• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Is Hylia an Effective Part of the Lore?

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
That makes very. Little. Sense. How is she "some random goddesses (sic) from a before-time" when she's present in every game to date (in spirit) and also the reason that Link exists? Hylia and Zelda are essentially one and the same; lots of games and other media use some form of reincarnation of its main hero/heroine as a plot device; The Legend of Zelda is no different.

"Random" as in, appeared out of nowhere. Though technically Hylia has been in every game, that would be due to added lore, not because she was actually there. Can we really say we knew Zelda was connected to Hylia before playing SS... or that Hylia even existed? It's easy to come up with lore that doesn't correlate at all with the clues the series has given. The only thing that makes it right is that the creators of the other games have their names on it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
"Random" as in, appeared out of nowhere. Though technically Hylia has been in every game, that would be due to added lore, not because she was actually there. Can we really say we knew Zelda was connected to Hylia before playing SS... or that Hylia even existed? It's easy to come up with lore that doesn't correlate at all with the clues the series has given. The only thing that makes it right is that the creators of the other games have their names on it.

Again, Zelda is known for retconning things into its lore. It's done that with every prequel thus far, and even in some sequels. Like the Light Spirits in Twilight Princess.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
However, Hylia does tie in Zelda to the rest of the series. I like the idea of getting back to the creation of Hyrule. It prevents Nintendo from making any more prequels and forces them to move forward with the story.

Except for that whole pre-war thing we never actually saw. Or anything else that happened before that. And all the events that other games said happened that we never got to see in SS (war in OoT, physical creation of Hyrule, establishing the races and monarchy, etc). There's really nothing to stop Nintendo from making another prequel. One might realize that SS is actually begging for one, especially when you talk to Faron about the history of the land.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well I do realize made the usual mistake of talking about events that happened before-hand. It's just that SS suggests we're getting back to creation itself. We need one more prequel. A prequel literally starting with the creation of the world. After you've gone back to that, there's no farther back to go. Nintendo will have to move storylines forward and not back.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
There's really nothing to stop Nintendo from making another prequel. One might realize that SS is actually begging for one, especially when you talk to Faron about the history of the land.

I somewhat expect to see another one, although not any time soon. It took OoT 13 years to get its true prequel (TMC doesn't count, it didn't make any connections). I would expect around the same amount of time for SS to get its. If it gets one at all.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well I do realize made the usual mistake of talking about events that happened before-hand. It's just that SS suggests we're getting back to creation itself. We need one more prequel. A prequel literally starting with the creation of the world. After you've gone back to that, there's no farther back to go. Nintendo will have to move storylines forward and not back.

Oh but Nintendo can do whatever they like with a prequel no matter the backdrop. It's what they did with Hylia; they introduced another "goddess" who supposedly was this all-important being (for a time), but poof she's actually Princess Zelda!!yayayay. No. I don't accept that, personally, because there was and is absolutely nothing within the games prior to SS that even hint as Zelda having the blood of the goddess. :I

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Oh but Nintendo can do whatever they like with a prequel no matter the backdrop. It's what they did with Hylia; they introduced another "goddess" who supposedly was this all-important being (for a time), but poof she's actually Princess Zelda!!yayayay. No. I don't accept that, personally, because there was and is absolutely nothing within the games prior to SS that even hint as Zelda having the blood of the goddess. :I

Um... except there was. She has magical powers all the time, even without the Triforce of Wisdom. That's obviously not what they intended at the time, but that's the whole point of a RETCON (seriously, how many times do I have to bring that up???). It writes in something new without contradicting established lore.

Nit-picking, here, but "poof she's actually Princess Zelda" is a gross misinterpretation of the story, which basically nulls your post by default. She BECAME Zelda as part of her plan to stop Demise. By being Link's childhood friend, she knew Link would try to save her without hesitation, allowing him to defeat Demise once and for all. (Er... "once and for all".)

Random Person

Just Some Random Person

I must admit that it is hard to accept, but accept it we must. (Unless we want to go hardcore and start a petition to consider SS not part of the cannonical titles but who does that?) Anything that's canon, I've learned to accept even though I will nag and complain about it until I'm given a chocolate cupcake. As much as it isn't referenced at all in the overall timelines, Hylia is Zelda and is most likely responsible for things like future Zelda powers. Why? Because Nintendo said so.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I actually think Skyward Sword included a prequel-hook.

Remember when you get the sailcloth? The description of it was "This was used by the ancient Hero!" - i.e. a Hero came before Skyward Sword. (Not necessarily the one in the manga, either, as I think the manga was created after the game and is of dubious canon / non-canon status).

UNLESS, of course, the crazy crack-thoery I propsed in a fanfiction I just posted ("Sailcloth Journeys") is actually right (... and the "sailcloth used by the Ancient Hero" refers to the Hero of Winds/Wind Waker because Time is shaped like a Triforce and everything in that universe is on an eternal recurrance loop). - I DID JUST SAY MY FANFICTION WAS CRACK.

So, yeah, I think Nintendo pulled a straight-up sequel hook there. (Then again, I also unintentionally predicted the existance of Fi in regards to a fanfic I wrote years before SS came out...)

*Waggles fingers and goes wooooo!*

I don't think Hylia puts the brakes on prequel-games, Nintendo will just have to be creative and retcon some more!

I was thinking of Hylia's role and how... if I am remembering my Tolkien-lore right, how she might correspond to that. It's been a while since I've read "The Lord of the Rings" and I only ever read part of "The Silmarilion" so if I'm not getting the names for ranks/deities straight, I apologize...

In comparing Zelda-lore to Middle Earth lore... I think the Golden Goddesses / The Three are the "above-all" like Eru Illuvitar - the Creator and Hylia / Light Spirits/Great Deku Tree/the Dragons are all kind of like the Valar or the Maiar. - Just in case it might be helpful in distinguishing roles by comparison. The "minor gods" the Valar and Maiar class have various powers and are in charge of certain things, but they are created beings who answer to the Creator, ultimately. That's how I think Hylia must be - Hyrule's Creator-Goddesses, being too busy or just disintersted in the world they created, or maybe just wanting to pass their power around and share, made Hylia as a world and Triforce-watcher and to either watch over the human-type mortal race the Three had created or to have free reign to create them herself. (Personally, I think the Hylians/humans were created by the Three, while Hylia was the designated protector, but I could be wrong).

I do think the Tolkien inspiration in Hyrule is pretty obvious, so it wouldn't surprise me if Miyamoto, Aunouma, etc. were thinking in terms of the Middle Earth rankings for deities and powers in piecing together the games.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I actually think Skyward Sword included a prequel-hook.

Remember when you get the sailcloth? The description of it was "This was used by the ancient Hero!" - i.e. a Hero came before Skyward Sword. (Not necessarily the one in the manga, either, as I think the manga was created after the game and is of dubious canon / non-canon status).

UNLESS, of course, the crazy crack-thoery I propsed in a fanfiction I just posted ("Sailcloth Journeys") is actually right (... and the "sailcloth used by the Ancient Hero" refers to the Hero of Winds/Wind Waker because Time is shaped like a Triforce and everything in that universe is on an eternal recurrance loop). - I DID JUST SAY MY FANFICTION WAS CRACK.

So, yeah, I think Nintendo pulled a straight-up sequel hook there. (Then again, I also unintentionally predicted the existance of Fi in regards to a fanfic I wrote years before SS came out...)

*Waggles fingers and goes wooooo!*

I don't think Hylia puts the brakes on prequel-games, Nintendo will just have to be creative and retcon some more!

I was thinking of Hylia's role and how... if I am remembering my Tolkien-lore right, how she might correspond to that. It's been a while since I've read "The Lord of the Rings" and I only ever read part of "The Silmarilion" so if I'm not getting the names for ranks/deities straight, I apologize...

In comparing Zelda-lore to Middle Earth lore... I think the Golden Goddesses / The Three are the "above-all" like Eru Illuvitar - the Creator and Hylia / Light Spirits/Great Deku Tree/the Dragons are all kind of like the Valar or the Maiar. - Just in case it might be helpful in distinguishing roles by comparison. The "minor gods" the Valar and Maiar class have various powers and are in charge of certain things, but they are created beings who answer to the Creator, ultimately. That's how I think Hylia must be - Hyrule's Creator-Goddesses, being too busy or just disintersted in the world they created, or maybe just wanting to pass their power around and share, made Hylia as a world and Triforce-watcher and to either watch over the human-type mortal race the Three had created or to have free reign to create them herself. (Personally, I think the Hylians/humans were created by the Three, while Hylia was the designated protector, but I could be wrong).

I do think the Tolkien inspiration in Hyrule is pretty obvious, so it wouldn't surprise me if Miyamoto, Aunouma, etc. were thinking in terms of the Middle Earth rankings for deities and powers in piecing together the games.

I'd say Twilight Princess had the "prequel hook." The City in the Sky, the oocoos, the scattered owl statues... with SS being the next major game to come out and it being about past Hylians who lived in the sky, TP was clearly setting up mysteries to be solved by that game. (Too bad SS hardly solved any of them). Even before I knew about SS, I could pretty much see where TP was leading. I don't feel that same "hook vibe" from SS, but something more along the lines of... Nintendo left it mysterious and open so they could do whatever they wanted later.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Nintendo left it mysterious and open so they could do whatever they wanted later.

Lol that's the name of Nintendo's game with Zelda. They always leave questions so that they don't limit themselves with later stories. I'm pretty sure Aonuma even said they intentionally left some things about SS's backstory a mystery in case they wanted to do another prequel, so Nintendo definitely did what you just said.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I'd say Twilight Princess had the "prequel hook." The City in the Sky, the oocoos, the scattered owl statues... with SS being the next major game to come out and it being about past Hylians who lived in the sky, TP was clearly setting up mysteries to be solved by that game. (Too bad SS hardly solved any of them). Even before I knew about SS, I could pretty much see where TP was leading. I don't feel that same "hook vibe" from SS, but something more along the lines of... Nintendo left it mysterious and open so they could do whatever they wanted later.

I was annoyed, ultimately, at the abscence of Oocca in Skyward Sword for just this reason. Yeah, I know they were creepy and freaked a lot of people out, but I liked them! Nintendo needs to explain them!

My current fan-theory on that is that they're a race of squatters that took over and remade Skyloft for their own purposes. In light of Skyward Sword not having them around, it's all I've got.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Hylia in a sense is now of course a big part of the lore and like/dislike I think she will play a role in the lore in future games. I mean Hylia is in essence, Zelda, she has basically been in every Zelda game thus far however we have only known this to be since ths release of Skyward Sword. So an explanation for our beloved Princess Zelda, Hylia also ties in with the Triforce and the origins of evil, being Demise. I wont get I to the whole "Hylia- big revelation, that must be why they are called Hylians..." as I fssl that is rather irrelevant to the lore.

Overall though I don't think she is larley significant outside the events of Skyward Sword. Of course in SS she was a big part of the story, she is the reason that the Hylians are in the sky, she created Fi, she in a way set out the events for the creation of the MS. However apart from looking back at the supposed"origin" story I think she isn't actually that effective. I also think the same with Demise, Hylia is now Zelda...She probably won't appear or be told of in another Zelda game (providing we don't get another prequel).

I thjnk the reason she won't be a significant figure in the grand scheme is because we generally don't know much of her. Of course there was the three Goddesses and then there was Hylia. Now Hylia seems to be the closest associate to the gods, which I guess is important however the fact that we barley know nothing of her role makes me doubt her. Yes I know she guarded the Triforce but haven't the leaders of Hyrule always doen this? Maybe jf we had more of an insight into what her role was we could establish how significant she actually was to the whole legend, not just one story. Myabe that's another point, I think SS was a vsry poor origin story for the series, it didn't really explain that much and maybd this is ehy it had an effect onthe way 'I' and many other people view Hylia.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
I mean yeah, we'll probably never see Hylia again, but that doesn't mean she isn't a big part of the lore. She is of coarse, a huge part of the lore, responsible for the creation of the master sword, link, and zelda. And deservingly so, she was a cool addition to the game in my opinion. It was nice to have an interesting deity that was part of the story (unlikethe three golden goddesses) and wasn't just a guardian-spirit (Like the Great Deku Tree, Jabu-Jabu, and Valoo). I also felt an affinity for her, being the deity and creator of the Hylians, the race a member of which you play as.

WARNING; FAN THEORY
I always felt the three golden goddesses just kind of created the world and the Triforce and left. They never act directly in the affairs of Hyrule, save in the WW when they flood it but only as last minute fix to the Ganondorf problem. Hylia actually fights the Demon King directly, and actively takes a role in saving her people and the Triforce. Because of this, I feel Hylia is a much better deity than the Golden Goddesses. She fights for her people and the task she was assigned and is involved in the world, almost, I feel, acting for the Goddesses on their behalf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom