• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hylia's Purpose

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Japanese mythology, seeing how Zelda is made in Japan

He meant that Hylians are different from regular humans
Good point...but it feels more like western medieval. People aren't wearing rice hats, there are no samurais, etc. I guess it doesn't really matter what mythology we use as an example though...

The only difference is the ears, they would still be 70% water...

Good point...but it feels more like western medieval. People aren't wearing rice hats, there are no samurais, etc. I guess it doesn't really matter what mythology we use as an example though...
Skyward Sword...

No no... there are actually many differences between "humans" and Hylians... aside from the ears. Most of said differences aren't readily apparent, however. Most of these differences are spread sparsely across several games. Something that is often mentioned is the notion that Hylians possess magic and can hear the voices of the gods. Now, whether this is to be taken literally is another topic altogether...

Differences...

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Quadriforce Theory! Quadriforce Theory!! See? See!! She's that fourth piece of the Triforce!! The one that goes in the center! It's that little triangle on the bottom of the Hylian Shield see? See!!

Also the Goddess of Random Meaningless Plot Devices.

T

Triforceholder

Quadriforce Theory! Quadriforce Theory!! See? See!! She's that fourth piece of the Triforce!! The one that goes in the center! It's that little triangle on the bottom of the Hylian Shield see? See!!

Shigeru Miyamoto god of Zelda and Deity of Video games has publicly renounced the fourth triforce and as proof removed the triangle from the shield. It might have been a concept in the early games but if it was then it's been long since abandoned. Even if it did exist there are a lot more likly candidates as well as the fact that Hylia fighting in her divine form could only barly seal Demise away not kill him. She clearly doesn't have enough power to ocupy a piece of the triforce. Also it's Tetraforce not Quadraforce not that it matters.

No no... there are actually many differences between "humans" and Hylians... aside from the ears. Most of said differences aren't readily apparent, however. Most of these differences are spread sparsely across several games. Something that is often mentioned is the notion that Hylians possess magic and can hear the voices of the gods. Now, whether this is to be taken literally is another topic altogether...

Differences...

Even with magic and a connection to the goddesses they should still have enough bio resemblance to normal humans to share our basic bio mechanical makeup. In other words they should still be 70% water.

Now to whoever said that the other two goddesses had an equal claim to water well it's possible that the three created it together. In my opinion though Din created just the planet. The physical form made from rock not any of it's features not life or water. Naryu was shown creating the atmosphere but the text said that she created the laws of the land, laws of physics. Farore was the one to create a real world off of her sisters started work. Kind of like when you steal the beginning of your essay off of your older brothers old one.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
To people who are using the "Hylians have water" arguement...

while i don't believe that Hylia created water in Hyrule, Twilight Princess says (or rather hints) that the original three did not create Hylians. Legend says they created the beings who created the Hylians. This could be Hylia, but it's hard to tell with Nintendo and their whole "forgetting continuity" thing.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
To people who are using the "Hylians have water" arguement...

while i don't believe that Hylia created water in Hyrule, Twilight Princess says (or rather hints) that the original three did not create Hylians. Legend says they created the beings who created the Hylians. This could be Hylia, but it's hard to tell with Nintendo and their whole "forgetting continuity" thing.

It was said that the Oocca made the Hylians in Twilight Princess, however this was merely a miss translation....The real translation was that the Oocca formed or founded the land of Hyrule and that they are the closest race to the Gods.

Last edited:

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Yeah...there is some eastern mythology references in SS and maybe a few other games, but compare it to say, Okami. Haven't actually played Okami, but I'm willing to bet it's full of eastern mythology. Where as Zelda is a mixture of a lots of different mythologies, eastern, egyptian, etc.

I actually think the rounded eared "humans" are hylians themselves. I made a thread awhile back where I said the ear shape is genetics, rounded is a recessive gene. The hearing the gods' voices thing is an old legend, and magic...how many common hylians do you see actually using it? Link is special, so is Zelda/Sheik. While hylians can learn magic, they're generally not as skilled with it as say, twilis. But that's a whole other debate...

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah...there is some eastern mythology references in SS and maybe a few other games, but compare it to say, Okami. Haven't actually played Okami, but I'm willing to bet it's full of eastern mythology. Where as Zelda is a mixture of a lots of different mythologies, eastern, egyptian, etc.

I actually think the rounded eared "humans" are hylians themselves. I made a thread awhile back where I said the ear shape is genetics, rounded is a recessive gene. The hearing the gods' voices thing is an old legend, and magic...how many common hylians do you see actually using it? Link is special, so is Zelda/Sheik. While hylians can learn magic, they're generally not as skilled with it as say, twilis. But that's a whole other debate...

Well actually after the events of Skyward Sword it was said that all Hylians were born with magic infused blood that gave them a mysterious power as well as pointy ears to hear messages from the gods.

As to why the power got diminished over time, I think that in A Link to the Past it was said that the this bloodline of the Goddess that gave the Hylians these distinct abilities was lost due to the "Imprisoning War". So it may be said that the Hylians were once as whole powerful but thsi may have been lost though time and war.

Fiery Klongo

I Am Mardric
This may look short and ridiculous, but my personal belief is that Hylia is a demi-god. Not like Percy Jackson or Myths, but a goddess with most, but not all, control over the world. She could be killed and she
Created Zelda's whole family tree
when thee demons attacked the land. The goddesses have given me reason to believe that they would keep a sentinel over the land.

I added a spoiler in the passage because I didn't want to spoil anything, but really anyone on the theory thread should have read Hyrule Historia.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
It's more likely she has no defined role. We see in OoT that Nayru, Farore, and Din created the world. I suppose the best Hylia could have done was to create the Hylian people. It's likely they saw her as creator and protector. She was there guardian. Then she turned herself into a mortal, and her power would have lived on through her line. That may be how the magic power of Zelda and her connection to the gods is explained. In TP, OoT, and even MM she's got an apparent knowledge of magic and the gods and the skill. This is undoubtedly the power of Hylia passing down the generations and protecting Hyrule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom