• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild If you could pick a composer for Zelda U?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Whoever was the composer was for Xenoblade Chronicles X did an amazing job, I'd get him.
Hiroyuki Sawano would be an amazing choice for a steampunk or dystopian future Zelda title, but far as the typical fantasy goes it wouldn't normally be in his comfort zone. Who knows, maybe he could pull it off with a Celtic improvisation. Sawano's strong point is orchestra/choir with electronic undertones, though.

Go Shiina has a pretty similar style to Sawano and is famous for composing for the God Eater series and a few Tales of X games as well. Because he has bit more experience with game music, I think he'd be a better fit for the job; I'd also love for him to write music for a Xeno- title.

If my first choice of Skrillex wasn't used. Nobuo Uematsu would be my next choice. I like his work on the Final Fantasy series. The SSBB main theme and The Last Story.
Uematsu is an okay composer, overall, but he does have some good soundtracks (LTS is a favorite of mine, too). However, I can't shake the feeling that his compositions are generally overrated. But beyond that, his strong point is fantasy so he might pull of Zelda pretty well. A collaboration between him and Koji Kondo would be awesome.

As far as Final Fantasy goes, FF XIII-2 had the best soundtrack to date, even if the game itself was garbage. Uematsu only composed a handful of tracks but I think that was for the better of it. Listening to a blend of techno, orchestral, and vocal pieces in the background of varied environments made the experience extremely pleasing. Although I haven't played the game myself, the playthrough videos really want me to try it out.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Sawano's strong point is orchestra/choir with electronic undertones, though.

And that's why I think he'll do a good job. Running through the various over-worlds in XCX felt so good. Given there are giant mechanical spiders shooting laser beams in Zelda U, I don't think people will be trippin' over the electric undertones in his music.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I would not want Sawano to compose on a Zelda game.... That's like making Yoko Shimomura compose for a Metroid game.

Sawano also lacks a certain level of polish regarding video game ost's.... Which is pretty understandable, since X was his first one. For example, Sawano doesn't make music that properly loops. It also very much doesn't fit his style.

Though speaking of Shimomura, I think she would be a great fit for the style of Zelda U. I could just totally see myself battling an enemy to this:

And exploring Hyrule to this:

sivelki

Ancient Automaton
David Wise + Koji Kondo

Imagine Zelda U having this song for a snowy mountain filled with enemies...

I dont think anyone has mentioned him yet but I'd pick Motoi Sakuraba.

He's the guy who did the music for Golden Sun and the Tales series. I'm a big fan and he is certainly capable of giving Zelda U a great soundtrack.

Going off of Zelda U's little piano flourish, as the Beamos chases Link, the tone kind of reminds me a little of the Tales of Graces soundtrack, I cant link it here but for anyone interested in my opinion (ha!) youtube the credits theme for Tales of Graces.

And let me know what you think of my choice of Motoi Sakuraba.

Would the old reliable Koji Kondo still want to do it? If so that'd be my choice.

I don't know if he and David Wise could work together. Kindo usually goes for the more serious tone in his work. David Wise on the other hand tends to have more free spirited fun compositions. That is probably because the games he works on are mire light hearted in nature.

But . . . you could set them both up with the challenge of working together and finding a more compromising style that would work for a Zelda game.

David Wise + Koji Kondo

Imagine Zelda U having this song for a snowy mountain filled with enemies...

This I don't think works my my opinion. But it could be edited to make work. There ate two totally different layers here. The first starts of very serious. Then you have the second much more light hearted later coming in. Zelda games don't really mix their light hearted and more serious moments together. They are pretty separate. I will say though that, that is a great base to work with. That could be worked with to make something sounfing amazing.

Ryo Nagamatsu.
He has truly proven himself to be Kondo's true successor.

His track record, both on Zelda and off is amazing.
He did the soundtrack for Mario Galaxy 2
He did the very unique Soundtracks for Nintendoland and Mariokart 8.

He made one of the best Zelda soundtracks ever in A Link Between Worlds. He also did Triforce Heroes.

He really is the perfect guy for the job. And is truly revolutionary just like Kondo was.
I do think he would do an amazing job as well. KOndo can't be around for ever. Nintendo needs someone new to take over. It looks like this bloke is already taking over in certain respects. I think he'd be a great choice too.

If I was do pick a famous modern composer/music maker from the music scene to take part also, I'd probably pick Chris Lowe. He's done his electro styled pop music obviously. But he's also done musicals and other things as well. I think it'd be a totally different durection musically for a Zelda game but if done well it'd work. Not sure how the more stubborn Zelda fans would take to it though. It would be a one off though as he is too old to do multiple games, you need someone much younger to be a mainstay for Nintendo.

KTep

Picori_Kev1n
I would pick anyone who has the potential to be a great videogame composer for Zelda. As long as they love to produce soundtrack for the game, have creativity, has the skills the create music, it does not matter to me if they have a college degree or not. Im open to anything that is new.

Most famous music composer produced a lot of bad music when they started creating something original for their first time. The reason they became famous is because they have the determination & is not easily discouraged when their are not having any success. The earlier a person starts creating music the better.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
There's an absolute 0% chance of either composer doing this, but I'd love to see what Marty O'Donnel or Grant Kirkhope would come up with for a Zelda game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom