• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Often Do You Use the Command Prompt?

Austin

Austin
*Open to users of all operating systems, despite what different name yours may call it by*

Simple thread with a simple question. I had a phase where I just stopped using Windows Explorer entirely and used the command prompt instead because I'm so hardcore, but these days I mainly just use it when I write up a Java program quickly in Notepad++ and want to compile and run it. Simple and efficient. I've broken Windows and had to fix it with the command prompt due to no other startup option working, but it was my own stupidity that caused the problem so I won't reminisce about it.

Kazumi

chagy
I honestly don't find myself using the command prompt very often. I do recognize it's powerful uses and the fact that it's commonly quite convenient, but it's just not something that I find myself doing that often. There are exceptions however. For example, just the other day when I needed to delete a partition on an HDD and extend a different one I found myself using Diskpart command-line utility. It's a powerful application that does what the built in Windows disk manager seemingly could not. So yes, the command prompt is handy from time to time but I don't find myself using it all that often.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I use command prompt for Perl, Ruby on Rails, and Python development and running scripts. I don't use it to replace Explorer. If you count remote shells, I use those very frequently to work on projects that are stored on school servers.

Since I run Linux, I use the terminal for every thing that isn't web browsing and listening to music. I watch videos with it, view images with it, browse my files, edit, remove, copy, move, every thing. I do every thing with my terminal.

I'm 100% with Beep here. Using the terminal is an easy way to get to everything I want on my computer. It's much easier and faster than searching through countless folders trying to find the file I want. I probably use the terminal more than the shortcuts on my desktop.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I personally don't use it much, although it opens up when I use some emulators among other things. The last I used it for was to delete a few files in an HKEY folder (thanks a lot, viruses).

I usually never use the command prompt as I usually don't use my computer for scripting and such.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Once upon a time My first PC ran on DOS 5.0. I only use it now for programs that require it or tracking down hard to find files.

I used it today on my friend's laptop. The wifi wasn't working so I typed ping Google and then proceded to have fun with the color comand. All I really know to do is type java bla into a bat file. I hate typing file paths.

Painmaster212

Spoony Bard
TBH i only use it when its needed such as booting into it to disable a virus on others PC or other common tasks nothing major at all.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I was taught to use a DOS computer in grade school since that was the current OS so I used to use it all the time for just about everything.

These days, I only ever use it to run DOS games in a specially created DOS command prompt which allows me to play the games of yesteryear. All I really use is the 'MOUNT' command and the 'CD' command as that is all it takes now to navigate to where the games are installed. I doubt I could ever use a DOS computer properly without a refresher course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom