• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How would you change the overworld for BotW2?

Aonuma said he wanted to revisit BotW's Hyrule for the sequel, yet most of the locations we saw in the trailer were new.

It isn't clear if the Hyrule in BotW will be completely reused in BotW2 but if it is how would you change it?

ALBW reused ALttP's overworld with minor changes, would your changes to BotW2's Hyrule be minor or would you make major changes?

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Personally, I'd like to see how reconstruction efforts are coming along. It looked as if the shrines and towers and pillars of sheikah tech are all gone now, so I have to wonder what happened to them, as well. I would love to see a Hyrule that's starting to flourish again after the Calamity has been defeated.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
1) Start over.

2) Build the content first. And then build the world as needed. No more. No mass expanses of empty space that gives the player nothing to do. No lazy copy/pasted content in a desperate attempt to fill an overworld that's way too big for it.

3) Make it feel like a world, not a generic landscape. Give us history, lore, and unique characters to discover.

4) Make the rewards worthwhile and unique.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Personally, I'd like to see how reconstruction efforts are coming along. It looked as if the shrines and towers and pillars of sheikah tech are all gone now, so I have to wonder what happened to them, as well. I would love to see a Hyrule that's starting to flourish again after the Calamity has been defeated.
I think this would be interesting. Let us see Hyrule rebuilt and thriving. I think it'd be cool to even see some new towns and stuff. I'd also maybe considering adding some new areas to explore beyond Hyrule. I could only see that happening though if we have fast travel pretty much from the start.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I have a thriving fantasy in my head that the castle are gonna get torn into the sky and then it's gonna create this big hole in the ground and all the water will dry ut because it's gonna go down the bottomless hole and there will be rifts and stuff appearing and we will get to go down this massive underground network than I

That, and then the majority of other parts of hyrule will be 'rebuilt', like we would se .. not castle town, but the fortresses and villages in Hyrule Field be rebuilt, as well as Akkala, which will be populated again now that Tarrey Town is growing. Just my 2 cents !

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I want to see Hyrule as the polar opposite of what it was as pretty much everyone has mentioned already. Everything that was destroyed, I want to see rebuilt and populated. Stuff like Lon Lon Ranch and Castle Town. I want to see Tarrey Town expanded as well as new villages and more populated areas now that people don't have to worry about Guardians roaming around.

But more than anything else, I want the world to open up in ways that make you see the first game differently. For instance, underwater exploration could lead to the discovery of a new dungeon or village. The Eighth Heroine statue could be hiding a secret base, treasure, or dungeon. Mekar Island could now have a bridge leading to it and destroying the tree could reveal a dungeon underneath like in the original game. Things that don't necessarily alter the world, but add to it in ways that doesn't break continuity with the first game.

On the trailer it looked like the base of Hyrule castle was collapsing so we may be able to do some exploring there. However if something of that scale is going to shift then it could definitely shake up the rest of the world as well.
Possibly lower the body of water towards Eventide Island or empty out death mountain crater for some catacombs.
TBH though the world was so big and so much to explore, if we get a new set of powers it would probably just be fun to run around it again.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
BoTW 1 had all these locations which effort was clearly put in to making them and making them aesthetically pleasing. But there was nothing good in them. I'm not after an environment simulator when I play a game. I like beautiful and varied locations but I like for there to be a reason to go to them and to have part of the games story or a side story happen in each place.

I think I'd like to see a repopulation as others have said. Towns in previously unpopulated places. Expansion of existing towns too but also changes to the landscape itself. Maybe a lot of excavation going on and new underground places and forgotten temples now unearthed.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I want to see a reconstructed Hyrule. There's likely to be a minor time skip which would give time for things to at least change somewhat. Many players have already explored every inch of Hyrule so it might actually be a good idea to have BotW2 take place in underground caverns. With that it would theoretically make exploration a little nicer as instead of a massive empty field, each crevice of the underground would likely be deliberate and have some kind of item to be found.

A lot of people want to see a renovated Hyrule. While this would be cool, I don't think that would be enough of a change to make the world feel fresh. I think the game would either have to take place underground, which would be a fairly new type of overworld (read: underworld) for the series; or, Hyrule needs to be massively transformed in some way (like the dark world from aLttP). Otherwise, the process of exploring a place we have already sunk hundreds of hours into over the course of multiple playthroughs is going to feel stale.

Last edited:
By adding underworld? A connected overworld beckons for networking tunnels and caverns to explore beneath it. BotW2's trailer started off right with that underground ruins bit, so if we see more of what's under Hyrule, I'll probably be content. Twilight Princess was a good start with all of the random caves with secrets in them; adding the open world "Skyrim-esque" flavor on top of that would be perfect for BotW2's direction, and would make the overworld exploration way more interesting than BotW.

By adding underworld? A connected overworld beckons for networking tunnels and caverns to explore beneath it. BotW2's trailer started off right with that underground ruins bit, so if we see more of what's under Hyrule, I'll probably be content. Twilight Princess was a good start with all of the random caves with secrets in them; adding the open world "Skyrim-esque" flavor on top of that would be perfect for BotW2's direction, and would make the overworld exploration way more interesting than BotW.

Hyrule hollow earth <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom