• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If Nintendo let other developers do Zelda again, who would it be?

Okay, the other day I was playing me some Oracle of Seasons on Switch (which makes me happy to do but also sad to realize we won't get a remake like Link's Awakening did). Recalling that Capcom made the Oracle games, as well as Four Swords and Minish Cap, I also noticed those are the only "canon" titles.
By canon I mean they start with "The Legend of Zelda" and aren't treated as spin-offs. Meaning, Hyrule Warriors, Tingles games and Cadence of Hyrule aren't counted.

So... obvious things have changed since Minish Cap. When it came to Zelda by other developers, they're either remakes, remasters or spin-off titles. This is... not really a problem. However, I can't help but wonder what would happen if Nintendo decided to collaborate with another developer to make a Zelda game.

"Now, why would they do that now?" You may wonder...
Well, I have at least one idea as to why they might consider the idea again in recent years.

The development of Zelda games.

Skyward Sword came out in 2011, Breath of the Wild in 2017. Between then, we had A Link Between Worlds and Wind Waker HD in 2013, Majora's Mask 3D and Tri Force Heroes in 2015, and end that with Twilight Princess HD in 2016.

In the wait for Tears of the Kingdom in 2023, we had... Link's Awakening's Switch remake in 2019 and Skyward Sword HD in 2021.

Yes, I know I didn't mention Hyrule Warriors, Cadence of Hyrule, NSO releases or guest appearances in stuff like Smash, but for the purposes of this, we're only focusing on proper Zelda titles.

So... with that said, while we wait to see the DLC Tears of the Kingdom may get, that also got me wondering... how long would it take for the next title?
Switch 2 or Super Switch or whatever we're gonna call the next console is inching closer. We will obviously get Zelda for it... but... consider how the main 3D games spent 6 years in development. Obviously, there were members for the two 3DS titles, but most of the staff were working on the Wild games, which also had assets and other parts of development with people like Monolith Soft.

So, I imagine, since we don't have any recent 3D titles in need of being remade at the moment (MAYBE A Link Between Worlds but I doubt that), Nintendo would want to do something to keep us occupied. This would be a good opportunity to reach out to other developers to make something for us in the meantime. Granted, it will likely be a spin-off game or something... but for optimism's sake, let's assume they'll want to make another top down game. And they decide to reach out to other developers for a jab. Who would you pick personally if they could make an installment for Zelda?

For me? I'm gonna say... Square Enix.
Yes, I know they've done some... less than ideal things in recent years I won't get into here. But, I won't like, I really enjoy the visuals of the HD 2D games they've released like Octopath Traveler and the Live A Live remake.
I know not everyone is really into the HD 2D look, but part of me really thinks it'd be kind of cool to see Link and Zelda in that style. Maybe a remake of 2D games, or maybe something new, which I'm somewhat more in favor of.

I don't know. Anyway... how about you?
If Nintendo decided to let another developer take a crack at a new installment, who?
Doesn't even have to be a third party like I said with Square Enix, it can be another developer with Nintendo like Retro or Next Level.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'd give it to Obsidian. They've got a solid reputation as a developer that can be handed the keys to other franchises and then produce the very best entry in that series. They're the minds behind stuff like Fallout: New Vegas, Knights of the Old Republic 2, Pillars of Eternity, and Alpha Protocol. My only worry would be Nintendo attempting to clamp down on Obsidian's writing style.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
my mind always lands on Game Atelier who did Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, specifically for a Zelda 2 remake but heck, I'm sure they can manage an original top down game too, I just think the visual style of that game can make a good transition for something that fits Zelda

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom