• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hylain Language

K

Kasxtanju

I found this constructed language here Kasuto.net: Hylian Language Institute . It seems that this Hylain language was never completed, though most of it's essential vocabulary and grammar are complete. Are there any language nerds out there who would like to help me finish it's construction? (for personal, non-copyright breaking purposes of course). I enjoy languages for their own right and I'm not sure why someone else might want to actually use it, but it would be fun to use in fanfiction and within the forums and Zelda fan community. The vocabulary seems to be derived loosely from Latin, Arabic and German (probably among others I which I am not familiar with). Grammar wise it seems to be Esperanto like, however it does have some strange linguistic qualities that do make it unique. What do y'all think of this?

K

Kasxtanju

That person had quite a lot of free time on their hands...

One would think so, but then it doesn't actually take that long (Well that depends :D ) to make a constructed language, especially when it is minimalistic. They are however no fun for me, unless there are other people who might have fun using them. Are there any good websites where I might find some other people who would find this particular conlang interesting?

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kasxtanju

I actually never thought about this! Kudos to the person who came up with it.

But I dont think it would be a good idea to use it in fanfics. Whoever reads the fanfic would have to read the language's rules first...

I don't mean to write the fanfics themselves in the language, just to incorporate parts of the language into the stories to give them more character, in a similar manner to the Lord of the Rings and Sindarin. Being an artificial language I would hope that it would be more fun to learn than challenging. The only thing is to find a few to people who would enjoy working on it.

S

ShadowLink

Ug! My hand hurts! I just copied all the letters! UG! I'll do the numbers tomorrow... thanks for the link!!! :D

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I don't mean to write the fanfics themselves in the language, just to incorporate parts of the language into the stories to give them more character, in a similar manner to the Lord of the Rings and Sindarin.
Yeah, but think about it. If that's the only language they have in Hyrule, even if the narrative is in English or whatever, the characters would speak in Hylian, and the author would constantly have to translate. This would work better if we assume this language is an ancient one like Latin in our world. Old texts would be written in it, and there would be people who could read them, but everybody would speak the more modern language(the language the fanfic is written in)for the most part.

K

Kasxtanju

Yeah, but think about it. If that's the only language they have in Hyrule, even if the narrative is in English or whatever, the characters would speak in Hylian, and the author would constantly have to translate. This would work better if we assume this language is an ancient one like Latin in our world. Old texts would be written in it, and there would be people who could read them, but everybody would speak the more modern language(the language the fanfic is written in)for the most part.

True, true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom