• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Is ALBW What We Think It Is?

We all think that ALBW is a direct sequel to ALTTP. However, I feel otherwise. When discovering that Link between worlds had won an award, I started playing it again. Did anyone notice in the opening scene of Link's room, Majora's Mask is on the wall?
This got me thinking...
Is it possible that Ravio is the Happy Mask Salesman that we met in Ocarina and Majora, just wandering and wandering?
There are even more connections to Termina in the game, which I shall not delve into.
What do you guys think?

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
I think you're way off base on this one. Ravio is quite clearly Link's counterpart in Lorule, just like how Hilda is Zelda's counterpart. Not to mention Ravio and the Happy Mask Salesman look nothing alike, and ALBW is in an entirely different timeline from MM. I'm hoping the mask on Link's wall was put there as a herald to MM 3D, but that just might be wishful thinking.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
There is the possibility of Majora's Mask meaning something, but at this point it's very little more than an easter egg. I've tried to connect Termina to Lorule and, well, it's simply impossible without there being multiple flaws of which I cannot explain beyond just speculating.

Also we know who Ravio is:
He's Lorule's version of Link. His outfit is a mere disguise, he's actually not that tall, and he is very different in appearance to the Mask Salesmen. Also Ravio seemingly only knows of Hyrule through an odd worm hole of sorts within his own world - he didn't know of Hyrule beforehand. The Happy Mask Salesman was a resident of Hyrule hundreds of years before the events of A Link Between Worlds took place.
Due to what is contained within the spoiler, I doubt the Happy Mask Salesman is related in any fashion. always viewed the him as a spirit of sorts that helps Link on his journey in Majora's Mask - his sudden movements, his ability to cross worlds, his sudden vanishment at the end of the game etc. I made a detailed post about it somewhere, but unfortunately I can't find it otherwise I'd be able to link it without making brief points about my theory.

Anyway, if we really want to speculate about the Mask, it appears in Link's house before Ravio enters Hyrule.

Last edited:

LilyPadGeek

Some Weird Person
I think it's an Easter Egg personally. Or Nintendo just teasing everyone with the "references" to MM. (I say references like that because of the journal in Ravio's house. The three days and such I mean. I don't think it's a reference but others do.)

I have updated it, here you go.
A Link between Worlds was an excellent Zelda game in many ways. It was a sequel to the fan-beloved A Link to the Past. It brought in new features such as the transformation of Link, and I liked this game.

The first thing I noticed when I got my copy is that when you start the game, the cutscene of Link's house shows Majora's Mask on the wall. Many people think that Ravio is the happy mask salesman, in fact, this is an article on zeldadungeon.net. This is quite valid, though there are a few things I want to point out.

1. Majora's Mask is already on Link's wall at the very start of the game. Try it for yourself. Unless Ravio has been hiding under Link's bed since the start of the game, Majora's Mask is obviously in Link's posession. This means that possibly, Link is a descendant of the happy mask salesman.

2. Termina could be fake, and for reasons below.
Termina is Link discovering what he has done to future Hyrule, in my opinion. Think about it.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608041427916295420&pid=1.7
There are three Zelda timelines.The child timeline, The downfall timeline, and the adult timeline.

Majora's Mask is Link after leaving the future to live his childhood and save hyrule, however, preceding the events of Wind Waker, Ganon has once again taken over Hyrule, because the Hero of Time did not come to save them.

Termina is Link recognizing the destruction of hyrule.

This creates a fourth time line.
In this one,
at the end of Majora's Mask, Link rushes home to save hyrule. He is unable to save Hyrule from Ganon, though, and is forced to go into hiding.
Ravio is the hero of time, searching and searching for someone to pass down his skills to before he dies. When he takes of his mask at the end of the game, he looks like Link.
The hero of time has been searching this whole time, to find a way to save Hyrule.
He comes back to Hyrule, and it is happy and safe again.
He finds a descendant of the happy mask salesman, and has finally found a connection ,or a LINK between worlds.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Yeah pretty big stretch. Ravio and the Mask Salesman can't be the same person, one has black hair and green eyes, the other has red hair and is usually squinting so we don't know his eye color. Personalities are different too, I know that can change based on what happens in a person's life, but yeah.

While your second theory sounds plausable...one thing. Ravio's hair and eye color are different from Hero of Time's. Unless he dyed his hair and got colored contacts...

Last edited:

Fig

The Altruist
Ravio and the Happy Mask Salesman are not the same character by any definition or characteristics found in A Link Between Worlds. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but no matter how fully developed fan theories are, the will always be flaws or holes that go against those theories. There's just no way to prove that Ravio and the Happy Mask Salesman are the same character or that Ravio is a reincarnation of the Happy Mask Salesman. The Majora's Mask found in Link's house is nothing but a replica of the real mask. Anything found in ABLW that seems related to Majora's Mask is nothing more than either an easter egg or a reference.

I have updated it, here you go.
A Link between Worlds was an excellent Zelda game in many ways. It was a sequel to the fan-beloved A Link to the Past. It brought in new features such as the transformation of Link, and I liked this game.

The first thing I noticed when I got my copy is that when you start the game, the cutscene of Link's house shows Majora's Mask on the wall. Many people think that Ravio is the happy mask salesman, in fact, this is an article on zeldadungeon.net. This is quite valid, though there are a few things I want to point out.

1. Majora's Mask is already on Link's wall at the very start of the game. Try it for yourself. Unless Ravio has been hiding under Link's bed since the start of the game, Majora's Mask is obviously in Link's posession. This means that possibly, Link is a descendant of the happy mask salesman.

I'm not sure if it is stated in the game, but I'm very certain it is merely a replica of the real Majora's Mask that was given by the Happy Mask Salesman to Link to remind him of the dark mask. It masks sense that the Happy Mask Salesman would keep the real Majora's Mask as he is the only one, besides the extinct ancient tribe, to know about the powers of Majora's Mask. So yes, the replica of the mask is in Link's possession, but I fail to see how that would make him a descendant of the Happy Mask Salesman when it makes more sense that he is the next reincarnation of Link after the events of A Link to the Past.

2. Termina could be fake, and for reasons below.
Termina is Link discovering what he has done to future Hyrule, in my opinion. Think about it.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608041427916295420&pid=1.7
There are three Zelda timelines.The child timeline, The downfall timeline, and the adult timeline.

Majora's Mask is Link after leaving the future to live his childhood and save hyrule, however, preceding the events of Wind Waker, Ganon has once again taken over Hyrule, because the Hero of Time did not come to save them.

Termina is Link recognizing the destruction of hyrule.

This creates a fourth time line.
In this one,
at the end of Majora's Mask, Link rushes home to save hyrule. He is unable to save Hyrule from Ganon, though, and is forced to go into hiding.
Ravio is the hero of time, searching and searching for someone to pass down his skills to before he dies. When he takes of his mask at the end of the game, he looks like Link.
The hero of time has been searching this whole time, to find a way to save Hyrule.
He comes back to Hyrule, and it is happy and safe again.
He finds a descendant of the happy mask salesman, and has finally found a connection ,or a LINK between worlds.

Termina isn't a fake realm but rather was not discovered until someone from a different world, in this case Link, and realized that there was in fact another from his. It's like saying that somewhere out there is a planet in outer space with lifeforms but because we don't have any evidence that such a planet exists doesn't mean it is fake, unreal, or doesn't exist. The same concept is applied here with A Link Between Worlds. Both lands of Hyrule and Lorule didn't knew each other's existence and thus the individuals within those realms never believed that there was another land, despite have similarities amongst the two worlds. Thus Ravio didn't know that Hyrule was existing as the same time that the land of Lorule and vice versa.

And yes, Majora's Mask does take place after Princess Zelda from the future sent Link back the seven years that he skipped so he can regain his childhood and confront Princess Zelda, now with the new knowledge that he has gained from his adventure to stop Ganondorf from starting his plan in the first place. Ganondorf is later then executed and Majora's Mask then begins. However, the events preceding The Wind Waker weren't the events that were taking place when Link accidentally entered Termina, it's referring to the events after Princess Zelda sent Link back to his childhood, . While Link was on his way to meet up with the younger Princess Zelda and inform her of Ganondorf's true ambitions, the older Princess Zelda was witnessing the destruction of Hyrule when Ganondorf returned from the Sacred Realm and there wasn't a Hero of Time to saved them. These two events are happening at the same time and thus Majora's Mask doesn't necessarily show the destruction of Hyrule as that took place before or even at the same time Majora's Mask was taking place.

As for the timeline, may you explain what do you mean by the creation of a fourth timeline? Prior to Majora's Mask, Ganondorf was executed for treason against Hyrule was banished into the Sacred Realm once again. Between Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, Ganondorf did not effect the fate of Hyrule as he was sealed into the Sacred Realm, that is until Twilight Princess begins. This then leads me to ask another question? How or why would Link have to go into hiding if there was no evil in the land of Hyrule? If memory serves, [Ganondorf and] The Twili started to cause havoc across Hyrule after Link spent several moments of his life with the townspeople without any worries in his life except for maybe forgetting to take care of Epona and Ilia scolding at him for not doing so.

Now let's talk about Ravio. The reason why Ravio looks like Link is because he is his Lorule counterpart, not because he is related to the Happy Mask Also if Ravio was the Hero of Time, how did he enter Lorule in the first place yet when he heard about Hyrule he was in awe as if he didn't knew Hyrule existed at the time? Also another thing that I would like to point out was yes, Ravio was somewhat of a hero in Lorule, but he doesn't have any skills to pass down and eventually became a merchant. That's why we see him whenever we need to rent or buy our items from him because that's his lifestyle, a simply merchant who doesn't ask for much except to purchase his products. So in conclusion, Ravio and the Happy Mask Salesman are not the same person as both characters have separate qualities that makes each other themselves.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Yeah it'd be easier to tie the gear peddler from SS to the happy mask salesman than trying to do it with ravio... not trying to say that the gear peddler and the happy mask salesman are connected, I'm just saying at least that'd make more sense to try and do.

We all think that ALBW is a direct sequel to ALTTP. However, I feel otherwise. When discovering that Link between worlds had won an award, I started playing it again. Did anyone notice in the opening scene of Link's room, Majora's Mask is on the wall?
This got me thinking...
Is it possible that Ravio is the Happy Mask Salesman that we met in Ocarina and Majora, just wandering and wandering?
There are even more connections to Termina in the game, which I shall not delve into.
What do you guys think?

Sorry but no. Zelda games love referencing themselves. in fact I'm sure its not the only franchise that does :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom