• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Introducing someone to the series

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
As a fan of LoZ games, if someone asked you which game they should play as an introduction into the world of Zelda, which would you suggest? Would you tell them to play your personal favorite or maybe choose one of the games that you think best shows what the games are really about?

I think I would choose either A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time. Neither one of them are at the very top of my favorites list, but I think they are a good choice as someones first Zelda game. Both of them are really popular favorites and have good stories. My first Zelda game was ALttP and it's what got me hooked, so I feel like it could have the same affect on others. My personal favorites (Minish Cap, Link's Awakening, and Wind Waker) could be considered too 'different' as introduction into the world of Link, so I wouldn't want to suggest them since they're not everyone's cup of tea.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I agree but when my young niece wanted to play I started her off with minish cap because I think its a little easier for younger players. Even though thinking about it a lot us would have played OOT/ALTTP when we were pretty young lol

Roger Rad

The Fabulous One
You could try with Zelda1 on the NES mini. It's all retro so it might bring a good vibe.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I agree but when my young niece wanted to play I started her off with minish cap because I think its a little easier for younger players. Even though thinking about it a lot us would have played OOT/ALTTP when we were pretty young lol

That's an interesting point! The game you choose could depend on the person you're introducing to the series. I think Minish Cap would be one of the better games for a younger kid to start with. It's fairly easy, whimsical, and lots of fun.

Roger Rad

The Fabulous One
I introduced my lil' girl to the game which she refers to as 'Dragon Boat' <3
She usually enjoys letting Link drown. ;-;

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I'd say either Zelda 1, or Ocarina or Time.
Zelda 1 is the original, and as such would make a great start for any newcomer.
Ocarina of Time would also be great as it's one of, if not the best Zelda title.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Depends on what they want. If you're introducing them to 2D Zelda, the best places to start are the original for the NES or ALttP. If 3D is their thing, I'd say OoT is their best bet. But sometimes Wind Waker is also a good place to start due to how easy it is. It depends on what they want out of gaming in general.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
That's an interesting point! The game you choose could depend on the person you're introducing to the series. I think Minish Cap would be one of the better games for a younger kid to start with. It's fairly easy, whimsical, and lots of fun.
I've slowly introduced her to more of the handgeld titles again becuase I personally think they're easier and she really sucks at these games I think OOT would cause her brain to collapse even now she's older

For me it depends on the person, a serious gamer in their late 20's-30's probably ALTTP because it's widely regarded as one of the best games in history. Someone who is a teen or early 20's probably OoT or TP because they are a little closer to modern games with the 3D graphics and such. A younger kid I would definitely go with Minish Cap, as has been stated here before, easier, whimsical and cute.

I think A Link to the Past is the best intro.

It is widely considered one of the best games of all time. It is also in a way a suped-upped remake of Zelda 1. I love the original 2 NES games, but I recognize they are not terribly accessible to gamers with modern sensibilities. So A Link to the Past is as far back as you can go for most people, I would think.

Ocarina of Time is an excellent starting point. If they like it, delve into the timelines a bit with them and give them an idea about what the other games have to offer. Suggest that they do either MM, TP, WW, or SS next.

At that point, their curiosity should take care of the rest. Once they are hooked, they will want to visit the classics as well.

I've thought about this a lot trying to get my wife into the series. She's a non-gamer and prefers a cute style over a serious/realistic style, so I want to start her with the Wind Waker.

As others have said, I think it just depends on the person you're trying to get into it.

I would agree with a link to the past. I love the original but I think with so many games to choose from (I mean in general) it would be harder to get into the first Zelda. ALTTP has good gameplay and good story and pretty straightforward to progress without getting lost or stuck.

I think you need to start with a 2D Zelda beause of principle it was the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom