• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrulian or Hylian?

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
Well, I've always thought it was Hylian, and so do many other members here do think it is Hylian, not Hyrulian too. But now I'm quite confused, fora few reasons.

I was playing Phantom Hourglass on my three heart run, and I noticed at the start of the game, when it was telling the events before Phantom Hourglass it said something about Zelda being a Hyrulian (yes, it did say Hyrulian) Princess.

Isn't it Hylian? Or is it perhaps Hyrulian? Did Nintendo make a mistake here, or do you perhaps think it can be either Hylian or Hyrulian.

Does it say somewhere in another game "Hylian", why yes, it does. In Ocarina of Time, after you beat the Forest Temple, and after you get out of the Chamber of Sages, you'll be taken to the new Deku Tree, it will then be revealed that Link is HYLIAN.

So fellow Zelda Theorists and fans, which do you think it is, Hylian, Hyrulian or both? Remember that Phantom Hourglass was made after Ocarina of Time, so maybe Nintendo changed it. What other times does it say Hylian/Hyrulean/Hyrulian?

Last edited:

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
This is a quote I found on zeldawiki:

"The term "Hylian" generally refers to a member of the Hylian race, as opposed to "Hyrulean", which refers to any inhabitant of Hyrule."

It makes sense I believe.

(But they actually say Hyrulean whereas you mentioned Hyrulian. Maybe you found something new after all? Some time has passed since I played through PH myself and my memory is not excellent)

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
This is a quote I found on zeldawiki:

"The term "Hylian" generally refers to a member of the Hylian race, as opposed to "Hyrulean", which refers to any inhabitant of Hyrule."

It makes sense I believe.

(But they actually say Hyrulean whereas you mentioned Hyrulian. Maybe you found something new after all? Some time has passed since I played through PH myself and my memory is not excellent)

Well, that's quite interesting. Also, sorry about misspelling it Hyrulian as opposed to Hyrulean before, I fixed that. >_<
Edit: It reads Hyrulian in PH.

But of course, Tetra/Zelda was a member of the Hylian race.

Edit: Anybody have a spare Phantom Hourglass save slot? Could you please use that to check if it was Hyrulean or Hyrulian?
Edit2: Nevermind, here is what it reads:
The evil king sought the sacred power passed down to the Hyrulian Princess.
Wow, so it says Hyrulian in there.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
When I think about it Hyrulian must be the pluralis of Hyrulean. It must be a grammatical thing. Or am I wrong? It seems reasonable at least :)

EDIT:

Aso, my file (I started one) said Hyrulian Princesses.

This is what I posted in the other thread about TMC. It is valid for PH too, as it comes after TWW and, imo, before LttP, so I'll just paste it here :P

2. The lack of the word "Hylian":

As we all know, the Hylia (or the Hylians, sometimes) are a tribe of humans (hylians are humans, as proven in TP) that inhabited the plains of Hyrule, aka "Hyrule Field" (this is written i the hylian text in the introduction of TWW), in the pre-flooded Hyrule and in the CT. In OoT, members of that tribe are called hylians all the time. In TP, though Link is referred to as human several times, the word hylian is also used several times during the game. Now, an interesting fact is that TMC does not use the word "hylian" any time during the events of the game. This is a good connection to another zelda game: LttP. If you remember well, in LttP, we hear that the Hylia are an extinct people. Some characters (like Link and Zelda, for example) descend from the hylians, but it is stated as a fact that, by the time of LttP, the hylian tribe is no longer. LttP only refers to the inhabitants of Hyrule as "Hyrulians" (sometimes referred to as "Hyruleans"), or "Humans", just as the people are referred to in TMC.

So, we have TMC coming between OoT and LttP, as the hylians cease to exist as a tribe before LttP and are depicted as such in TMC. But what does that have to do with TWW? Pretty simple, TWW gives us a reason to why the Hylians are no longer a tribe: the flood. The Great Flood dispersed the hylian people. They spread all over the Great Sea and colonized several islands, maybe even breeding with other human tribes to create even new populations. So they are no longer one single tribe, though they are still ethnic hylians (they are still referred to as "Hylians" in TWW). I can give several RL examples to elp people understand what I mean here. For example, most Germans descend from Prussians, but they are not Prussians, as the Kingdom of Prussia no longer exists (not even as a part of Germany, as Prussia used to be located where Poland is now). Another good example is that, even though many Lebanese people have phoenician blood in their veins, they are not phoenician, as that people is considered extinc (again, as a tribe/nation, not as an ancestral ethnicity) now. It is the same case in LttP, some Hyrulians (like Link, Zelda etc.) have hylian ancestry, but are not hylians, as the old hylian tribe spread and merged with other human populations, as shown in TWW (I'd even go as far as saying that the new "Hyrulian" people, from LttP and TMC, are actually one of the new tribes formed by the mixture of the hylians with other native populations, like the Wind Tribe, for example). In TMC, we see that the Hylians are no longer a human tribe. Therefore it should come between TWW and LttP.

post: http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showpost.php?p=54225&postcount=16
thread: http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4178

H

Hero0fTimeLink

I think its Hyrulian because I think Hyrulian is the same of the people and the reason why they call it Hylian Shield is because the Hyrulians made it? idk i just think that =P

B

blhand26

I think Hylian sounds better but that's just me. It could be both Hyrulian and Hylian, depending on how you use it in the sentence. IDK I'm not and expert.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I like the sound of Hylian better as well, but I see how Hyrulian (sp?) works to encompass any resident of Hyrule. Therefore, a Goron living in Hyrule could be a Hyrulian, but he would not be Hylian, because he's not part of the Hylian race.

B

blhand26

Ahhhh! I get it now. That makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out.
:):):)

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
I like the sound of Hylian better as well, but I see how Hyrulian (sp?) works to encompass any resident of Hyrule. Therefore, a Goron living in Hyrule could be a Hyrulian, but he would not be Hylian, because he's not part of the Hylian race.

I like this the best. So if a create lived in Hyrule, say like Deku Scrub, it'd be Hyrulian, but not Hylian? As if Hylians could only be humans? (Humans as in living people like Link and Zelda)

But that makes some people, such as Link and Zelda (in most games anyway), both Hylian and Hyrulian? ...or not?

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
Yes. I agree with basement24.
A Hyrulian, is an inhabitant of the vast plains of hyrule.
A Hylian, is a descendant from the ancient race of hylians (probably the first people ever to inhabit hyrule field.)

So Link and Zelda are Hylians where as a random person, say.... ah no mind blank.... Anju the cucco lady, would be a Hyrulian.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I've always just said Hylian. To me, people living in Hyrule are Hylian. If someone moves to Hyrule, then they are not a Hyrulian, they are a whatever place they from ian. ;)

If I move to France, I don't become French do I? I'm still English.

So yeah. Thats what I think. Its either Hylian or Hyrulian, but not both. :P

I think it's Hylian.

Last edited:
G

Gannypoo

I believe that Hylian is their species and Hyrulian is an inhabitant of Hyrule. We are all Earthlings since we live on earth. If we colonized Mars and I moved there and had a kid. That kid would be would still be Human, he would also be a Marshin. Just as if a Klingon couple moved and had a child that child would be an earthling but not human.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
My Theory:

Hyrulean = Inhabitant or citzen of Hyrule, regardless of race - thus Zoras and Gorons are technically Hyruleans. It is like me = American, it doesn't matter what race I am, I am a citizen of the U.S.A.

Hylian = A particular race, traits being long, pointed ears and magic-infused blood (whether individuals actually engage in magic or not). In this way, I see many of the inhabitants of say, Termina, as being technically "Hylian." It is like me = Caucasian/White. It has no bearing on me being an American, nor vice versa.

Humans = A species to which both "normal" round-eared humans and Hylians belong. Given that Link is called a human quite a lot in TP, it leads me to believe that humans and Hylians belong to the same species, just that Hylians are something of a sub-species or race. It is kind of like how I, being White, and an Asian person and a Black person are all humans, though we each have some differing physical traits. I tend to think of the Gerudo as a subclass belonging to humans, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom