• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Inter Species Pairings...

Do you like this sort of thing?

• Yeah!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only if it's two related species(horse + donkey for example)

• I don't know.

• No never.

• Total voters

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Some random thing that popped into my head. An example of a franchise that does this is the classic Spyro trilogy, the original one made by Insomniac Games. The list literally goes on and on, for canon, we have Hunter the cheetah and Bianca the rabbit. She was apprenticing under the evil Sorceress, and was the one who stole the dragon eggs for her, only to switch sides later when she found out the Sorceress intended to kill all the baby dragons. He was on the good guys side from the beginning, having befriended Spyro before. He found her "cute when she's angry" and they developed a romantic interest in each other as the story went on. Other examples that appear in the games: a penguin and a fairy, a cat and a fairy, a bird and a "land blubber", creatures that look kind of like Jabba the Hut. There's a dragon and an armadillo in Shadow Legacy, not quite classic Spyro but close enough. For fan pairings, Spyro, a dragon, has been paired with Elora, a faun. Somebody even made a faun/dragon hybrid kid for them.

What's your opinion on this kind of thing? I've done it before in my original works, you can go to the writing forum here to meet Blazen the vampelf. But the thing is, vampires and elves are similar. They're both hominids/humanoids. But even so, Blazen is sterile like a hybrid should be. That's what happens in the real world, if two species are similar enough to crossbreed, the genetic differences that do exist will make their offspring unable to have offspring of its own.

I understand Spyro is a fantasy thing with magic though...the creator of the faun/dragon hybrid told me he was born magically. But still, despite loving Spyro to death, I find all those inter species pairings ridiculous.

Discuss.

As far as story telling goes, it makes sense if two sentient species pair up if that's what you mean. As far as having kids...well it's up to the author there. It is usually silly and unrealistic as even very alike species usually aren't able to breed but as far as a story telling mechanic there is nothing wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom