• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I Seriously Think Donkey Kong 64 Is The Most Underrated Game Ever

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
When you hear about the best N64 games, you will usually hear Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Golden Eye, Banjo Kazooie, and others come up, and rightfully so! Each of those titles are amazing, but one game you never hear much about is DK64. I don't know about you guys, but to me it is one of the greatest games Rare ever created and one of the best games ever. What do you guys think?

I agree here, maybe no the most underrated ever but certainly underrated, a lot of content was crowbarred into the game that its stil pretty impressive even now and I enjoyed it a little more than Banjo-Kazooie which got repetitive after a few levels. It was also pretty cool to see DK in 3D throwing grenade oranges and shooting coconut cannons, its a shame that he has only done the 3D adventure thing once.

Snoober

I agree here, maybe no the most underrated ever but certainly underrated, a lot of content was crowbarred into the game that its stil pretty impressive even now and I enjoyed it a little more than Banjo-Kazooie which got repetitive after a few levels. It was also pretty cool to see DK in 3D throwing grenade oranges and shooting coconut cannons, its a shame that he has only done the 3D adventure thing once.

I have to agree. The saddest part is since the game wasn't a major success, it gives Nintendo little incentive to ever make another 3D DK.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Oh, I miss playing Donkey Kong 64, it is my favorite out of the DK series and it annoys me that it's not been made available for current consoles. Of course, I could still play it on my N64, but my controller is worn down and is downright painful to play with right now.

I wholeheartedly agree it's very underrated. When they announced there were to be a DK game for the Wii I was looking forward to the playing style of DK64, so imagine my huge disappointment that it instead paid a homage to the SNES games, don't get me wrong, I love those games, too, but DK64 was the best one, the most fun game to play. It annoys me to no end that they just forgot all about it :(

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Oh I disagree, other games like Banjo Tooie and Glover are far more underrated...but DK64 is definitely the most underrated DK game if nothing else.

Snoober

Oh, I miss playing Donkey Kong 64, it is my favorite out of the DK series and it annoys me that it's not been made available for current consoles. Of course, I could still play it on my N64, but my controller is worn down and is downright painful to play with right now.

I wholeheartedly agree it's very underrated. When they announced there were to be a DK game for the Wii I was looking forward to the playing stile of DK64, so imagine my huge disappointment that it instead paid a homage to the SNES games, don't get me wrong, I love those games, too, but DK64 was the best one, the most fun game to play. It annoys me to no end that they just forgot all about it :(

Yeah:[ I agree. I heard they removed the SNES DK titles... so it looks even worse than ever for Nintendo to ever release DK64 as a VC game. Plus, now they are just rereleasing titles on Wii U that have been out for years on Wii's VC... so I doubt it will be sooner rather than later that DK64 gets the respect it deserves.

Hanyou

didn't build that
It had lots of content, but the content wasn't all that great.

I think Donkey Kong 64 takes what was fun about Banjo-Kazooie and makes it much less fun. Most of the characters are painfully slow-moving, for example, and motion is one of the most important elements of a platformer. I think it also has too much required content--if I remember, you can't even reach the ending of the game until you collect every golden banana (correct me if I'm wrong). Finally, there are tons of arbitrary restrictions. Why can't I just collect all of the regular bananas with all of the characters? The game is an exercise in tedium, and fails in gameplay, the most important department. Nothing about it was fluid, and the levels themselves, while fun to explore at times, were ruined the the unnecessary restrictions.

A far more underrated game is Jet Force Gemini. It had some of the same problems as DK64 (you have to collect everything to beat the game, for instance), but the basic gameplay was much, much better, and the barriers placed in different characters' ways never felt quite so arbitrary as magically disappearing bananas.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well, that's good news.

It doesn't solve the game's worst problems, but I guess I invented an additional problem to pile on. What's weird is I could've sworn I've heard somewhere that you need every banana to finish the game.

You get a special extra after the ending and if you get the 201st, you get cheats, but the last gate seen in game requires 100.

Deeds

no text
Man, this game brings back memories. That boss battle mode, and the multiplayer was so fun. DK64 is definitely underrated, but I wouldn't say the most underrated game. For the N64, Star Wars: Episode I Racer is more underrated, I'd say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom