• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Industries you would like to see die out

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
What are some industries & practices you would like to see die out or can't believe they are still going?

I'll post the ones I can think of right now and might add to it:

Tat shops. Often located in holiday destinations these shops sell tacky items related to the area, rarely tasteful and I am doubtful they actually remind the purchaser of the good times they had there. I would never get someone a gift from such a place nor would I like to receive one.

Card shops. Most of the cards they sell are horrible with tacky designs poems or messages inside I don't know how these keep going. There is nothing personalised about them and they are so overpriced as well. I'm not against card sending as a practice especially if they are personalised for the recipient but I just don't get how these big card shops like Clinton's are still around on the high street selling their generic cards. Should have booths in the store where you can customise and print your own cards in my opinion.

Plastic bottles and food packaging. I am not surprised this is still going but would like to see it die out. Plastic pollution and litter is horrible in appearance and horrible for the environment. We are filled with microplastics already from all the partially degraded stuff in our water supplies which can cause hormonal disruption in humans and animals so I would much rather this practice ended sooner rather than later.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Enviromental protesters... is that an industry?? they complain but they dont try and solve the problem...and the criminal industry....

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Can the federal government count as an industry?

Anything that’s main selling point is its sex appeal. I shouldn’t really have to explain this one.

Also yeah, the card industry is horrible, but I’d take it a step further and say that cards in general just need to stop. We are in an age where you can say whatever you want to someone on the other side of the world by simply tapping on your phone for a few seconds. Even if that weren’t the case, 90% of the time the people who give you these cards are literally sitting across from you at a table. If you really want to say something sentimental to me, say it to my face dammit. Not that it really matters, because most of the time the only thing that these cards say are cookie-cutter single-sentence messages that mean close to nothing, and if they don’t they’re completely covered with the same exact message as last time from someone who doesn’t understand that cursive is not and has not ever been relevant in any practical situation in addition to the premade message. At that point why even bother buying anything? If you really want to send something physical over the mail then just make the damn card yourself, or better yet a letter. The card industry is a prime example of people pretending that just because something is traditional makes it automatically good.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Cards and souvenir shops. They're usually the same everywhere. Same concept, different countries/ cities. And most of the time there's more than 1 of the same. Usually 15+ in the same streets.
Also the food shops. It seems like every person in the street owns one

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Fox hunting with dogs. This is a practice mostly done by the upper and upper middle class here in the UK so not super widespread but I think it is an unnecessary cruel practice. I think if you need to cull foxes then it should be done with guns rather than having your dogs rip them up.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
oh boy....

anything that unnecessarily hurts animals, especially harmful testing that companies do on animals. Makeup industries do that kind of stuff and I hate it so much.
Anything that hurts people, like tobacco or drugs and stuff like that. Any industries that involve sex are often abusive and damaging and yeah
Sport hunting and fishing. Or hunting in general. There is no need in this day and age to go and kill animals who are just trying to live their lives in peace. It messes with the ecosystem too
And don't even get me started on the breeding industry

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Crypto isn’t good stuff by any sense of the word, it’s more like a Ponzi Scheme, and NFTs as well. Those things are awful.

If a person trusts the banks at this point after all their blunders and dodgy practices then I don't know what to say really. Decentralised finance is absolutely needed and blockchain technology can and will provide that. If for instance you have someone trying to flee from an authoritarian regime the regime may be able to block the person's bank account but their crypto will be safe.

To say crypto is a Ponzi scheme is a misguided statement unless you are saying the entire stock market is a Ponzi scheme. A lot of coins will have no future and lose their value even those with well meaning teams behind them, and of course there are actual scams out there too but this is not representative of crypto or blockchain in general nor does it diminish the usefulness of the technology.

NFT's are a big thing right now and some are making a big fuss of them and paying crazy money for NFT artwork which is not even very good (you have probably heard of those ugly bored apes) because it's a new and exciting way of buying digital art but do not forget people pay a lot of money for crappy physical art too. There's always the white canvas in the art gallery that represents the closed eyed polar bear in the snow or something.

Eventually I expect this tech to be implemented in many aspects of online gaming and services but I expect we simply won't know them as NFTs by that point. I personally don't make a bit deal of NFT's and I'm certainly not about to invest hundreds of thousands into speculative assets like digital art hoping the value will go up because in all likelihood the value is going to go down for this sort of thing. If celebrities want to waste their money on that just let them.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Not really in favor of ending most industries, but quite a few need some reforms, decentralization, fiscalization, etc.
But among the ones I'd want to see gone hmm...

On short run, Oil (and other fossil fuels/mineral extraction) industry and arms industry, definitely. Very atrocious industries that only still hold us back due to traditionalism, and have no goal other than fill certain big shots' pockets and hurt people, respectively.

On long term, animal husbandry. If science develops enough to the point we can produce certain stuff artificially there'll be no need to forcefully steal resources from/breed/slaughter some species, anything gathered from the could be more mutualistic. Plus it would massively reduce some social and ecological issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom