• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern How Impractical Are Ruppes?

jbkarate9

KAME HAME HA!!!!
I mean how can Link put like 5 thousand of these in his wallet andf then in his pocket? They are huge! A huge wallet must be given to him! Anyone else agree?

I think rupees are impractical for other reasons in games now. In the Zelda series, fans have always wondered how Link can carry his many items, but no one really knows. So we accept it as more mysterious Zelda game mystery magic.

Rupees are now impractical, because any item you want to can find out in Hyrule field, or by killing enemies. I rarely ever have a point in the game where I want to spend them. Twilight princess took a step in the right direction with the purchasable Hawkeye item, and with the Armor that kept you invincible, but drained your rupees.

I hope that in Skyward Sword they find a way to make rupees a good thing to collect, so you actually want to spend them on good things.

I think the Zelda team did great handling rupees in Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. The limits were 5099 (bank), 5000, 1000 but had ways of spending money, 9999, and 9999. I felt like I always NEEDED rupees in those games. Kinstones, Triforce Charts, Chart deciphering, ship parts, train parts, collectibles, secret seashells, sidequests, bank rewards etc.

Twilight Princess was the only recent game that handled the money badly. There was not enough to buy and the rupees came easly, plus the limit was a joke and the fact that they made you keep rupees in chests if you were maxed, meant you had more useless money to waste. Skyward Sword needs a good rupee limit like 5000, or even 10000, and there needs to be collectibles or rewards that make you need to spend your money, and even search for money like in WW when you had to decipher all the charts for 980 something rupees a piece...

As for the rupees going into the pocket. I don't think you you want the Zelda team to throw a gigantic leather backpack the size of an elephant on Link's back. So lets just say, thank you fiction, and be done with it.

W

Wolfang31

I'd this discussion many times with my friends. But I always said it and, yes, Link-182 brings up a nice point : thank you fiction.

Sometimes, it's always better fancying mystery and fiction instead of asking questions that seems impossible to answer...

linkman8

True and Noble
Well if you think about it, Link is able to store anywhere from 1 to 99 bombs, arrows, and other sets of items simultaneously somewhere on his person, with no real place to put it. Without too much of a stretch of imagination, Link is able to put thousands of rupees inside of a wallet, which is designed for said purpose. (Wallet looks more like a bag, but oh well)
Either way, it's sort of unimportant. It's not like Hyrule is going to change to a paper currency backed up by gold.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Since by Phantom Hourglass' standards Link can hold up to 9999 rupees, there is no logical alternative other than to say that it will forever remain a mystery. There is no possible way that Link could even manage to lift 9999 rupees without using the Titan Mits, which he does not possess in most of the games.

The only thing I can say is that it is purely down to Nintendo Logic. Even if there was a way to carry immense amounts of currency, what about all of his other items of equipment?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Well, basically all items he carries are impractical. Like how does link carry around heavy boots, but only becomes heavy when they are on his feet?

N

Nogal

Well, basically all items he carries are impractical. Like how does link carry around heavy boots, but only becomes heavy when they are on his feet?

The glory of Hammerspace.

I personally felt TP had some steps in BOTH directions when discussing the economy. The shops and items were much better, I rarely bought items in previous zelda games, but in TP - I would frequent the shop and grab a to-go order of arrows, bombs, and potion before hitting the cave of ordeals or something. The problem was, rupees were far too easy to come by, and now my largest expense it that spot where you fight the four armored dudes that turn to ninjas in the ordeals.

Hammerspace has always been the reason Link can carry a ton of things (sometimes literrally a ton), at the same time. I mean, five thosand ruppes is nothing compared to 6 bottles, or 100 arrows. And he STILL can walk and run effortlesly. The point is that in videogames hammerspace is just as practical as it is in cartoons. But TP had a nice one to actually make hammerspace acceptable: Midna used her Twili powers to hide your items. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom