• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How soon will game graphics reach a plateau?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Each generation, these consoles push the envelope on how graphically powerful their systems can be. With games looking more and more photorealistic, when do you think games will just look the best they can look and that's it? The graphical jump b/w last gen and this really isn't much, and it's hard to imagine that next generation will be any different.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I think the last big jump for a generation was from 6th to 7th gen, but there are still individually impressive games that look better than their counterparts like Cyberpunk 2077, Horizon Forbidden West, and Luigi's Mansion 3. But with better graphics comes longer development time which I feel has become the real bottleneck in recent years.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Legend
Well, it really is quite nuanced.

First things first, texture, shadows, lighting, post-processing and such are pretty resource intensive. Still a reliable way these days to get a few more extra frames per second is to lower shadows.

So already, more powerful hardware is something that's always going to improve, as computer power improves.

Second, storage. Yes, a lot of games these days are physically larger, because all of those graphical improvements cost resources, and one of them is the game is larger. This puts a serious bottleneck on how it's stored. This has always been an issue with storing media, and that issue is likely not going to go away anytime soon.

Third, finally, is art style. Whatever we experience as consumers as a game is essentially a compromise from the original artistic vision of the developers. Artistic vision is going to influence the graphics of a game. Some types of art include dynamic lighting, which dynamic lighting with deep shadows, even if it's not photo-realistic, might turn out to be surprisingly resource intensive.

For example, sometimes certain artistic elements just can't transfer over across mediums. Something can look incredible as a painting, with subtle brush strokes, blends, and super light coloring, and just look dynamic. But let's put that same thing as a tattoo and.... it's not going to age well on someone's skin. So either the art has to have some license to be altered somewhat to work as a tattoo, or you'll want a different piece of art that works better for tattooing.

How these three things interplay is what we always see with game graphics. Computer power improves, which is both a blessing and a curse, as this can free artists and game designers to put out content closer to their original artistic vision, but it might be surprisingly resource intensive, and may be so large as to necessitate multiple discs to store it, or multiple GB's if it's digital.

Just my two cents.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
funnily I initially typed a sentence about The Last of Us and its PS5 remake and how it's hardly much of a difference
Yeah, i mean cgi in 2013 and earlier looked photoreal, so games are capable of it as well. It's just a question of what you're willing to do to render realistic graphics and whether that's worth it

I think game graphics reached a plateau somewhere in the PS4/XB1 generation. You can only get so photorealistic, and the differences between games that don't adopt a style like that will be even less apparent across generations.

MW7

I stopped caring about graphics around 2003 when Wind Waker came out. That's as good as graphics need to be in my opinion. Every improvement from console to console becomes less and less meaningful the further we go. I'm not blind and can see the difference between Gamecube and today, but I honestly have only occasionally thought about graphics a handful of times and most of those are about graphical style like how great the style of the Ori games is.

King Link

The Hero of the Kingdom
I think big budget gaming companies will just push and push until graphics become so realistic that you can’t tell the difference between the real world and the game world. Those levels of graphics will slowly become the norm and no one will now what to trust.

Reiquel

Pilot of Evangelion Unit 00
By 2011 I knew people who felt that graphical progression had slowed. Hard to tell what the future holds.

There's the age-old expression now that you don't need good graphics to make a good game.

Hyperdimension Neptuina on the other hand has a lot of room for improvement.

Daku Rinku

On Break (Will Not Be Online for Now)
ZD Champion
I think big budget gaming companies will just push and push until graphics become so realistic that you can’t tell the difference between the real world and the game world. Those levels of graphics will slowly become the norm and no one will now what to trust.
Some of later Call of Duty games were so hyper realistic they made me believe what you say. I think there will still be a place for cell shading, anime, and other styles for games.

Ashley the Witch

Monster: A word used to discriminate the unknown.
ZD Champion
To be honest, I think we have reached plateau in game graphics a long time ago already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom