• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Is It in Your Top Favorites?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
As indicated in my signature, A Link Between Worlds jumped to my number two spot. I greatly enjoyed the game. I really liked characters like Yuga, Hilda, and Ravio, and I enjoyed all of the dungeons. I enjoyed doing them in any order I wanted to. I liked the items and the Maiamai sidequest. I especially enjoyed the story and being able to turn into a painting; that was unique and fun. The game also sort of gave me a taste of A Link to the Past, since I've never played that game and am now looking forward to the day I can play it even more.

All in all, I really loved A Link Between Worlds. I love it a lot more than I first thought I would. But I still don't love it enough for it to be my favorite.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Like Azure, if you look in my signature you'll see that ALBW is my second favorite Zelda game now.

It was the first new Zelda I've played since Twilight Princess. I didn't get a DS until a couple months ago, and I don't have many Wii games, so I didn't get the chance to experience Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tacks, and Skyward Sword yet. So, when I found out I had the chance to get this game I was really excited. I wasn't hyped for the game at first though, but as more was revealed I couldn't wait to play it. I loved the story. It was one of the best Zelda stories in my opinion. The graphics were amazing for a top-down handheld game and the gameplay was retro yet new. I loved how open the game was, and the dungeons, for the most part, were fantastic. It's not a perfect game. It's not even the best Zelda game in my opinion, but it's a step in the right direction for the Zelda series. Zelda Wii U has some bigger shoes to fill now.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
No. It's a good game and way better than I thought it'd be, but it's far too primitive to win my Top 5. The story's weak, but this is forgivable since it's Zelda. The puzzles are a little weaker due to the non-linearity and only being able to use 1-item plus merge...which is more annoying. The combat is infuriatingly primitive. It's just barely improved off of aLttP and it's been two decades. The graphics are pretty good, but a few of the character models look way younger than they should (mainly Link, Zelda, etc.). The music is just OK. There's really nothing exceptional that stands out in this game and it has a few weak spots too. So while it's a good Zelda title, it doesn't really do anything to be called "Amazing" like my top #5.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yes it has. I loved the game. I loved everything about it. I was really thrilled when I played it and even though it was easy to complete I still love it enough to play it over and over again.
My fav games so far are TP > OoT> WW> ALBW> SS> ST>PH

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
ALBW has splurged its load across modern Zelda's very face; needless to say it is in my top five at the very least, if not contending with ALttP for #3.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
No, no it has not.

I do applaud ALBW for shaking up the formula and showing me how nonlinearity can be handled in Zelda games. And I commend it for being a handheld game that's actually designed like a handheld instead of a ported console game. The music's also very good as per standard of the series.

However... the whole game's rather standard, nothing that would earn it a place in my top 5. The puzzles were too easy for me, and nothing quite stretched my mind like my top 5 Zelda games did. Combat was also too easy in regular mode (though I've come to really like the Hero Mode for its challenge). The story's pretty barebones (which I was actually fine with) but the ending made me pretty mad for some reason (though it's still nowhere near the rage-inducing madness that AoL stirs up within me).

So, it's a middle-of-the-road Zelda game for me.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I'm not sure where it fits in with all the other games by my standards, but it definitely is my favourite Zelda handheld title. I loved how it was a new story set in my favourite Zelda game's world - ALttP. I was hooked from start to finish and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it.

Last edited:

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I absolutely loved it. I've beaten it twice, but I'm going to have to get through it one more time to fully absorb the game and give it a ranking on my top Zelda games list. I know for a fact that it's in my top 5. As of now I'm thinking it might end up as my #2 below Wind Waker and above TP and ALttP tied for #3.

I loved the story, the dungeons, the soundtrack, the characters, the over world, the combat system, the items, everything about the game I loved

Fig

The Altruist
Since I first got my hands on my own copy of ALBW, I just knew I was going to receive an incredible experience. Having played ALttP was both a gift and curse on my expectations for ALBW. Because I love ALttP, when I first heard about ALBW taken place in the same world as ALttP generations later, I was having probably want I would consider one of my happiest moments in my life. :sweat: Up until it's release on November, I remember taking notes of everything that I could obtain about ALBW. All I could find was the incredible praise that practically everyone was giving the game! Immediately after buying my copy of the game, I inserted the cartridge onto my 3DS and with such joy and much anticipation since E3, I started the game. Since that day, I have completed the game at least 20 times (roughly 20 as I'm pretty certain that I played more than that :xd:) and I never get tired of the for a single second, except when I'm trying to do reach 999 seconds on the Cucco minigame!!! :mad: While I personally believe that graphics should be a reason to buy the game, I do have to admit that ABLW has one of the greatest graphics on the 3DS console! What I really love the most about ABLW is simply how open and large the game is, even after completely the game roughly 20 times. :sweat: There's so much you can do and the greatest thing is that there is no punishment for that! Being able to do whatever I want in a non-linear world is like a nice quick breath of fresh air! :lol:

As of right now, ALBW sits upon my Zelda list at #2 in my favorite Zelda list (I'm sorry I don't it on my signature like everyone else does). Numbers 1, 3, and 4 are always being switched out as I believe Wind Waker/Wind WakerHD, Skyward Sword, or Majora's Mask also have potential to be my top favorite but then I notice other features about the other games and I question to myself which one deserves to have the better number spot. However, with my own experience about ABLW, I may start cycling about my top 4 Zelda games from time to time. :S I'm not saying ALBW is the perfect Zelda game, but I am saying that is a must-buy and a well-developed step for future installments in the franchise to come. Everything about the game is just truly incredible, from the main story and characters, to the game mechanics and features to explore, to the fascinating side-quests and hidden secrets in the game! This game truly deserves the praise that it receives and with that said, I am expecting bigger and better things for Zelda Wii U! :3

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
ALBW is definitely in my top 5 Zelda games. I absolutely loved this game, it is almost everything I've wanted in a Zelda game for a long time. I don't know where to rank it within my top 5 but it is in there. Fantastic dungeons, puzzles, items, etc. I could go on and on, but the game is just amazing.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
ALBW has definitely made it to my top 4. It is behind only SS, MM, and TWW, and just ahead of OOT/ALttP (tied). I loved everything about the game. It was a true return to Zelda's roots, and certainly a worthy sequel to one of the best Zelda games. This was the second instance, in my opinion, in which the sequel beat its predecessor (unless you count both TWW and MM as sequels). The non-linearity was perfect for the series when considering how linear the more recent games have been. I knew it was going to be a good game, but I didn't think it would wow me as much as it did. Great game, great game indeed!

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I'm actually surprised about just how much I ended up loving this game. I've never been a person who complain if things are linear, but I absolutely loved how open and free this game was in terms of what order you played the dungeons. Having most of the items available for rental and purchase from Ravio right away was brilliant, and really opened up the way you could play the game. I mean, apart from having to aquire the sand rod from rescuing the sage that had rented it (I actually can't remember which dungeon he was in, despite playing that dungeon sometime in the last week or so) in order to access and play the sand dungeon, you were completely free to choose the order you played the game. And the item rental/purchase strategy actually made rupees worth something, unlike pretty much every other Zelda game I've played.

And having Mother Maiamai upgrade each item you owned really gave you a proper incentive to look for the Maiamais. I actually really enjoyed searching all over Hyrule and Lorule for them (and for most of it I didn't even have the sound on, including most of those who were hidden inside random trees), and because that search led me to finding most of the heart pieces, I will actually 100% a Zelda game for the first time ever.

I have never played A Link to the Past (but now I will definitely check it out), but I feel A Link Between Worlds really accomplished what the original Legend of Zelda wanted to do, namely to make a game that's open and non-linear, but that also gives players the incentive to explore every single nook and cranny.

As for how I would rank it, I'm probably going to the first one to give it a #1 spot (yes, it pushed my nostalgia-favourite OoT down a place), at least in terms of first-time playthrough. I've enjoyed myself immensely with this game. It's the first game where I have resisted any urge to ask for help, check walthroughs or any of that. I was determined to managing on my own, and I did.

I'm unsure if it will remain a favourite altogether when I replay it in the future as part of the enjoyment was the discovery, the not knowing what was ahead of me, but I know it will stay among my top 5. That I'm certain of.

Big Octo

=^)
Why, yes, it has. A Link Between Worlds has really been the 2D game I've wanted all along. It's done away with some conventions that that were starting to grate on me in other games, such as control gimmicks or being heavily combat-centered. It really has that classic Zelda feeling, but the painting mechanic brings a fresh modern twist to the game which I thought was simply brilliant. It's quickly climbed the ranks in my favorite 2D Zeldas, and hell, maybe with a few more playthroughs, it may as well become my new favorite 2D title of the franchise. Never has a game swayed my opinion so drastically as this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom