• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How to Keep My Cat Out.

Selda

Mysteries of the Deep
We have two hamsters in my room. We try to keep her blocked off by a gate but she some how opens it because it's open. What can i do. She was there this morning. And the gate was slightly open. I asked my parents if they opened it. Nope they didn't. So what can i do. Mom says i need to keep the door open.

I'm not sure how you could keep the cat out under those circumstances, but you could try putting the hamsters in a place where the cat can't reach them. :)

Selda

Mysteries of the Deep
No. I do have an older brother, but he never does things like that.
And a reply to Hero of time, i can't because my cat can jump quite high.

I assume you keep your hamsters in a cage, right? The best method here is to place them in a high up place where your cat can't reach or possibly close the door to the room when leaving preventing your cat from entering.

Also, even if your cat reaches the hamsters, I'm pretty sure it won't eat them. :P

Selda

Mysteries of the Deep
yeah, but she has reached them.
We don't want the hamsters to get scared.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Well, I'm not big on cats, so I would say just get rid of the cat. That would solve everything. But I know that won't happen, so yeah just try and put the hamsters in a spot when you're cat isn't looking and hopefully that might help, atleast for a little bit.

Rachel

be vigitant
Use one of those sprays that are yucky smelling for cats on the doorframe or the gate. Try out a different gate, distract the cat with a toy.

That's the thing with cats, though. They're always going to find a way to do as they please. I don't think you can really keep the cat out of your room, though I do know, that with aquariums--we use those for our gerbils--that you can ensure that the cat won't get in by purchasing clips to place on either side of the lid. I actually recommend you replace your hamsters' cage with a glass aquarium, though. For your two hamsters living together, 10 gallons would be good. You can find the clips in a pet store where they sell the wire lids for aquarium tanks (which you'll also want instead of the glass lid so your little guys don't suffocate).

We don't have any cats, and there'll be moments where our little guys are as freaked out as ever, but they always bounce back from it. It's instinct for them to get protective, whether or not it's due to the presence of your cat. So, they should be alright. Just make sure not to have the hamsters out of their cage when the cat enters the room. The cage will give them a sense of security.

I wish you luck.

Last edited:

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
If you really don't want the hamsters to get scared, you'll probably want to shut the door when you're not around.

Just have the room open when someone is around to keep an eye on the cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom