• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How long do you like dungeons to be?

This is kind of a specific question but I've been wondering, what length of dungeon do people like the most? Do people like longer, more complex dungeons (e.g. twilight princess, skyward sword) or smaller, more fast-paced dungeons (e.g. a link between worlds)? What games and specific dungeons do you think handle this the best? Generally 3d dungeons are longer than 2d ones, so that's something to note.

I think a hearty half hour to an hour's good enough for me. I think if done well, in that time, you'd explore enough of the dungeon to understand its layout and piece things together and work from there to make your way to its end without feeling like it's extending the time you're there for.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
A half hour or so is a good chunk of time for a dungeon, I agree. It should be long enough and require enough exploration and investigation that it feels like an adventure all of its own. Sometimes this can even include the effort it takes to reach the dungeon itself. BotW and TotK had amazing dungeon buildup that were often as long as the dungeons themselves.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
My favorite type of dungeon is one where I can play for an hour or two, reach a convenient save point (like a fast travel back to the beginning) and pick it up for the next half the next time I play. It should have a good midpoint and be long enough that I can actually reach that midpoint and be like "aight that's enough". That's probably really specific but that's just how I play them.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Snowpeak Ruins. You mean I get to play an actual linear story while I complete a dungeon?! I have rarely gotten tired of a typical Zelda dungeon no matter the length but even though Snowpeak Ruins didn't have my favorite layout, puzzles, or theme, it was probably the most coherent dungeon I can remember. The less linear dungeons of TotK didn't hold my attention well, unfortunately. I don't know as I really have a preference as to length of the dungeon. Majora's Mask may have had the least dungeon content in comparison to the content in the rest of the world and it was great because Nintendo balanced it well.

DarthCreeper10

mowing my life away
ZD Champion
an hour from start to finish. It's probably just me but I have horrible patience lol. But it needs to be challenging anyways

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
As long as they need to be.

I don't really think there should be a standard length or format to a dungeon. Knowing ahead of time the layout and how long it'll take to beat kind of takes away from the danger and the mystery of it all. If they're all about the same length and g through the same structural beats then do they really feel like dangerous, unknown places?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom