• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Improvements in SS Graphics in the GDC Trailer

I've watched the GDC Trailer over and over again. But still. These graphics doesen't look like a game from the year 2011. There are some improvements in the GDC Trailer, but the textures looks weak and the overall graphics looks somehow outdated. I know, we are talking about the good old Wii. But even Twilight Princess (2006) looks better in my opinion. The Wind Waker (2002) has still awesome graphics. Look how old this game is.

I completely agree. When I first saw what they were doing at E3 last year, I thought it looked nice as a concept. I was really excited to see what they would do with it. They said they were preparing 'gorgeous visuals', but come GDC it looks like they have barely touched anything. The concept is amazing, but so far it's been poorly executed.

Even with the HD trailer you guys discovered, I'm still not impressed. The general problem seems to be that there is a lack of detail. The textures are completely flat, and that makes everything look barren. I can only imagine what the game would look like with some nice bump maps.

I'm usually not so concerned about graphics, but this game has so much potential visually. I'd hate to see it go to waste. Either way, I'm sure the gameplay will be excellent.

Will there be improvement at this E3? I very much hope so.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
I understand that the lack of detail is on purpose to emulate impressionism, but my only gripe is that more attention could be added to the environments and animations. Moving flowers are cool, but it should look as beautiful as Mario Galaxy. And Link should move more fluidly than he does in TP- come on, this game is 60 FPS, right? They could do better. But it's not looking bad so far.

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
I've watched the GDC Trailer over and over again. But still. These graphics doesen't look like a game from the year 2011. There are some improvements in the GDC Trailer, but the textures looks weak and the overall graphics looks somehow outdated. I know, we are talking about the good old Wii. But even Twilight Princess (2006) looks better in my opinion. The Wind Waker (2002) has still awesome graphics. Look how old this game is.

I have to see more content. The upcoming E3 and the retail version will finally end this story. I hope I'm wrong and the graphics will fascinate me.

In my honest opinion, the textures in Twilight Princess were very ugly and didn't look very good. I don't see how the graphics look outdated, if anything they look fresh and beautiful. The painting like atmosphere brings the game to life, more so than any other Zelda game before it.

I don't know, I guess I just can't see why everyone enjoys TP's graphics so darn much, but we all have different opinions I guess.

I understand that the lack of detail is on purpose to emulate impressionism...

This is a big misconception. Impressionism is in no way related to a lack of detail. Most impressionist paintings show a fair deal of detail. The paint daubs technique does not control the amount of detail added to a piece.

SS's textures do emulate paint strokes. When viewing a screenshot, one might think they were looking at a painting. The problem comes when the game is in motion. At different angles, the player can tell that the textures are completely flat.This makes the environment look unbelievable. I think that bump mapped grass and cracks in rocks would make a big difference.

Another thing that is bothering me:
zelda_skyward_sword4.jpg

Does anyone else think it looks like Link is somewhat floating over the ground? The difference between the crispness of his model and the blurriness of the grass texture makes it look like he was pasted into the screen. A darker shadow under his feet would probably help.

This is a big misconception. Impressionism is in no way related to a lack of detail. Most impressionist paintings show a fair deal of detail. The paint daubs technique does not control the amount of detail added to a piece.

SS's textures do emulate paint strokes. When viewing a screenshot, one might think they were looking at a painting. The problem comes when the game is in motion. At different angles, the player can tell that the textures are completely flat.This makes the environment look unbelievable. I think that bump mapped grass and cracks in rocks would make a big difference.

Another thing that is bothering me:
zelda_skyward_sword4.jpg

Does anyone else think it looks like Link is somewhat floating over the ground? The difference between the crispness of his model and the blurriness of the grass texture makes it look like he was pasted into the screen. A darker shadow under his feet would probably help.

I think a lot of these problems, especially with Link in the picture, are just due to the fact that last E3's showing was
still work-in-progress. Nintendo was still working full-time on the game at the time, and that shows in the graphics.
All of those visual problems with textures and whatnot are things that shouldn't ever be a problem in any game, let alone a Nintendo game,
let alone a ZELDA game. I think we can all agree that everything will be fine when the game comes out. People tend to forget the amount
of polish and time that's put in a Zelda game, it's basically Nintendo's 'core' franchise.

I think a lot of these problems, especially with Link in the picture, are just due to the fact that last E3's showing was
still work-in-progress. Nintendo was still working full-time on the game at the time, and that shows in the graphics.
All of those visual problems with textures and whatnot are things that shouldn't ever be a problem in any game, let alone a Nintendo game,
let alone a ZELDA game. I think we can all agree that everything will be fine when the game comes out. People tend to forget the amount
of polish and time that's put in a Zelda game, it's basically Nintendo's 'core' franchise.

Of course it's still in progress, I just found it strange that almost nothing changed in half a years time. Hopefully all the change took place after GDC till now.

I don't doubt Nintendo's craftsmanship, it's just a little unnerving given the small amount of information we have received over the past year. There is a reason they have kept the lid on SS so far, and I can't wait to see what they have for us at E3.

Of course it's still in progress, I just found it strange that almost nothing changed in half a years time. Hopefully all the change took place after GDC till now.

I don't doubt Nintendo's craftsmanship, it's just a little unnerving given the small amount of information we have received over the past year. There is a reason they have kept the lid on SS so far, and I can't wait to see what they have for us at E3.

I don't think we've actually seen enough of the game since E3 to talk about improvements (or lack thereof).
One 1 minute trailer with extremely varying video quality is not enough material to consider.

I don't think we've actually seen enough of the game since E3 to talk about improvements (or lack thereof).
One 1 minute trailer with extremely varying video quality is not enough material to consider.

There is a ton of Demo footage from E3 last year, and IGN has the HD version of the second trailer. That is enough to compare. Is it a perfect comparison? No, but it's safe to say there weren't any major visual improvements up until GDC.

since so many people said (and still do) that there not getting the game, or they have given up on Zelda just because of the bright colours.
o_O
Seriously? I didn't know about that!

What kind of fool would give up on Zelda because of the graphics? And by the way, I like colorful graphics much more than dark ones. I liked it better when SS used stronger colors. Well, no real problem with the new pallet since it's only a little bit more dark. I like my games the way I like my garden: colorful and vivid. :yes::cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom