title will unlock it either before or soon after we leave the starting area. The reason for this is due to the open world environment they're trying to create, we will be given the bow to further open up the possibilities from the start of the game. Link's sword will still be his main weapon but I do believe that we will be seeing more of the bow than ever before this time around. While the bow will be strong for the overworld, within dungeons the sword will be as important as ever taking down enemies in much closer quarters.

VitaTempusN92

The game has been in development since 2011, it does not take 6 years to make a game, that is ridiculous even for Nintendo.

First off, Zelda Wii U appears to be much bigger game than previous titles, not to mention the game is in HD and has a massively open world with very detailed artistically unique HD SS-ish like super hi-res graphics that take time make. Plus there are existing games in general that did take several years to make like Ryse: Son of Rome by Microsoft for example. Point is, unlike SD games, HD games, especially big highly detailed games like Ryse and Zelda U take a long time to make. Nintendo almost had another Zelda U absent situation as you could tell by them showing only such a short reveal/glimpse of the game, so we should be grateful that they at least showed something this time around due to fan-base support and demand, similar to what they did with SS in 2009. So we probably won't receiving any info on title or any story or chronological aspects until next year which then leads to a Holiday 2016 release at the earliest.

I do think that Link's bow will be a go-to weapon from what we see in the trailer, but I do think that it will not be his primary weapon. If you look closely at that special arrow at the end of the trailer, you can see that 1) The blue light coming from the tip looks very similar to the blue lasers that huge monster thing was firing earlier, and 2) The arrow has markings of rings connected by lines, which can also be found on the "belly" of the monster. With that said, my theory is that that specific arrow is the only weapon that could truly defeat the monster for good, and that a sword simply wasn't the right weapon to use on that specific enemy. Although it is interesting that the sword is not present during the entire trailer. We'll just have to wait and see for the next Zelda bombshell trailer to be released.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I think that there will be a greater focus on the bow at the beginning of the game compared to other titles. In some of the most recent instalments, the bow isn't seen at the beginning of the game, but rather later on. Items that are less powerful, such as the slingshot, have been used as introductory items. Maybe this time, players will start out with more powerful weapons like the bow, which will play a key role until a sword (possibly the Master sword?) is obtained. I don't necessarily believe that the bow will become more vital than the sword, but hey, they are changing the conventions of Zelda. Maybe that is a choice left for the individual player to decide.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

qqG6tv8.jpg

Yeah, something I already pointed out in my thread about Link's handedness and the possible return of motion controls.

JC, are you sure you payed attention to that thread? :P (jk jk)

D

Deleted member 14134

Maybe there'll be a choice of other weapons but links a swordsman through and through. They won't just scrap the sword completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom